Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

A trans service kit - am still debating whether to do this. Have read that sometimes servicing these old 4hp24 gearboxes can do more harm than good... Advice appreciated.

I was told not to flush mine, just empty it out with the drain plug, then drop the pan, make sure you clean the magnet at the bottom that will probably have tiny metal filings on it, and change the filter. I also changed the pan gasket too, lucky i ordered it because it was another gasket that just crumbled away as i removed it.

Had 3 hard track days on it, thrashings over rimutakas fairly often, and has been known to do the occasional skid, and just seems to soak it up fine.

Cool. I've got the filter and gasket. I'll pick some fresh oil this weekend and drain, not flush! Read about the magnets... Good advice!

So my first part of the project hasn't gone according to plan. Took a set of RS4 mufflers to Pitstop in Grey Lynn. It was all looking good, everything lined up, etc but they just wouldn't quite fit, even with all the heat shielding removed they were still around 10-15mm too big. Such a shame they looked - and would have sounded - awesome.

As a last ditch measure - because I was determined to lose the ugly Camaro tail pipes - I ordered a couple of staggered dual tips from Chase. Unfortunately, when I came back later the numbskull at Chase had couriered the wrong ones... And they were already welded on. The guy at Chase didn't offer any compensation for his stuff up, other than selling me the right set "at a discount"... I told him where he could put that idea.

They look better than the square ones but stick out way too far as they're straight, not staggered and they're a bit narrow. At least they sound better than the square ones though but not ideal.

Look okay from directly behind:

post-16586-0-57820200-1403158277.jpg

But shite from anywhere else:

post-16586-0-99540300-1403158284.jpg

Back to the drawing board... Most expensive tip replacement in history. Not the project start I was hoping for.

• Like 1

Ah sh*t luck man. Consumers act that mofo and get them to redo! How does it sound?

Sounds way better. Those square tips really butchered the sound before. Will get some better tips in the meantime and save for some decent mufflers. Such a pity the RS4s don't fit. They'd have sounded great!!

Unfortunately, don't think the courts will see a/m exhaust tips being a goods normally acquired by a "consumer". Sale of Goods Act (s15) his ass :P

Unfortunately, don't think the courts will see a/m exhaust tips being a goods normally acquired by a "consumer". Sale of Goods Act (s15) his ass :P

Why not? He asked them to supply and fit a product. They did it wrong and refuse to offer a good solution. CGA should cover it?

CGA only applies to a 'consumer good' and is defined in the act. If the product bought isn't a 'consumer good' CGA doesn't apply.

CGA only applies to a 'consumer good' and is defined in the act. If the product bought isn't a 'consumer good' CGA doesn't apply.

^ think you need a lesson on the law.

HAHA yeah, what the crap? ANY item sold to a consumer is a covered. The type of goods makes no difference. They only exception is if you purchased it as a business, in which case the Fair Trading Act might come into it.

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/what-it-covers

Edited by KwS

Lol okay, no point in arguing whether the CGA prima facie applies or not.

I just hope Julian gets a remedy of some sort.

I actually dont mind the style of tips, but yes they do need to be recessed and staggered a bit better.

Although in saying that, i was a fan of the random 80s rectangle exhausts :D

• Like 2

Have had a good look at the car now - though not managed to scan it - and have a list of maintenance things to get done... Some more urgent than others:

• Power steering box appears to have a leak - will clean up and check... If it does it'll probably need doing before warrant time. Gasket set's about $65 online, not sure how hard it is to do yet.
  • Diff is leaking - looks a slow leak so might put this on hold until I can afford to fit LSD - gasket set's around $100.
  • Trans mounts have perished - $25 for some new ones... Already ordered, doesn't look to big a job to replace but a pain without a hoist.
  • Rear tyre has a crack in the sidewall - they're cheap and too small so going to replace anyway. Budget may mean I have to go midrange for now but will get the best I can afford (and the right size)
  • Car is running rich - will clean up the MAFs and do a smoke test (there's definitely a vac leak or two) and check the AFR at the next dyno day before worrying too much. It's not a daily so I won't lose any sleep burning a bit of fossil fuel. Did ask Gavin at Euro Italian about a couple of new MAFs.... $1450 each! Cripes - I can buy a lot of $45 knock offs for that!

Good news is suspension all seems good and compression tests were good on all 12 cylinders. I've picked up some ATF and fresh oil so will do some changes when the new oil and air filters turn up.

Also got an online valuation from Redbook.co.nz - pretty happy that on the present mileage in good condition the car's valued at $18.5K.... So it was a bit of a steal.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Sounds way better. Those square tips really butchered the sound before. Will get some better tips in the meantime and save for some decent mufflers. Such a pity the RS4s don't fit. They'd have sounded great!!

you need to reverse into your parking at home so you cant see the tips, they look sooo small

They are too small but not that bad. Unfortunately the mufflers that are on are too long to fit any better tips. Cut the ones I've got down so they're staggered and don't stick out too far. They'll do until I can find some decent single in dual out mufflers that fit.

post-16586-14033300478177.jpg

When do we get to hear this beasty? Also are you selling your Audi exhaust?

The RS4 mufflers don't belong to me. Contact Michael. although I think Martin (BreakMyWindow) has first dibs on them for his M5.

Doesnt an m5 sound good already??

Edit: is there any reason why youve left the rear plate frames?

Edited by QUBE

Its ponsonby who needs mufflers!, be proud its not a prius

• Like 2

Its ponsonby who needs mufflers!, be proud its not a prius

It's plenty loud enough as it is... No mufflers would probably crack the glass in our windows.

This bothers me...

post-16586-14034080285899.jpg

But not nearly as much as this...

post-16586-14034080569715.jpg

• Like 3