Sign in to follow this  
Arma

BMW Alpina B5 (e60)

Reckon a 2 speed auto would be all that is needed with 700nm on tap.

Cruise and Burnout?

• Like 1

Haha! Funny... Strikes me, Ron, that 90% of your posts are about justifying your personal opinion manual vs auto... Which is probably why a few jibes have headed your way.

Ha, exactly as I was was thinking but didn't bother to post. I love manuals too, but also have no issue with autos & would rather them in certain cars - horses for courses. No offence Ron but you do polarise yourself on this & as above - tend to pedal your opinions as to what others should aspire to.

We are a bit more advanced than 2 speed yank autos now though.... Do you even know know what modern autos are up to? :blink:

I love manuals as much as the next (normal) guy, but i also love having a CVT for my daily. Wouldnt go back to a manual daily.

Its a love or hate thing i find. I love it, so much smoother than a conventional auto and its easier to keep in the power band. It has its quirks, sure, but so does everything.

Plus, being able to put your foot down and having the car hold at peak power whilst accelerating is great fun (as much fun as a 120hp 1.5L iVtec engine can be).

Auto for my road car. Manual for my race car.

Stuff sitting in traffic with a manual.

Rather have an Auto for towing my racecar too. Cruise control. Steer. Only other thing to worry about is the wankers around you.

• Like 1

Ron, you are continually pushing your barrow on you liking manuals only (pretty much). And reading between lines in your posts i get the impression that you sometimes question people that would choose auto, almost to the point of belittling their ability to "drive"

e.g. one post where you suggest it being an "old mans uber cruiser", & in the next saying "perfect for pedal mashers - wide of the mark for drivers" Pretty judgmental of people who choose to drive autos i reacon.

Also, I don't recall anywhere that anyone has suggested an argument that an auto is "superior" to a manual for road use.

Again, it's horses for courses, for a lot of people that drive in this country - an auto is probably the best for them (& us) :ph34r:, while others may choose auto over manual, but doesn't follow that they are less of a driver.

My E39 - i like it as an auto but if I had an M5 then, apart from there being no choice, no way would i want that in auto.

Years ago I had an Audi Coupe Quattro - in manual, no way I would have wanted that car in auto. Similarly, I used to have a Nissan Terrano for a work ute, I remember sifting through sh*t loads to find a manual. I hate the earlier Jap diesel auto's.

Finally! A whole page devoted to NOT discussing the subject of the OP. So much win!

• Like 1

Auto for my road car. Manual for my race car.

Stuff sitting in traffic with a manual.

Rather have an Auto for towing my racecar too. Cruise control. Steer. Only other thing to worry about is the wankers around you.

This.

I have a Honda Fit as the daily because its cheap to run, comfortable, heaps of space and the CVT makes it a lot more tolerable to be in for 2 hours every day (and still only covering 50KM a day). I used to drive manuals daily, for years, and since changing to auto for a daily, i wouldnt go back.

I also have my M3, which of course is a manual, and for a weekend toy i would want nothing else.

And Ron, in terms of your dislike for automatics, you come across as both arrogant and ignorant. Youre probably a real good guy outside of the internet, but on here youre a dick. Its always wank wank wank manual manual manual.

Manuals are great, Autos have their place, and i like CVT. Thats all i have to say on the subject. Im out.

I have nothing to say on this subject except:

People who drive autos are lazy!

:bigguns: ;p

The two speed comment was in direct response to the earlier post by (You) KWS

Yes I drive modern autos , CVT's Tiptronics etc. every week in my day job and I get to drive them extensively like Christchurch to Greymouth and Nelson to Christchurch, Dunedin to Wanaka. I even owned one about 30 years ago but that was only because the manufacturer couldn't make a decent manual and unfortunately the auto wasn't up to it either.

And its not Love or Hate -- that's just subjective crap. I have yet to see a convincing argument with facts that demonstrates the superiority of an auto (with torque convertor) for road use ( or experience a benefit) . SMG and DCT have merits and in certain circumstances are superior e.g. 7speed DCT faster shifting and better matching than 6 speed manual.

I also drive modern manuals from a 200kg bike to a 15 tonne truck on a weekly basis

Dave's comment about SMG is interesting in as much as some forums are suggesting it will make a comeback because it is "functionally " superior to DCT and lighter

Get a room you two :-P

Manuals are FAR superior because EVERY ROAD is a race track...

The Alpina is a beauty - Hope it goes to a good home.

• Like 1

You can't import that unless it meets Euro 4 emissions standards unfortunately.

You can't import that unless it meets Euro 4 emissions standards unfortunately.

Could you not bring it in under special vehicle dispensation due to volume of vehicles produced?

Could you not bring it in under special vehicle dispensation due to volume of vehicles produced?

Good point. I see the car on T/M is arriving later this month so it'll have the same issue of not being Euro4??

Edit. To answer my question I asked the seller, his reply...

Quote You wont need SIV permit. Euro 4 and/or 3 digit Japanese emission code.

Edited by DC3

Hmm, that could get interesting! It's not just ANY Japanese emission code, only the ones which are equivalent (or better) then the Euro IV - I wonder if the importer realises this from his reply?

Plus it will be the emissions of the Alpina modded car, not the base BMW E60 that you will need to prove, and that could be a mission in itself.

It's quite funny how many people bring cars in that can't be complied, and don't realise it. Some of them can get quite shitty about it too...

and thats why we end up with so many cheap donor cars on TM for projects

I looked at a LHD 1993 E31 850i recently that had just arrived from Japan. 21 years old and left hand drive... Can't have been SIV as the dealer wouldn't be able to sell it for 4 years! No idea how he got it through but obviously dealers know some things that us ordinary folk don't.

dont think it needs to be SIV at that age, same with all the R32 GTRs and E36 M3s flooding the country. I think it just complies straight away now

Edited by KwS

But no way it would meet current frontal impact or emissions laws.

I think the only time you can import a car that doesn't meet Euro 4 emissions laws and new frontal impact standards is if it's 20 years old or something of that nature. I recall from when I imported my 335i it was something along those lines.

Pretty certain cars are only exempt if imported as special interest... Otherwise people would import all manor of old cheap cars.

Weird I know. I don't understand the logic in not allowing certain vehicles in but making a blanket exception for all cars 20 years older or more. But then we are talking about government agencies here.