Debadging & M-badge

I'm of the opinion that the following BMWs should have M badges:

All M3, M5, M6's plus:

e28 M528i

e28 M535i

e30 M325i

e34 M535i

Possibly e36 M328i...

The 'iS' and 'iC' desigations are significant enough to cover the remaining cars that are in some way different.

It used to be that seeing an M badge instantly signified something special, not the case anymore.

Ash

its the closest you can get...the inside is virtually identical as is the bodykit

Yes but $15,000 and 100hp and the EDC suspension, are certainly differences that I think certiainly are considerable and will show up very quickly when pushing on. Apperances are similar, until you open the bonnet. So I still maintain our cars are not even close. There is also something intangable about an //M being handbuilt (at least until the last of the M5 e34's) that adds to the car. IMHO. :)

I personally am quite happy to not have the maintance costs involved with M cars, and as I drive it everyday it is by far a better option for me. (renovation on the house is sucking all my money at the moment so it is a moot point)

I've had very little quality time with the car, heading down to Qtown next week and I can't wait. Bring on the Lindus Pass and the Kawarau Gorge.

Back on Topic:

Both have their place, M cars vs Mtech equipped cars.

But this brings us to the point of this whole thread.

Either the car is or isn't a //M car, and in my opinion there are no shades of //M cars.

I suppose then the question is has the car got enough goodies on it to warrent badging it to identify the car as so equipped. The opinion of our learned friend's here in the forum has certinaly answered that. It comes down to a personal thing. Unfortunatly the badging BMW have choosen is ambiguous.

So if you want people to think your car is something it isn't, then badge away. More power to ya.

Well that is a bit of a rant and I hope no one is offended. Thanks Andrew for a great Forum.

After this discussion, there is no way to say that this isnt a Bmw Enthusiasts place.. hahah Tune in next week for discussion on oil. :lol:

Specific M badges i.e. M3 only on actual M3's.

M badges are ok on mtechnic cars meaning at least suspension and kit

Mbadges on self modified only if it is pretty much OEM stuff

Otherwise youd be putting on schnitzer or dinan badges which you get for buying their stuff.

PS. I think I saw you parked outside the Wellington Town Hall on Saturday. First thing I noticed was the wing, and thought, ah, I've seen this car before. :)

Saw you coming down Willis St this afternoon round 6, recognised the pic you posted earlier... if I didn't have a gaping wound in the side of my car to patch up I was gonna jump in the car & chase ya.. hehe.

PS.  I think I saw you parked outside the Wellington Town Hall on Saturday.  First thing I noticed was the wing, and thought, ah, I've seen this car before. :)

Saw you coming down Willis St this afternoon round 6, recognised the pic you posted earlier... if I didn't have a gaping wound in the side of my car to patch up I was gonna jump in the car & chase ya.. hehe.
Yup, that'd be right. I was on my way to do that corporate challenge run thingee. :) I live just off Aro St.

I'm of the opinion that the following BMWs should have M badges:

All M3, M5, M6's plus:

e28 M528i

e28 M535i

e30 M325i

e34 M535i

Possibly e36 M328i...

The 'iS' and 'iC' desigations are significant enough to cover the remaining cars that are in some way different.

It used to be that seeing an M badge instantly signified something special, not the case anymore.

Ash

Here is lies the problem.

The M designation (except for real "M" ie Motorsport Built/Powered cars), has been abused by BMW/BMW dealers since around the E34 days, along with the designation like iS etc.

The E34 M535i was a British Market designation used to flog off the 1989 cars, where BMW UK was hoping to capitalise on the success of the last true M535...the E28, which was built by the Motorsport team. The British Market then moved to the iS or Sport designation.

The iS designation in NZ was used to sell our "special" manual cars, but it was a marketing term only, there was never a 1990 535iS sold in the NZ market that left the factory as a 535iS, they were just special build, manual 535i's.

Obviously since then the little "M" badge has probably been fitted by the dealers all over the world to anything that has had a least 1 item from the Motorsport Catelog.

At the end of the day the badges are really only trinket items that really add no value to the car, unless the car is actually a Motorsport car, and I view them as no different to putting a FPR sticker on the back window of your Falcon.

e34 M535i

No such thing

Kiwi535's must be a motorsport its got the Rally Edition mudflaps

they are huge

not any more James....gone to the south pacific tyres recycling plant,should get two 155 x 14 out of them Edited by kiwi535

Obviously since then the little "M" badge has probably been fitted by the dealers all over the world to anything that has had a least 1 item from the Motorsport Catelog.

At the end of the day the badges are really only trinket items that really add no value to the car, unless the car is actually a Motorsport car, and I view them as no different to putting a FPR sticker on the back window of your Falcon.

See now here's the thing.. this is my second E36 and both have had the M-sport side mouldings & badges, coloured stitching on the steering wheel but neither had the badge on the back. Then today I saw one with the model badge as well as the ///M badge, so it was ///M325i.. but it didn't have the side mouldings or badges and looked totally like this guy had bought the ///M badge and stuck it on in an attempt to fool people.. though it's not at all the first time I've seen that config. I always figured they had something else that mine didn't.. though as you say it's probably just the dealers trying to up the value a little.

:D Having read this very long post on the topic of M badges - pros and cons, I think that if having spent $$$ and much time building something special, why not add that finishing touch by adding an M badge - yes, we all know its not an M3 - but who cares, I intend badging mine with an M when I have finished. My thoughts anyway.