Sign in to follow this  
raewyn22

New ride - 89' E30 Touring 325i

What glue are you going to use?

I've had success with ados but it has to be brushed on not the spray type.

What glue are you going to use?

I've had success with ados but it has to be brushed on not the spray type.

Ados has been recommended to me. Apparently you can get it in spray form. How did you find it?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Ados has been recommended to me. Apparently you can get it in spray form. How did you find it?

I've used ADOS before on my old falcon, both brush on and spray type. The spray type lasted about 6 months, the brush on much longer, however I put on too much and it stained through a little bit.

I've used ADOS before on my old falcon, both brush on and spray type. The spray type lasted about 6 months, the brush on much longer, however I put on too much and it stained through a little bit.

When you say it last "much longer" how long did it last? This is a job I really wouldn't want to do again :(

I used the Ados spray stuff to try stick my headliner back up and it eventually just comes off again.

Although it's likely that it wasn't working well because it was me doing it while in the car, spraying the back board / fabric then sticking it up. Wasn't cleaning the surface or anything. It would stick up and look sweet for a couple months then eventually drop again. Especially with the windows down :mellow:

I used the Ados spray stuff to try stick my headliner back up and it eventually just comes off again. 

Although it's likely that it wasn't working well because it was me doing it while in the car, spraying the back board / fabric then sticking it up. Wasn't cleaning the surface or anything. It would stick up and look sweet for a couple months then eventually drop again. Especially with the windows down  :mellow:

thanks for that. I'm getting brand new fabric and will be cleaning the headlining board properly so hopefully will last a few years at least

When you say it last "much longer" how long did it last? This is a job I really wouldn't want to do again :(

I sold the car sorry, so can't answer but was still going strong after 1.5years.

Wurth extra strong spray adhesive - suitable for headlinings. Ados isn't flash for headlinings.

if i had to do again i would glue and then stitch a line horizontally every 100mm or so with some thread the same colour for some extra support??i used the 3M stuff in my silver e34 touring, came up okay but i see the car is on trademe at the moment and "headliner is a mess" so clearly didn't last very long.

In the end I paid someone to do the headlining for me, as lazy as it sounds I didn't have the time or patience to do it and their job has come out much better. Unfortunately they didn't leave an inch or so of fabric on the edge meaning that I have nothing to glue to the car itself (like E30Zone says), however I feel that it will be ok being held up by the grab handles, trims, door jam seals, sun visors etc.

Unfortunately with all of this rain the Touring has developed that "wet dog" smell meaning that there's some damp carpet somewhere. Appears to be under the pedal area so this weekend's main goal is to strip out the seats and lift out the carpet to take a look.

I hear that it pays to take out the dash too for space and to take the carpet out properly. I've already done it once in this car to replace the old cracked one with a shiny crack free one so know how tedious this job can be. Is it really necessary though?

With the interior out I am assuming it's going to be easier for the headlining re installation too - easier to move about the car.

Watch this space - photos to come over the next couple of weeks. I fear that I may not get what I need to get done over the next three days.

I've pulled the carpet out of e30s numerous times. Never removed the dash though, as I just made some cuts around the heater core, and leave a segment in there, as you will never see the split in the carpet.

But up to you if you want to go that route.

• Like 1

I've pulled the carpet out of e30s numerous times. Never removed the dash though, as I just made some cuts around the heater core, and leave a segment in there, as you will never see the split in the carpet.

But up to you if you want to go that route.

This is true. Any other advice you have for removing the carpet? I've never removed carpet before and find it's likely I will break some clips/trims in doing so...

This is true. Any other advice you have for removing the carpet? I've never removed carpet before and find it's likely I will break some clips/trims in doing so...

The main things I always manage to snap if they haven't been out before is the door trims. The ones on my touring were very firmly in there, and managed to snap the trim pulling it out.

Order that I take it all out in:

-Front Seats

-Base of rear seat

-Door trim

-B Pillar covers

-Centre console

-Make cuts around centre console

-Pull out carpet

Found it easier to flop it all onto one side, then manoeuver it out the front door.

Have it down to about 30minutes now.

• Like 1

The main things I always manage to snap if they haven't been out before is the door trims. The ones on my touring were very firmly in there, and managed to snap the trim pulling it out.

Order that I take it all out in:

-Front Seats

-Base of rear seat

-Door trim

-B Pillar covers

-Centre console

-Make cuts around centre console

-Pull out carpet

Found it easier to flop it all onto one side, then manoeuver it out the front door.

Have it down to about 30minutes now.

Thank you! I shall give that a go but will probably take 10 times as long as you.

Will let you know how I get on

yep above procedure,, and just make a few cuts and the carpet comes out, or if you don't want to cut it then you need to take dash and heater box out.

• Like 1

What a monumental shitstorm today. Ripped out the carpet and found it to be very damp on both drivers and passenger footwell areas. Found a rust hole that needs fixing which shouldn't be too hard.

The issue we found is water is going through the wiper vents and leaking into the cabin. Out with the dash - all ready to take out but need a second set of hands so that's a job for first thing tomorrow. On another note we will be giving the carpet one heck of a shampoo!

Bit of a mission but I suppose it will be worth it in the end.

lug34yqp.pwa.jpg

sgxpaghr.ncz.jpg

0r3342tv.ysj.jpg

• Like 1

Dash is out and car looks a mess. Found the drain blocked to buggery. Also seems as though water is getting through behind the heater matrix and running down the firewall on the drivers side. More investigation required but glad to get down to the bottom of it.

Also found a few other gremlins...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

yeah when that elephant trunk blocks the water can't get out, and does that. i usually cut the bottom off it so it has a much wider opening and then clean it out. sometime if the rubber seal is busted buy a new one they are only $20-30 or so from memory, haven't got one for a few years. i should check the one in the coupe actually, i know i have modded the one in the cabby already.

• Like 2

How are your fingernails clean? :blink:

How are your fingernails clean? :blink:

because Simon did all the work :P

• Like 2

because Simon did all the work :P

Oh no you didn't Andy!

I did most of it with the exception of the carpet cutting. Turns out carpet didn't even need to be cut since the whole damn thing is coming out anyway!

We have found the culprit though. Appears to be this part:

rpsphg30.n51.png

Leaking through like crazy.

• Like 1

Andy is right about cutting the bottoms off - It much safer, as they clog like anything! Even Dads E30, that spent most of it's time locked away, and not parked undfer trees when it was allowed out, used to nee a clean once a year - There's anways be a stray leaf or something.

I guess they were "valved" like that, to stop engine smelled being sucked in, but it reality, it doesn't happen (unless your engine is externally lubricated).

• Like 1

Posted Image

All fixed!! Gasket ordered then can start putting it all back together. Finally will be able to get that head lining in.

Might pay to fix those little rust spots on the floor while the carpet is out.

Might pay to fix those little rust spots on the floor while the carpet is out.

Definitely will be doing that, a light scuff and some proper paint will do the trick nicely. Pleasantly surprised with how little rust there is when you compare it to other E30s.

Struck it lucky with this one.

Though I love it, I must admit it's been awesome driving Simon's Subaru to work - bit of modern luxury that's for sure.