Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Jooles' E31 project log

Just jack the rear up and put it on axel stands?

Can anyone recommend a stretch of road long enough and quite enough to do this near Auckland? Or maybe they'll let me try it on the dyno on Sat morning?

Be a prick and do it on a road with heaps of speed bumps, midnight should be quiet enough traffic wise XD

Not a bad idea, should work shouldnt it?

Motions Rd behind the zoo. I'll do a trial run.

Sounds plausible. Might give it a whirl.

Motions Rd behind the zoo. I'll do a trial run.

Good thinking, Scott! Let me know how the trial goes... But bear in mind that 2 tonnes of E31 needs a lot room to 'coast to a halt'!

Swanson-kumeu backcountry roads have some nice long flat sections that wont throw up any surprises. A section between taupaki and riverhead springs to mind as a quiet convenient location to do that sort of thing.

The right turn at the roundabout just after the riverhead turnoff on SH16 produces flat quiet roads too.

Refurb'd DK motors have arrived so I'll try and fit this weekend. Further reading has indicated that the sync procedure may be for BMW workshops to 'hasten' the sync for customers and that the adaptions will actually sync over time even if you don't follow this procedure... Jury's still out though.

So after our session the other day you can discount the wiring between the diag plug and the DMEs.

Next on the list is rewiring pin 15 on the diag plug. If not we can look to low jack it straight to the DME pins 87.

Was that thread I emailed helpful?

Got a whole bunch of parts in the last couple of days including refurb'd DK motors, new MAF plugs (and MAFs are on their way), new exhaust tips (cans are on their way), rep mtech rear diffuser and some trim pieces.

Hopefully once the MAFs and DK motors are fitted and the throttles are sync'd the car will run perfectly. Idle is pretty smooth now I've replaced the oxy sensors (a tiny bit rough from a vac leak somewhere so will smoke test the b*tch once all the repairs are done).

From a few K north of Waimauku through to Helensville on SH16 has a few straights and can be reasonably quiet, though not on the week end.

Beware of vibs on axle stands. They can get quite bad if the car isn't loaded.

Feedback from the guy who refurbs the DK's is that the car needs to be loaded for it to work properly. The car will 'self-sync' but only after around 500 miles of (not very pleasant) driving.

Not sure about the e31, but with wide tyres on an e39 they will rub against the inner guards if in fool droop position. Possibly not a good idea also if there is a decent amount of angular force on the cv joints whilst spinning up on axle stands.

Swapped out the crappy and way too small 255/35s on the rear for Martin's old Dunlop 275/35s. Wheel aligmment on the driver's side was way out so got that sorted at the same time. Feels like a different car!! Haven't taken it on a decent drive yet but am expecting this will have sorted the 110kmh wobble. Should also improve fuel consumption some as well.

Love feeling the car getting steadily better and better.

Swapped out the crappy and way too small 255/35s on the rear for Martin's old Dunlop 275/35s. Wheel aligmment on the driver's side was way out so got that sorted at the same time. Feels like a different car!! Haven't taken it on a decent drive yet but am expecting this will have sorted the 110kmh wobble. Should also improve fuel consumption some as well.

Love feeling the car getting steadily better and better.

Is the front suspension setup the same as E32 and E34?

I got my wheel alignment done at andrew simms mitsubishi new market by peter alder. Difference in ride is night and day. Also had a buckled wheel so went to arrow wheels to get it strightened. Definitely recommend both places

Replaced trans mounts this morning. Simple job made simpler thanks to a mate's hoist. Has eliminated some of the shake under load. Considering the old mounts disintegrated in my hands, my guess is new engine mounts will probably eliminate the rest of the shake under heavy load.

Been thinking about a front spoiler for the E31. I was completely sold on the CSi kit but there are other (potentially cheaper) options and thought I'd float a couple on here (there are quite a few horrible ones that I've ignored)... This is a long term purchase, not something I'll do right away:

CSi spoiler (approx. $500 for FRP or $1500 for OE with all the mounting hardware)

850csi1.jpg

Wings West spoiler (US$350 + shipping ABS plastic w/ mounting hardware)

TerryYconcours_sm.jpg

Racing Dynamics lip (US$650+ shipping/tax ABS plastic w/ mounting hardware)

racd_121.12.31.011.jpg

Also quite like the one on the blue car in this pic which attaches below the standard bumper spoiler but no idea what it is:

imagejpg1_zpsd1192611.jpg

Either none or CSi IMO. To me, the others look more like "add-ons" than a part of the car.

• Like 1

I like none. If you had to have one, CSi is least offensive. Silver looks like it doesn't fit and the other two look like several people designed them.

None, Scott? I think the CSi one suits the car perfectly and also makes a little less Knight Riderish... especially on the black cars.

In red as it should be... This:

BMW_850i_E31_OZ_Futura_01.jpg

vs

this:

images_bmw_8-series_1993_1_b.jpg

Okay, so that's a bit unfair as the former also has great wheels and is a bit lower but you get the drift.

Perhaps I just bite the bullet and get this one? :wacko:

tn_IMG_0122_2.JPG

I'll grant you that side on, the CSi one is better than standard, in the first shot it looked too bulbous, like a mid 90s Ford Probe.

For pure originality though, that last one is gold. I'd recommend that as nobody else will have one.