Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1991 E31 850i

Not an OE option but there were some aftermarket ones around, probably hard to get now. Personally, I think clear indicators would like cheap on the 8.

BE31-SP-1_zps202780ef.jpg

• Like 1

hmm seeing it on the red car doesnt look good..

how about redding it all? looks good on e30s

1) It's illegal to tint the indicators red

2) Completely red would look a bit too 'murican IMO

3) The stock light has a red dot matrix already, so it doesn't look bright amber

4) I like it the way it is

• Like 1

Fine for me and I'm just under six foot but Martin (breakmywindow) was pretty much touching the headlining with the seat fully lowered and he's 6'2"ish, though he does like an upright seat position. If you don't mind driving like a teenager with the seat back (and your rear passengers have no legs), it'll be comfortable at most heights! haha

But yeah... In all seriousness, if you're over six foot it's probably not the best car for you.

Jules can you pleeeaaase get a proper Euro plate? I know I'm way too fussy about plates but I can't stand those replica cover things!

• Like 1

It's on the list but really not a priority. At $400 for a legal euro plate (not even a p plate), there are plenty of things I would rather spend the money on.

• Like 2

I agree. Boycott on PP, they can stick their prices where the sun dont shine.

• Like 3

Went for a fun drive up to Puhoi yesterday for lunch in convoy with Alan Ferguson and one (of his 10) 8ers - an immaculate Orient Blue '94 850csi. It has a race exhaust removed from his M8 replica race car and looks and sounds fantastic. It has certainly made me realise how far I've got to go with mine to get it up to scratch!!

Awesome driving alongside and in convoy with this machine and we attracted a few interested looks! Also enjoyed some pacey sections but it has highlighted a steering issue that replacing the Pitman arm has not fixed in my car and it's a little bit scary when you hit any bumps at 100kph+. More about that in my project log... In the meantime some pics (phone quality only, sorry).

Mine definitely needs more lows compared to the csi - though it is running on stock 17" T-stars (thanks to Andy for spotting they're on backwards, Alan is already rectifying as it came back from the paint shop like that!).

15520776075_4dc26f359b_z.jpg

15334032610_4e41bf7694_z.jpg

15520778205_28bc61637a_z.jpg

15334034820_4c4fe812db_z.jpg

10645144_10202999620966798_2493341951484

Edited by jeffbebe

That colour must look so good in real life.

And i will repeat here again: i think t stars look better wrong way round

That is so sexy.

really highlights the difference between the CSi & standard 850.

(no disrespect meant towards your car Jooles)

Edited by M5V8

really highlights the difference between the CSi & standard 850.

(no disrespect meant towards your car Jooles)

Don't worry, it's worth $20-30K more than mine!! The only coachwork differences are the sport mirrors and csi front lip and rear diffuser but the front lip does make a helluva difference. It really modernises the front end, and gets rid of that late 80s/early 90s shark-like nose. The Csi suspension is a touch lower but it's exaggerated by the smaller wheels in the pics... Obviously the real differences are under the hood. I haven't driven one yet but I bet it's pretty special but then expect to pay $40K+ for a decent one.

Looks like a fun day!

It was!

That colour must look so good in real life.

Yep, looks exceptional. One of those colours that can change from a bright royal blue in full sun, to a dark marine blue in the shade. Awesome colour and car.

Very jealous Jooles. Sounds like a great day. Many years ago we had a convoy of v8 powered E31's head out to Raglan for a day. I really enjoyed that.

Everyone has their own opinions but I personally think the t-stars (despite being 17's) look dwarfed on the e31. To me, your wheels look superior. However, when the time comes around it will be a great idea to add that front spoiler. As you say, it really modernizes the look and gives it more of an aggressive profile. The old E31's that left the factory sans body kit that sat on those naff looking 16" cross spokes look vastly different to the vehicles equipped with the M tech csi body kit with m mirrors. Poles apart.

Your car is looking great. Keep chipping away at it. I am obviously biased but I look at those photos and it reminds me of how beautiful the 8 series is. A one of a kind BMW which still impresses with its looks 25 years later after it was launched.

By the way, talking of 850csi's, one of the 3 that were delivered to Australia new came up for sale recently. $100k AUD.

By the way, talking of 850csi's, one of the 3 that were delivered to Australia new came up for sale recently. $100k AUD.

