Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Debadging & M-badge

Shaven, not stirred...

i think i need 17's and a good sacking

OK, I've been thinking (a rare thing). If it has black stitching on the steering wheel, if definitely should not be ///M'ed. BMW only put the ///M steering wheels into cars they deem worthy in my experience. So if it has the tri-colour stitching, you have a legitimate argument to badge it up.

No offence because me included, but we are such a bunch of BMW geeks its not funny.

OK, I've been thinking (a rare thing). If it has black stitching on the steering wheel, if definitely should not be ///M'ed. BMW only put the ///M steering wheels into cars they deem worthy in my experience. So if it has the tri-colour stitching, you have a legitimate argument to badge it up.

It has tri-colour stitching and an ///M badge as well.. ;)

Actually don't quote me on that, not 100% about the stitching but it does definitely have the ///M on the steering wheel as well..

http://202.21.128.20/photoserver/66/13462066_full.jpg

Edited by a13antichrist

No offence because me included, but we are such a bunch of BMW geeks its not funny.

Too true!

Its only a ///M badge,not a M3 badge.

Its your car bro, do whatever you want.

I might take my badge off my car, would you want to buy it? i think they are around $55 new from dealers .. you want mine for $35? You just need to get some doublesided tape and stick it on.

It's in great condition only 1year and 4months old ...

Just be reall really careful you don't take big chunks of paint off when you do it. Large chunks of paint flaking, water getting in there too, soon the rust has set in, it will spread. Could make it un-WOF-able, pretty much a write off, except your insurance won't cover it.

Basically its a massive risk you are taking. Is it worth it? Is it? Huh?

hahah .. sure i'll do it .. $35 for some rust .. yeah .. why not .. hahah ..

hrmmm maybe check the gearknob .. im sure they stitched the same colours into the M3 5 speed manual gearknob :wacko:

Hmmmm. Well will debadge & see how I like that for a start.

Yeah I live across the road from the town hall, often have it outside over the weekend. What did ya reckon about the wing in person? To be honest it's growing on me a little...

cool, we'll have to bust a bevie or two then one day. My mate lives kinda across from the town hall, he lives in the apartments above the video games place. Personally I wasn't too keen on the wing, however I think I have seen a M3 wing which is kinda similar which has a boot lid spoiler as well as the shopping trolley looking thing.

hrmmm maybe check the gearknob .. im sure they stitched the same colours into the M3 5 speed manual gearknob :wacko:

Well I haven't checked yet but I don't remember noticing that.. but thinking about it I think you're right about what you said earlier about automatics & motorsport... can't really do the name justice unless it's manual so I'll forget about that..

Deftones, sounds good. I'll have that wing off & M3 mirrors on hopefully by the end of next week. :)

I think we've done the M3 vs M badged 3-series to death now, but here's me:

My car is a 318, 2.0L. Bought from the dealer, ex-BMW corporate car with ~7,000km on the clock. It had the model badge deleted, and the //M emblem on the back. M-sport suspension, stock engine, M-sport steering wheel, rear lip spoiler, etc.

Summary: I didn't put an M badge on, it was there from the factory.

After 10 days of owning the car, the //M badge has been ripped off by some gimp, no other damage to the car. I haven't replaced it since (that was 2 years ago).

What do you guys think?

post-8-1131000520.jpg

yes richard every nz 535 i have seen looked like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

now completely badgeless...

Except for our one......it's car dealer pikkies...

post-8-1131006920.jpg

there is a whole spiel you can go into about m badges, but i do agree with the point of view that the m badge has turned from being something special (e30 m3, e28m5 etc) into a marketing tool...where you see it on every other e36/e39 and e46's coming from the factory with them. you can differentiate between the m specced models and the proper m3/m5/m6 but it just seems to dilute the image it holds. but then the whole bmw image is being diluted a little too so i only suppose it is right. thats probably why the tuner companies alpina/hartge/schnitzer do so well, they actually aren't common.

Except for our one......it's car dealer pikkies...
That is a very nice colour 535is that you have there RXSUMO (I'm biased though :) )

Yes I think I'll be debadging. I'm also getting sick of people asking "Is that an M car" Then I have to go through the rigmarole of explaining that it isn't even close to an M5.

I just saw this smiley. Looks like a pint of Guinness, I could do with one of those this evening! :beer:

Edited by bezzal

isn't even close to an M5

its the closest you can get...the inside is virtually identical as is the bodykit

its the closest you can get...the inside is virtually identical as is the bodykit

Ah this is getting a little off topic......but....

My description is that its the closest you will get to a M5 without the hassles of the twin cam motor and its associated servicing costs....in fact Cain's car is the best of all worlds because you have the horsepower of the early M5's.

In actual fact these cars were better spec'd than the M5's,

The M5s got lower suspension, bigger brakes, the boot luggage straps, and the rear number plate filler panel.

My car got all the standard interior stuff from the M5 (except the oil temp gauge dash) and added to our cars were climate air, the rear boot spoilers that werent standard on the M5, and our cars on the big metric wheels had a bigger wheel and tyre combo that the M5, I'm not too suer if the M5s got the premium sound system either

A mate of mine has owned a few BMWs around the early 90's including a E32 735, E34 535iA and a 3.6 E34 M5, and actually rated our car better than the M5.

The M5 may have HP, but its at a cost to low down torque. The M5's suspension is also quite a bit harsher to the M-Tech fitted to our cars, affecting ride comfort.

NZ roads really dont suit Autobahn suspension setups.

Right well back on the subject.. debaged the car today. Actually finished right about four minutes ago. Biggest job was re-routing the carpark extension cord so that I could plug it into my flatmate's hairdryer.. Anyway I think I must have been a little too sparing with the hot air because when I came to take to it with the dental floss, I was basically just cutting through the sponge backing on the underside of the badge, rather than peeling through the warmed-up adhesive. So once I had the badges off, I was left with a bigger job of peeling off the left-over sponging. Was able to get this off without too much hassle just by pulling/scratching at it with my fingers.

Then comes getting off the actual left-over adhesive. This was actually the bit I did right. I've always been a fan of methylated spirits.. use it on my PC all the time to clean up fried-on Artic Silver, and it also cleans up CD case stickers brilliantly. A little bit of rubbing and that adhesive backing pretty much just leaps off your car. I can now state for a fake that it won't bother your paint-job one bit either, although it will take off your wax. So I now have one sparkling, shiny and empty rear boot lid. :) Next job, de-spoiler & M3 mirrors. B)

Edited by a13antichrist

When i did it i didn't use a heatgun/hair drier .. and the adhesive came straight off WITH the badge ... then i just used some wax a cleaned up the left over stuff ...