Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Touring to Ute Project

Haha yea about that paint, decided that Unicorn blood blue wasn't going to do it for the over all look, so im currently tinkering with a nice semi dark Matte Bronze. Waiting for a few test panels to be made up

POsted this in my thread already but if the Blue option is still on the table this could be nice on it.

kk%202%20085_zpstntaglzp.jpg

• Like 3

That is a nice blue actually, ill have to try get the colour code of that some how.

These are the bronze colours im looking at, but I guess when I get a few test panels of all the different colours together, ill have to chose the one that looks best on the car

post-2466-0-65781900-1445986378_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-02551200-1445986404.jpg

post-2466-0-29606300-1445986501.jpg

• Like 1

It's Estoril Blue with a darker undercoat but if I where you I'd forget that.

I really really like those bronze pics. Almost like faded copper. Very nice and would look amazing on the ute.

Ah like the new F series cars? I do have 2 other project cars that I need to paint when completed, and I was going to paint the E46 a baby blue of sorts. Might look into this Estoril Blue business because a mate has F30 in this colour and it is one of the better blues I think

• Like 2

As for the rust - that seems severe for that vehicle?

• Like 2

As for the rust - that seems severe for that vehicle?

UK import? Looks like what some of the guys on the UK forums deal with!

Paint it a Rustoleum colour $12 a can at bunnings... easy to touch up :lol:

How about "key lime"?

4373391794_5d70b5ca7b_b.jpg

Rustoleum "real orange" justhappens to be the same colour as my VW Beetle.

• Like 1

Yep, UK import. So its certainly been around the block. But in all fairness, the undercarriage is the only parts that I have found rust. Like there was some in the rear side of the roof, but that didn't bother me too much. But its just time consuming removing the rusty parts.

Rustoleum sounds dangerous. Sounds like something that the English would sell to another country for their tea.

Started on the rear hinge for the tailgate. What an engineering mind f'k as there are so many angles to consider when opening and closing as it will be semi square when closed, but half moon when open due to the bend of the tailgate. But after a few hours of measuring and testing, seem to have it on the right angle. Wont have any nasty bolts sticking through, just needed that for lining up.

Just need to figure out how to work around the one small chassis piece that is stopping it from fully closing and then re think the locking system.

Sorry about the crappy images, had to use the iPod

post-2466-0-49490300-1446150393_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-64709200-1446150612_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-49156000-1446150664.jpg

post-2466-0-70653300-1446150676.jpg

Edited by FrancoisPV

Instead of fabricating your own solution, have you though about grabbing a hinge system and locking machism from something like a ford or holden ute ? Just steal it all and patch it in. Done

• Like 1

Wouldn't the lower part of an X5's rear gate be perfect for stealing ideas and parts from. It does the same movement you're looking to do with this.

have a X5 parts car about to go off to scrap if you want to check it out

has the split tail gate system , I only have the bottom half on the car now

• Like 2

Do we know if the X5 tail gate is curved from left to right? that's the issue with this project, is that the tailgate is curved and not straight.

I have tried 2 set ups from a holden and have recently received the tailgate locks used on a XungYung thingy, these locks look like they might work, but will have to see.

Nooo, this hasn't been abandoned or forgotten :-)

For the last 2-3 months its been as a fabricator / engineering shop having its under body rust fixed and chassis re structured. It has since been brought back to the warehouse where it is currently having the last bits of fabrication work done to complete the FULL conversion to Ute status - Eta is end of next month where it will also be send in for paint.

Now, its just deciding what to do about the motor. Original plan was for a M62, but the motor is just too long gone. So will be either seeking a replacement M62, or fork out for a S62, or as some have previously suggested, go down the N44 route, so there will be some interesting decisions to be made...

Ill get some pics up soon

• Like 5