Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

Aftermarket / Performance M60B40 ECU chipping.

Anyone dropped one of these into their vehicle?

There's a few around but the 'general' consensus reading forum posts and topics I've researched is the EAT chip, the DUDMD chip, and the WOKKE chip giving significant gain or advantage at least over stock.

The Wokke chip suggests quite an increase in general power/torque, so much in fact it pretty much reads to good to be true, though everyone who's installed it practically worships it. However figures are presented in whatever various form, the claimed increase at peak HP is +40HP, and torque a staggering 80NM over stock.

Here's a link to an Ebay sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320635918206?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Are these engines detuned or factory retarded that much that those figures can be genuine? It seems unlikely but I don't know any better really. I've been aware of these chips for a long time but just getting serious on it. For the cost I don't imagine there would be a better dollar spent anywhere than that tiny little component. Even if the claimed figures were halved.

No idea about the legitimacy of this but if people claim good results from it i dont see $450 being better spent on anything else! I wonder if it improves fuel economy at all?

Mixed results there, some claim increased MPG and others less. I'll assume the decrease is likely mostly due to folk planting their foot taking advantage of the improvement in performance. I would!

It's marginal from what I've read anyway.

A member here did the DUDMD chip so maybe he might chime in, he thought it was pretty good in his E38 I think? I am going to go that route myself once I have done a few other things. I think he wanted $140.00usd from memory, and if it does half of what it does, its got to be worth a shot. I haven't seen real dyno figures with those kind of increases and it doesn't seem likely does it? Who buys a V8 for fuel economy anyway?

Very good. Same results ive read elsewhere regarding these bought tunes for standard m60.

Ill decide which one in a couple weeks. Theres a $200 difference between the dudmd and wokke product. Not entirely convinced theres $200 between the two but I dont know any better.

Wolf (the wokke guy) says min 10 percent increase atw. Seems more than reasonable.

Thanks.

If it's any interest my standard 1994 540i produced 154kw at the dyno day last year. Keen to see if these provide any real gains.

Hey Rod, keep us posted, I just got my M6040b running and that is my next mod for sure once I have it running at sweetly as possible. I am going to go with DUDMD, sometimes when its close you have to go with your gut (not that it makes it any easier sometimes)

I will. The DUDMD chip is US$250 and the Wokke chip US$399. So $150 difference.

The pricing diff seems odd and I'd like to believe there's very little difference between both products - I'll naturally assume there's only so far you can go altering factory settings with a stock motor to squeeze more power out of it that you'll end up going around in circles until you decide on the cut-off having exhausted your options and limitations.

Like anything else though I'll also assume some folk persevere more to achieve more, or stumble upon tricks and technique through experience and the result is better because of it? My car, or my engine at least feels pretty healthy so I'll see what this Wokke chip does. I could just be being played for an additional $150, we'll see.

At the end of the day I'm confident 12-13-14HP and a change up to the 3.25 ratio LSD diff I have laying around will see some drastic change over what is already a comfortable and capable vehicle.

Then I'll stop spending money and save for the 6-speed manual. I already lost my way the other day and threw $1000 at some staggered type 3 racing Schnitzers. :-/

Been reading DUDMD's threads, and he seems pretty on to it.

It will be interesting to see your results.

Hey,

I thought I would mention as I just checked my bimmerforums messages. DUDMD was going (and I hope eventually soon) going to do me a chip for $140.00usd. For me at least that's a $259.00usd difference...

I have also trolled DUDMD's posts, and I am more than convinced personally.

I told him of my particular set-up and he said no problem.

For $150 you can't go wrong really can you. There's a lot of other things you could throw $150 at that won't go anywhere near as far.

• Like 1

wouldnt you be better off getting your current DME remapped to your exact car, diff setup, trans set up etc rather than using a jack-of-all-trades chip?

Put it this way, personally i would be much more comfortable spending $1k and KNOWING i have the best tune possible for my car, than buying an unknown chip for half that and crossing my fingers there is a gain.

Maybe. I thought about it and figured its a tune for a standard configuration. How much different is my stock standard auto e34 540i to one thats been tuned elsewhere? How much can really change from one

You're right. $1000 is $1000 though, maybe if I had manual trans and other bits to see 1k in benefit. Ive a standard auto m60b40 though..

The internet is littered with positive response to these affordable chips. Seems an easy choice. Of course if I had 1k to throw at that I might, I cant justify that expense when theres a diff sitting here that needs rebuilding, tyres needed. Yada yada.

For $150 you can't go wrong really can you. There's a lot of other things you could throw $150 at that won't go anywhere near as far.

Did you end up ordering one in the end?

How long till its in your hot little hands?

Im a couple weeks away. Ive a couple other necessities and things im in the middle of to take care of first.

The sensible thing to do would be dyno before and after to have a real measure. Thats additional cost as well though, unless I got it and sent it onto roo who does have a before measure.

I doubt theres much difference between e34 m60's from one to another and in healthy condition.

The appeal for me is cost and ease of application. A screwdriver, a steady hand, and the ability to follow simple instructions has seen folk sat "wow night/day difference".

Nope. Life, phone and power bills take priority now unfortunately. I bought a few other things I don't need either recently. Works slowed up a little too so less disposable income.

Ill revisit it at the end of august.

No problem, I can fully understand. Keep us in the loop though please :)

Hey there.

I have the DUDMD tune in my car and luv it.

He wont just sent you a chip. He'll send you the DME so you just pull your old one, plug in the new one, start her up and drive away. Took me all of 5 minutes to install in my E38 and I noticed the difference immediately. It pulled a lot harder from a standing start and way more tourqe right through the rev's.

As to the savings in fuel. My km's per liter dropped at first but that was more from me constantly enjoying the extra performance..lol

Before the tune I had an average of 6.7km per litre. Now I'm averaging 7.4.

There aren't that many perfomance options out there for our cars. Unless you want to spend 7 grand and go for the supercharger so for $250 I think this is a lot of bang for the bucks.

Looking forward to an update and seeing what you think.

I have just re-contacted DUDMD again, and hopefully he will get back to me.

My car is ready to go, well only just got the b'stard running well, so the chip, or entire dme is ready to get unceremoniously yanked from the car and something else put in there. I will let everyone know how I get on. Time flies...

OK, I don't know if anyone is actually following this thread but what the hell, it may help someone else so here it goes.

I got a hold of DUDMD on facebook, he's not that flash on bimmerforums in terms of getting back to you, like any other busy fullah I guess, and like most busy fullas, they are always pretty good on facebook however? mmm.

So he asks for $140.00USD which is currently about $186.00NZD or thereabouts. I yanked the DME just to make sure I have the "404" which I do. So paypal just got hammered to the aforementioned amount and it should get here by next weekend I guess, its only a small thing? HIs FB reply was about 2 mins...much better. HE said he will post it tomorrow or Tueday (they are nearly a day behind you see as well).

Will keep everyone updated. Oh, I wont be doing any dyno this that and the other, or any other stopwatch before and after, because...well I cant be stuffed really, if I cant feel or see the difference, it is money ill spent anyway. No-one said faffin with these things made economic sense, so yeah. I am all good with that.

I've been following the thread, and I'm sure others are.

Keen to see how you get on.

• Like 1

Id managed to survive through winter on around 16-18 hours a week of work :-/ so rightly my priorities were on existence and survival...

Looking good now though, plenty on so tossing up the dudmd / wokke options. Im also tentatively looking at late 90's kawasaki zx7r's.. lol!

• Like 1

post-3677-0-19873400-1415767870.jpg

Chip has arrived, one week to the day.

Guess what I will be doing this weekend...

• Like 1