Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Got the old compressor repaired and all good but a costly excercise. At least I'll get a refund on the new unit and half the shipping. Had a pretty sh*t day today with the car. Pulled the front spoiler off in the repco car park when the rubber splitter along the bottom caught on the bump stops they have on the parks. Would normally reverse into parks but haven't driven it much lately so wasn't thinking. Fortunately the spoiler was virtually undamaged and only took 5 mins to put back on. Though had to drive home with it sticking out the window.

Also found out the previous owner scrimped on the respray. My water blaster pulled a chunk of paint off the bonnet and the red paint underneath was barely sanded. No wonder it hadn't stuck to well. Guess I better start saving for the full repainted.

0ece3101ca5fdcdf303b18ef97b0df88.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Got the old compressor repaired and all good but a costly excercise. At least I'll get a refund on the new unit and half the shipping. Had a pretty sh*t day today with the car. Pulled the front spoiler off in the repco car park when the rubber splitter along the bottom caught on the bump stops they have on the parks. Would normally reverse into parks but haven't driven it much lately so wasn't thinking. Fortunately the spoiler was virtually undamaged and only took 5 mins to put back on. Though had to drive home with it sticking out the window.

Also found out the previous owner scrimped on the respray. My water blaster pulled a chunk of paint off the bonnet and the red paint underneath was barely sanded. No wonder it hadn't stuck to well. Guess I better start saving for the full repainted.0ece3101ca5fdcdf303b18ef97b0df88.jpg

Or a more powerful waterblaster.... ;)
  • Like 2

It is so unfortunately. Don't want to but really struggling to justify it at the moment. Just not enough space in my life/wallet/garage. Will be very sad to see her go.

This must be the thing I dislike most about this forum - seeing fantastic cars come up for sale when I'm in no position to take advantage...

• Like 4

Not as much as I dislike the amount of people who want to buy my car but don't have the money! ;)

I guess that is the trouble when it comes to trying to sell a classic poster car of the 90s

famous sayings , "if I had the money I would buy that" " if I win lotto I would buy that "

As an ex '8' series owner I would say "Don't do it!". Having read your posts I can totally relate to what you've been going through. An '8' is not for everyone as they are an older 'classic' that requires a lot of looking after, including deep pockets.

I also fell in love with thie 8er after seeing one in Shelley's Wellington in the 90's. I bought mine in 2011 as a keeper. But after 2 years of ownership and a significant amount spent on maintenance (not improvements as planned) I made the decision to part with it. This was 3 years ago and I have regretted ever since.

I was shown my old '8' a couple of weeks ago and although it is in the same condition (I know the owners plan for it) I got the same feeling of excitement all over again.

Since giving up my '8' I have had several beemers. including an E36 M3 saloon and currently an E60 M5. From my perspective these do not compare to the excitement of an '8'.

If there is any possibility (its tough rationalising head over heart) of keeping your 8 and looking at alternative options the I would advise 'keep it'. I know, just as I have. the moment you hand over the keys that you will regret it.

Cheers

• Like 2

It is so unfortunately. Don't want to but really struggling to justify it at the moment. Just not enough space in my life/wallet/garage. Will be very sad to see her go.

Perhaps putting the absolute 100% committment and attention to detail on this vehicle aside for a while, allows you to keep and enjoy it - and avoiding justification to sell it. When you have time or funds in future, you can get back to it.

Perhaps putting the absolute 100% committment and attention to detail on this vehicle aside for a while, allows you to keep and enjoy it - and avoiding justification to sell it.  When you have time or funds in future, you can get back to it.

Wish it was that simple!

Don't buy Meyle parts!

This after less than 4000 kms! Lucky everything else I replaced front and rear apart from the lower control arms was Lemfoerder! And, of course, it's one of the parts in the front suspension that a] is not shared with any other model and b] doesn't have a replaceable bushing.

Now trying to get a warranty replacement... From a company in Germany. 4-6 weeks minimum if they agree. 6 weeks for BMW NZ to get a Lemfoerder replacement (at massive cost). Ebay probably my best bet - quicker and cheaper.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Wow, hopeless!

This is why I tell people never to touch that crap Meyle stuff, Lemforder or nothing.

Meyle used to be great. Have read that they moved the manufacturing from Europe to China and the quality has dropped since then. I don't agree with sweeping statements that Chinese products are crap but I do believe that companies that focus on reducing production costs to maximise profits will face quality issues. Either way, a poked bushing after less than 4000kms is plain rubbish.

• Like 1

The guy that brought my E34 V12 had the same thing happen to him. very scary what what is a brand name product, you would expect that from a taiwan knockoff

Where these torqued to the running ride height though?

Quite easy to tear them, especially if they are lower quality to start with.

I've read on foreign forums that "Meyle HD" is up to the standard of the old "Meyle" and that the new "Meyle" is the lower quality and less expensive stuff. Not sure if this applies here?

Sucks either way. I've had shitty parts in the past also and often it's not worth a warranty claim.

I got a great deal on a suspension refurb pack from a German seller which was OE or equivalent. Everything else was Lemfoerder. Guess his profit margin was in the control arms. Haven't yet heard back from him after sending that vid. No surprises there.

All torqued properly under load. No other issues apart from steering idler arm. I just found one in my parts bin and I only bought one so I must have forgotten to fit it previously!! Will fit today and have sourced a local control arm. Phew!

• Like 1

End of the day can you just replace the bush in the arm ?