Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

Top 10 stolen cars

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10093011/Usual-suspects-top-most-stolen-car-list

List is out again,

I understand Cefiros Subarus and Accords... BUT Mazda Premacy!?!?

and the Top Gear Most Boring Car - The Nissan Sunny?

Someone please explain why thieves want these heaps of sh*t.

Cheers.

Edited by pldubs

Only 3 reasons for stealing a car:

1. To sell it
  2. To joyride
  3. To commit another crime in it

So thieves look for all types. Joyriders want fast and easy to break into, fencers want something they can sell (probably overseas) the rest want something unremarkable that noone will notice/remember... Which many of the cars in the list are.

• Like 1

Surprisingly no skylines? Saw a R34 GTR stolen posted on the SSE facebook page about a week ago.

Only 3 reasons for stealing a car:

• To sell it
  • To joyride
  • To commit another crime in it
So thieves look for all types. Joyriders want fast and easy to break into, fencers want something they can sell (probably overseas) the rest want something unremarkable that noone will notice/remember... Which many of the cars in the list are.
4) To get home.

without trying to stereotype ,sheer volume in the target areas for joyriders,go to a particular neighbourhood your going to find a lot of $hitbox vans/ people movers that were probably left unlocked and start with a spoon anyway,lots of people walking about the streets late at night

they not anyones pride and joy lets say but an easy find/take to do a ram raid or burg

Really need figures released by the NZ Police instead of AA Insurance. If NAC for example released the top stolen cars of their customers, then we would see a very different list of mainly jap turbo machines.

• Like 1

Have had two friends with Suby WRX turbo machines stolen from the streets of Christchurch. In one case parts were found the next day as part of a random inspection already cut up and on a boat off to some south east asian country. So not surprised they are up there.....

... Mazda people movers though?

If I was about to hold up the local post office it would be first choice... Who'd look twice at you?

Probably paedophiles as well.

Ah... yes... the AA.

Pretending to know about cars since forever.

• Like 1

Subaru's will always be on that list, our house got burgled 4 years ago, they were after the 04 V9 STI in the garage, which had no exhaust on it... it was alarmed in the garage sitting next to the boat, with the house alarm set.. and Anton got home after work at 1am, to our front door wide open, TV, PS3, Surround sound, Sky decoder, Car & Boat all gone, plus they went through all our drawers to find the keys for the subi, which were in Anton's pocket..

We had a 01 STI which we sold to a friend, and that got stolen from Sandringham.
The same friend then purchased a subaru legacy GTB (99) and that got stolen, then the lil buggars went to do a burglary and got busted in it... he ended up with the car back.

Anton also had a 98 Forester stolen from Mt Eden area....

We have had a huge long list of BMW's not one of them have been touched :)

Good old Brobaroos. My one that your old man brought into the country for me got nicked too.

I remember a customer of his at the time purchased a coupe that he had built up into a V5 STI. They parked somewhere on the way home from buying it and it was stolen. No insurance.

That was a long time ago though.

Subaru's will always be on that list, our house got burgled 4 years ago, they were after the 04 V9 STI in the garage, which had no exhaust on it... it was alarmed in the garage sitting next to the boat, with the house alarm set.. and Anton got home after work at 1am, to our front door wide open, TV, PS3, Surround sound, Sky decoder, Car & Boat all gone, plus they went through all our drawers to find the keys for the subi, which were in Anton's pocket..

We had a 01 STI which we sold to a friend, and that got stolen from Sandringham.

The same friend then purchased a subaru legacy GTB (99) and that got stolen, then the lil buggars went to do a burglary and got busted in it... he ended up with the car back.

Anton also had a 98 Forester stolen from Mt Eden area....

We have had a huge long list of BMW's not one of them have been touched :)

Probably many have tried and failed when it came to the bimmers, thank you EWS.

Probably many have tried and failed when it came to the bimmers, thank you EWS.

That is true!!

Shorty Galaxy S3

:(

Good old Brobaroos. My one that your old man brought into the country for me got nicked too.
I remember a customer of his at the time purchased a coupe that he had built up into a V5 STI. They parked somewhere on the way home from buying it and it was stolen. No insurance.
That was a long time ago though.

ahh yea. dad told me about some uni student who bough one from dad drove it home left it on garage all weekend took it to uni on the Monday, went to get paper work out of it at morning tea so he could organise insurance... it was gone. poor dude

Ha just remembered a teacher of mine who was from the UK bought a Subi off dad, and decided to ship it to the UK, dad told him not to just drop it at the wharf, but to drive it into the container and watch it be locked up.. He didn't do that, car arrives in the UK with a blown engine, smashed windscreen and the bonnet fold back on the roof..

Shorty Galaxy S3

Edited by Shorty

As per the Obsessive Security blog, the AA stats used are inaccurate, and the NZ Police stats are way more telling.

http://vehiclesecurity.co.nz/blog/

It's good to see at least some people are onto this rather than just take it as gospel. What the idiots at all the papers who re-print press releases like they are actual news fail to mention is how it all works.

AA Insurance simply take a percentage of the car models they have had stolen out of the overall figure they have and do a little touching up of the outliers. So if they had one Jensen Interceptor insured and it was stolen it would be 100%, making it by far NZ's most stolen vehicle! Now they do eliminate ones like that but you still get the same flawed methodology. Cars like Torneo's are high up the list because there are less of them insured as Torneo's than there are the exact same car down as a Accord. So if you have 100 of the same car in all respects but 10 of them use the JDM badge of Torneo and 90 are Accords, and then 4 of each badge are stolen, well then 40% of Torneo's are stolen vs much less Accords. It's a bit of an oversimplification but really it all shows statistics can show anything, yet yearly they get their name printed in all the papers right next to a reason why even you plain jane car should have insurance, it's a pretty good system for them!

I think they use the actual total number of reported vehicle stolen.... so the interceptor wouldn't show up, as there is only one. However, if they had 10,000 torneos insured, and 100 were stolen and they had 1000 accords insured, and 100 were stolen, they's be first equal... but the Torneo would still actually be less likely to be stolen, because statistically 1% of Torneos would be stolen, and 10% of Accords...

Of ALL organisations with "Automobile" in their name, the AA is probably the LEAST knowledgable about cars.

Subaru was the most imported car for a LOT years, so it's not surprising they were seen to be "often stolen" - if there's twice as many of them, that would double the rate as a start! I'm sure a LOT of Torneos were imported too.

Edited by Allanw

It's percentage not overall, I know this. :) If they used outright numbers it would be just as flawed, then if they didn't insure Subaru's for some reason they would say no Subaru's were stolen and they'd fall of the list. It's always tricky when the information source only has their part of the picture.

And it doesn't help them that the insurance company are actually only minority owned by the actual AA anyway, not that the AA know much about cars themselves.