Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Had a crack at refreshing the worn interior trim with some ivory white 3M wrap. Discovered the concave centre console trim on the E31 is an absolute muthaf**ker to wrap (especially without primer). Got there in the end after 3-4 hours and several aborted attempts where the vinyl split, etc. Love the colour but the finish is not up to the standard I'm hoping for so may have to seek pro help if I fail again once I've got some primer. Will also be doing the cluster bezel and vent trim.

post-16586-0-80227400-1405032670.jpg

Arrggghhh!!

post-16586-0-59871500-1405032677.jpg

Arrghhhh x 2

post-16586-0-37270400-1405032683.jpg

In place but imperfect...

post-16586-0-32997600-1405032661.jpg

• Like 1

Good attempt however I almost feel like your painting approach as in the 540i would yield better results?

I've got 3 good reasons for wrapping:

1. If I can stop it lifting in the concave areas with primer and sort the edges where the MID and head unit fit it will be perfect. To get a matched finish with paint would require a proper spray gun and clear coat.

2. The trim has a rubberised coating so painting would require a lot of prep.

3. Long term is to retrim in Lotus White so I'll want to restore the black trim at that point.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Would you like white shoes with that?

• Like 1

Are you heating the vinyl?

Yep, of course. Don't think you could shape it round the complex curves of the E31 centre console with no heat!

hmmm... if your vinyl is good quality, ie. 3M or similar then it should have no problem. but seeing as its ripping, either vinyl is not very good or maybe too much heat? (not trying to critisize your efforts, just trying to find a way to make it work for ya!)

It's 3M. The problem is not the vinyl. Main issue is the shape of the E31 centre console piece, particularly the deep concave at the top.

post-16586-14050566458651.jpg

Just really hard to stretch the vinyl into those corners. I managed it on my last attempt with no ripping but without primer it keeps lifting.

Lol. Did u start from outside in or inside out? Id imagine it would b easier to apply inside then stretch out to the edges?? Hmmmm.....

I thought the same but virtually impossible inside to out because you have excess when you get to the edges. Much easier to stretch vinyl than shrink it!

I've got enough vinyl for a couple more attempts. If the next one fails I'll ask the guys at Car Folie for a quote!

HRE 505's. You'll find them on ebay. Had a 5X120 set on my watchlist 1400+ Euro..

Quite like the 5 bladed/pointed star shape on most of these older cars. Thought these BBS's are pretty tidy looking too. You would want 17's eh?

521266fb24532da8f404a97a562c62200.jpg

• Like 2

Did the cluster trim today. Looks good. Just need to redo the centre console. Spoke to Car Folie about it and they said they'd do it in two pieces but I don't want a join so I think I'll wait til I get some primer for the concave curves and do it myself.

post-16586-140533309347.jpg

HRE 505's. You'll find them on ebay. Had a 5X120 set on my watchlist 1400+ Euro..

Quite like the 5 bladed/pointed star shape on most of these older cars. Thought these BBS's are pretty tidy looking too. You would want 17's eh?

521266fb24532da8f404a97a562c62200.jpg

They have all the elements of wheels that will work for the e31 ... perfect

Console looks good, just not so sure about the white around the instrument cluster - hmmm

Hmmm, white pants and white shoes....

Dont get me wrong, I rocked a pair of shoes way back. But the pants too? I dunno...

White on Black looks good in an older car. Ive wrapped a few interiors before, so if you need a hand, I can send you some pointers. But yes, the inner corners are pretty hard, you have to stretch the vinyl and wok it mm at a time, then let it cool, heat it again to shrink it and repeat

If it's good enough for Ryan Gosling, Tony....

ryan-gosling-cannes-pyjamas.jpg

Florida, Bahamas, Cuba, all good.

Auckland in winter? I'm gonna need more convincing.