Jeepers. That seems a little OTT when you can pick (albeit a bit rough) one up in the UK for sub GBP10K. I seem to remember Aussie's got tougher compliance laws on old cars which might explain the price. Still, it's a reminder that these are starting to appreciate... Apart from the really rough standard 850s. Feel pretty lucky with what I picked mine up for.

Very jealous Jooles. Sounds like a great day. Many years ago we had a convoy of v8 powered E31's head out to Raglan for a day. I really enjoyed that.

Everyone has their own opinions but I personally think the t-stars (despite being 17's) look dwarfed on the e31. To me, your wheels look superior. However, when the time comes around it will be a great idea to add that front spoiler. As you say, it really modernizes the look and gives it more of an aggressive profile. The old E31's that left the factory sans body kit that sat on those naff looking 16" cross spokes look vastly different to the vehicles equipped with the M tech csi body kit with m mirrors. Poles apart.

Your car is looking great. Keep chipping away at it. I am obviously biased but I look at those photos and it reminds me of how beautiful the 8 series is. A one of a kind BMW which still impresses with its looks 25 years later after it was launched.

Hear hear. Will be good to see a bunch of 8s at Bimmerfest in November but Alan and I will try and get a few more people into some regular cruises.

Would love to see your manual 840i in the flesh... A bit of a rarity!

We'll the Australian market has always been like that. They were extremely rare in Australia in the first place and they are highly sought after.

Somehow I don't think many in NZ would appear for around 40k though. It would have to be a fairly high k example. By the way, I understand that the car depicted here that Alan owns was an ex BMW UK press car. The same one that Jeremy Clarkson waxes about on Top gear.

By the way, I do have some intriguing market intel. Australia had over 100 4.0 840's delivered new. Then 52 4.4 840's. All were given the automatic gear-box.

Nz had 17 4.0 liter 840's delivered. 5 with 6 speed manual gear boxes. We in turn had 3 4.4's delivered. One in manual.

Bizarre - don't you think that Oz all got auto's and 30% of our NZ new cars were given 6 speed manuals?

Mate I'd love to be involved in a drive. I am not going to home for the 25 year anniversary gig t Hampton Downs. Will be home around Xmas. Maybe we can catch up around then for a drive?

Jeepers. That seems a little OTT when you can pick (albeit a bit rough) one up in the UK for sub GBP10K. I seem to remember Aussie's got tougher compliance laws on old cars which might explain the price. Still, it's a reminder that these are starting to appreciate... Apart from the really rough standard 850s. Feel pretty lucky with what I picked mine up for.

Hear hear. Will be good to see a bunch of 8s at Bimmerfest in November but Alan and I will try and get a few more people into some regular cruises.

Would love to see your manual 840i in the flesh... A bit of a rarity!

I bet a manual 840i goes quicker too :o

Mate I'd love to be involved in a drive. I am not going to home for the 25 year anniversary gig t Hampton Downs. Will be home around Xmas. Maybe we can catch up around then for a drive?

I'll be around for sure and there are plenty of members who will be keen for a drive... Might even be able to rustle up one or two more 8s!

I bet a manual 840i goes quicker too :o

Depending on whose driving ;) A lot of the E31 nuts on the international forums seem to think the 5hp30 mated with the M73 is better than its manual counterpart and faster for most drivers... Jury's out. I'm enjoying mine at the moment but miss the 5 speed and tiptronic but if it came to a swap I'd rather do a manual... Just need to find a box I can afford that will fit.

For me personally, I drove 3 examples of 4.0 liter 840ci autos previously and every time walked away feeling underwhelmed -sad considering I had dreamt about owning a 8 since I was young in 1990.

However, when I test drove my 4.4 manual I felt it was very different and a lot more fun. Definitely felt quicker. Not sure why BMW seemed to think that autos were the way to go for the E31- they do feel rather nice with a manual gear-box.

• Like 1

For me personally, I drove 3 examples of 4.0 liter 840ci autos previously and every time walked away feeling underwhelmed -sad considering I had dreamt about owning a 8 since I was young in 1990.

However, when I test drove my 4.4 manual I felt it was very different and a lot more fun. Definitely felt quicker. Not sure why BMW seemed to think that autos were the way to go for the E31- they do feel rather nice with a manual gear-box.

Oooh no not this sh*t again,though a manual for me everytime,though my present vehicle is the first auto I have ever owned,after several months I wish it was manual even the tiptronic id average