Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Do you mean the bush #15 in this diagram?

4.png

The centre tie rod (#9) and Pitman arm (#10) are both new. I've checked the swivel joint on the steering column and it seems fine and there doesn't seem to be any play in the steering box, though there is definitely a wee bit of play in the column which I suspect is the worn bush I mentioned earlier where the column goes through the firewall but not sure it would be responsible for the violent shudder over bumps.

Probably shocks and possibly one or two bushes.

yes part 15..

yes stuffed shocks will cause it to shudder too , I have same issue in my e34 540iT at the moment getting swapped out as we speak :)

Still no sign of the new shocks :( so have been continuing work on getting the engine bay straight. Painted the air boxes a couple of days ago using Krylon Fusion paint (which is awesome and physically bonds to plastic so it won't peel).

post-16586-0-74260500-1415819588_thumb.j

Came out well. This is what it looked like when I bought it...

post-16586-0-46496000-1415819644.jpg

And now...

post-16586-0-37537900-1415819632_thumb.j

• Like 2

Going to try out the Krylon paint on the washer tanks next... Get rid of that ugly yellowing plastic.

oh wow, love what you have done with the engine bay. Looks a billion times better.

• Like 1

could i use this to spray paint my phone's plastic chrome trim?

just a thought....

could i use this to spray paint my phone's plastic chrome trim?

just a thought....

I think the chrome finish would act as a barrier between the paint and the plastic. Don't think the paint would bond with the chrome finish just as normal paint will not adhere properly.

Sand the chrome off and it would work. Or just leave it... It's only a phone!

• Like 1

It'll withstand any temps that the plastic you're painting will withstand. It's not suitable for metal and I'll be using high heat paint for the manifolds and valve cover (as I did for the engine cover, though, in hindsight, that was probably unnecessary and would have been way less hassle with Kyrlon). May redo it at some point.

LUSH nothing better than a clean engine bay!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Next project (well, one of many on the go) is the CSi kit. Test fitted the rear diffuser last night and that's going to be fine with a bit of sanding, etc. I've picked up a cheap genuine front spoiler which just needs some minor repairs and a repaint. Once painted and fitted the car should go from this:

15794816132_402fef8c4f_c.jpg

To this:

Alx_BMW_850CSi_20080709_7.jpg

The mirrors will be a bit harder work. I have a set of cheap E36 M3 mirrors and some of Thomas Engl's adapter plates. His plates are cast metal of the original E31 plate, so I'll need to hollow out the adapter so I can fit the plates (the bits with screws in them) from the E36 mirrors that hold that the actual mirror clips into. Haven't sussed out how I'll fix them yet... Could tap for screws but wonder whether some small bolts might work better.

Engl's ones are unfinished too so will need a fair bit of sanding... Will still work out way cheaper than a set of OE ones.

post-16586-0-07959500-1416352207_thumb.j

post-16586-0-47882300-1416352214_thumb.j

post-16586-0-46415400-1416352221_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thanks Tristan... Still a few major headaches but she's getting there and went well on the track last weekend. Despite brakes and suspension that need some work! Can't wait til she's handling properly once more.

• Like 2

Big thanks to James (Boowhup) who - in the spirit of the Bimmersport community - loaned me a set of BBS RCs despite never meeting me before. So my M pars have gone off for refurb and the car is going to sit on these for a few days:

15245089403_9cbb5e71d6_c.jpg

Also, been trying to get the rear diffuser sorted. Oddly the car has been pre-drilled for the M-tech diffuser but it seems that it is at the wrong height as the diffuser is angled slightly oddly. Will sort in the next week or two.

15864110012_50df6797df_c.jpg

Also discovered the spare wheel is from a totally different car (judging by the centre bore I'd guess an E39) and won't fit without a hubcentric ring, so will probably just look for a correct size spare. You can see the PO's paint job didn't get below the carpet line...

15245085973_7c211ef613_c.jpg

What bore do e31's use?

Same as most bimmers, except the E39, 72.6mm. Not sure why they decided to use a different centre bore on the E39.

Those BBS are definitely to my taste! (y)

I agree. I reckon they look awesome on the car :-)

Great wheels and I'm very grateful for the loan but I wouldn't pick them for the 8. 8er wheels look best with a decent wide lip IMO.

Edited by jeffbebe

That's herne bay...saved for astons.

• Like 2