Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Spectacular!! Now just need $5k for wheels and tyres!

Spectacular!! Now just need $5k for wheels and tyres!

Start saving

Did a trans service over the weekend. Only around 5L of old fluid came out (capacity according to literature is 8.1L) and 6L went in. Too a drive to settle down but seems a bit smoother now. Hasn't solved any other issues of course.

Also found out that these engines don't much care for platinum plugs. Had bought some straight replacements for the NGKs that were on there but will have decided to return and get the OE Bosch F8LCR plugs instead to see if that helps with misfires.

Rain suspended play and I ain't got a garage, so didn't get to fit then new O2 sensors and fuel filters. Next weekend.

Hi Jules, good luck with your project man. Looking good.

What are your current wheels like in the flesh? As I have probably said before - I am a fan of the m parallels. They rock. They are the only wheels I would have if I didn't have my factory Style 5's. Are they genuine? If so, wouldn't it be better to just restore them to better than new condition?

Hey man, quick question. How are you finding the performance difference between your 8series your 5series?

Hi Jules, good luck with your project man. Looking good.

What are your current wheels like in the flesh? As I have probably said before - I am a fan of the m parallels. They rock. They are the only wheels I would have if I didn't have my factory Style 5's. Are they genuine? If so, wouldn't it be better to just restore them to better than new condition?

Actually my m pars are in pretty good nick with some typical kerbing. I like the wheels and was really only hypothesising about wheel options as there are many other things I would do (including refurbishing the m pars) before I'd buy new wheels... It would be cool having something a little bit different though!

Hey man, quick question. How are you finding the performance difference between your 8series your 5series?

At the moment, night and day. My 540i was tuned and running perfectly with a tuned 5 speed auto. The 850i is currently running rich on 8-10 cylinders with the wrong rear tyres and a 4 speed auto so it's hardly a fair comparison. Will get back to you when I've got the 850i running better but generally the 850i feels faster at 100kmh+ but the 540 was way quicker 0-100. It's a bit deceptive in the 8er though as it's so big and smooth... You don't notice the speed as much!

Yea will be good to see how you par them up once your 8er is running better. Reason I as, is that im almost finished with the fabrication on the ute tray, so will be looking at engine conversion next month. So at the moment, ill be looking at a 540 donor car, OR, a 750 as I have started liking the V12 set up allot after reading a few forums and test driving a few 7series. So you'd be the best person to speak to in regards to comparison for performance haha

Fair enough... I'd quite like to do a V8 conversion - perhaps we should discuss a swap! haha

BTW - have a look at this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=756734826

Andy's also got an E32 750i parts car... Not sure if he wants to sell the engine though!

EDIT: Twin turbo M70 or M73 would be an absolute monster.

Edited by jeffbebe

You know it's interesting when you look at comparisons. My old m635csi put out 286bhp. With the M88/3 the engine was lethargic until you hit 4500 rpm and then it went mental. My one was pretty quick and you'd feel the push into your seat. Upon driving a 540is the performance was so different - ample torque down low. When I got the e31 I believed that both the m6 and 540is were quicker. In reality, I have the opportunity to do some testing on rural Waikato roads and the 4.4 840ci 6 speed is marginally quicker than the 540 manual. This was backed up by a close friend.

A E34 M5 however, maybe a smidgen quicker than the E31 - but in reality not by much. Driving all of them-you find that they all perform fairly similarly when it comes to overall performance. The E31 is by many unfairly maligned as a lethargic boulevard cruiser. It is not a M3 but the performance is deceptively quick.

• Like 1

Replaced the fuel filters this arvo and the difference was night and day. Idle improved, fuel consumption improved and the smell of unburnt fuel seems to be less. Didn't get a chance to drive it for long but it definitely seemed significantly better.

• Like 1

jeez, what were the dates on the filters you removed?

would agree on the decpetively quick, heaps of tourque that gets you moving from very low down the rev range, compared to a M3 or a turbo car that has nothing down low and then all of a sudden comes on the power and back in the seat you go.

Comparing to my mates Lancer Evo, and another mates S15 Silvia, both of those cars are 2L DOHC Turbos at around 1200kg, my beast at just under 1900kg, and Im easily a few car lengths in front before they come on the power and then pass me doing about 100km/h or so. But they have no low down torque, but a lot more power. funny how it all works

• Like 1

jeez, what were the dates on the filters you removed?

Ha! Didn't check... One seemed to be pretty blocked.

would agree on the decpetively quick, heaps of tourque that gets you moving from very low down the rev range, compared to a M3 or a turbo car that has nothing down low and then all of a sudden comes on the power and back in the seat you go.

Comparing to my mates Lancer Evo, and another mates S15 Silvia, both of those cars are 2L DOHC Turbos at around 1200kg, my beast at just under 1900kg, and Im easily a few car lengths in front before they come on the power and then pass me doing about 100km/h or so. But they have no low down torque, but a lot more power. funny how it all works

Not really a fair comparison though is it?

My turbo has practically your peak torque at 1200rpm. Then again, maybe that's not fair either.

Had a spare 30 mins this afternoon so thought I'd replace the O2 sensors... Unfortunately didn't bank on a sensor that was just about welded in and I couldn't get it to budge with limited space under the car before I ran out of time. Interestingly, the performance again has taken a great leap with just one of the sensors replaced (admittedly on the side running super-rich - cylinders 7-12). Idling better and throttle response is greatly improved. Can't wait to see what happens when I can get the other sensor out.

So nice to feel the car improving incrementally but doing each bit of maintenance one at at time... It'll be fantastic when it's all done.

Edited by jeffbebe

Goal will always be to fit the S62 and manual but that could be some time away so I'd like the V12 running as it should in the meantime.

• Like 2

Put the fuel savings from it running correctly towards your conversion fund :P

Put the fuel savings from it running correctly towards your conversion fund :P

Good idea, I'll be able to afford the conversion by Xmas.

So I need to resync the dk motors (electronic throttle bodies). In order to do this the 850i repair manual says:

Step 1 - Run engine to operating temperature
Step 2 - In 1st gear run the engine up to 5000 rpm and then let it coast down (still in 1st) down to idle and let it idle for 10 seconds
Step 3 - Do Step 2 two more times for a total of three times
Step 4 - Place the car in neutral or park
Step 5 - Idle for at least 5 minutes
Step 6 - Shut the engine off for 10 seconds
Step 7 - Restart the engine
Result: Both DK motors should now be synchronized and the adaptive system engaged

Can anyone recommend a stretch of road long enough and quite enough to do this near Auckland? Or maybe they'll let me try it on the dyno on Sat morning?

Edited by jeffbebe