Sign in to follow this  
Dom.

BMW noob from Auckland

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking on the forums for a little while, but I thought that I should probably introduce myself. I'm currently in the market for my first car (I'm 16 - hopefully getting my restricted next month) and we're looking at BMWs. More specifically at a 3 Series, most likely a 320/323/325 Motorsport (e90).

I'll be sure to post some pictures of my car once I get one, and I'm sure I'll be on here fairly often looking for advice since I don't really know that much about cars (yet). Anyway, I'm not really sure what else there is to add so I'll end it there.

Thanks for reading,

Dom

Edited by Dom.

welcome. what model 3 series are you looking at? E30, E36, e46, e90?

BMWs are a great first car. I would advise you take one of those driver training days where you learn to control a rwd car if you somehow lose the rear end ...

welcome. what model 3 series are you looking at? E30, E36, e46, e90?

BMWs are a great first car. I would advise you take one of those driver training days where you learn to control a rwd car if you somehow lose the rear end ...

Looking to get an e90 if it's for a decent price, and thanks for the advice :)

Not too sure what I want yet, just looking at this stage. Most of them seem to be ~20k

at 16 .. i would personally advise you to pick up a cheap e30 or e36. learn to drive and learn the mechanical aspects of it. then in a few years or something, spend the money you saved on something which is more exciting.

if i had to do it all again, i would do what i suggested above. of course when I was 16 i spent all my money trying to get the fastest best coolest car I could afford. only to find that it fell short always of the pinnacle of what I wanted. like i'd end up with a lancer GSR instead of an EVO, or I'd end up with a nonturbo s14 instead of a turbo s15.

and no matter what you do, you end up spending a tonne more trying to get there, but never quite.

Cheers for the advice :) I've been thinking about what I want a bit in the past couple of days and I'm starting to think that getting a cheaper one for now probably isn't a bad idea. On the other hand, if an e90 comes along for a good price in the meantime then it might be hard to say no to that :P

definitely if an e90 comes along at a decent price it will be tempting, but remember for that money you will be looking at an entry level e90. you may be happy for a while, but then you will be faced with trying to either modify the entry level or having to accept the depreciation and sell the e90 for something you would want.

pick up an e30 or 36, satisfy the modification process and learning, then know that when you are done with it all, that you will have enough funds in the bank to pick up maybe a 335 or even a e46 m3

Also keep in mind insurance costs. I have a 2004 318i station wagon that I bought 4 years ago when I was 18 which cost me around 16k and my insurance is through the roof, and only now am I downgrading to an e30..

How much insurance were u paying? Around 1k for full cover?

It always pays out to check different insurance companies as pricr varies quite a bit. When i was 18ish i couldnt insure with aa or state so i had to go for NAC in whangarei to insure my 1999 328ci e46. Think it was arohnd 1.4k for full cover.

Even now im 25 this year im still paying around 800 with aa after all the no claims bonus for my 2005 e350 mercedes but only around 400 for a 1996 subaru wagon. It depends on many factors: vehicle, age, driving record, modifications, whether its kept in a garage, has an alarm, what area you live in! (Its a good idea to install an alarm if it doesnt have one already, it should reduce your insurance premium by at least $50-100!

Cheers for the info guys, especially the thing about the alarm :)

I'm paying 700/year for my 97 M3. Sweet deal! must be a mistake but I'll take it. for a 16 year old and an e90, i think the insurance would be prohibitive. try ring around and pretend you are intending to purchase a certain car worth a certain amount of money and get some quotes. This may change your perception on what you intend on buying.

When I was 17 and bought a turbo mitsi, some companies quoted me over the price of the vehicle for insurance. (somethere in the region of 6500).

look into this first. good luck on an e90 at 16 yrs of age!!

nac insurance was quitr reasonable and were happy to insure restricted drivers with decent cars.