Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

Aftermarket / Performance M60B40 ECU chipping.

Be keen to hear your impressions, fingers crossed...

• Like 1

I felt the difference immediately in my big ole e38 so I think you'll be plesantly supprised in your's.

Sounds interesting...

Please let us know how you get on. If I look at doing this, I will do a before/after dyno.

I put the chip in after a lot of mucking around. I will put some pics on later, but to cut a long story short.

It wont f'n start. Turns over...and over, flat battery now.

I will charge it overnight and see what happens. If new charge don't get it, in goes back the old chip, till I sort it. Could be the chip, could be me, dunno.

Updates to follow!!!! ffaaaaarrrrrrrrrrkkkkkk.

Bugger.

Pull it out, put it back and make sure it's seated properly.

If it still wont start get in touch with DUDMD. I'm sure he'll be happy to help.

I was looking forward to hearing how much you were enjoying it..

Well I let it charge overnight, had another go..crap it aint going. The DME unit was hot as, for under 30 secs of non starting it was pretty hot, I thought farrrkkkk, that f'ker is fried. Its like its got no fuel, so could be relays and sh*t, but the car was fine so doubtful. I took the DUDMD chip out replaced it with surprise the original chip is a superchips 530i chip. It fired up after a couple of cranks so I am guessing its the chip. Thank god I didn't fry the DME or something.

I have FB'ed DUDMD see if he has any hints. He may have to send out another me think, will see what he comes back with, thankfully its not too much of a mission pulling them in and out.

He recommended I put it in upside down. Which I did. Same result unfortunately. He does get back to me quick mind.

He is sending another chip.

Fingers crossed, I really don't want to keep prying this DME all the time, it's a powder keg, especially as the top board requires some serious wrangling with every bloody time.

So I guess I will wait...

Any updates?

Still looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this..

He is sending out a new chip tomorrow or Tuesday. he ran out of blank chips.

I am working on another aspect of my car whilst I await the chip, so whilst I am a bit miffed, it didn't work, I got other things to play around with. It's not like every other thing on this car didn't drive me a bit insane.

Don't worry I will let you all know when I power it up

Be careful with it. While the DME is fairly robust in its electrical redundancy screwing up the pins (putting it in upside down) is a fast way to causing permanent damage.

The ROM has various parallel address lines and several voltage supply and ground pins. Getting it wrong can short or supply voltage down the wrong lines just not designed for it.

Sorry to sound like a negative nancy, but a warning to all. This sh*t isn't childs play.

• Like 1

I hear ya Josh. I am pretty miffed that I have had to open and close it a few times, and that's mindful that it has already been opened. I guess I will know in a week or so, which is a guess on how long it took for the original one to turn up.

But...plenty to do in the meantime. A secondhand DME is not too hard to find, or costly, but sure, I will be pretty frustrated if I have sunk this one.

• Like 1

Have you got around to it yet?

I've got a roundtuit if ya wanna borrow one. ha ha

Seriously though. Waiting for your thoughts on the Tune.

So after a time, DUDMD sent another chip, it took another 2 weeks. It didn't work, I even took the 'middle' base off where the original chip goes, and then back to front and it just didn't want to turn over. Iput the original in and it started as per usual. So its xmas. I will get someone a bit more betterer than me to have a look at it. It's just a chip, but I cant get the ruddy thing to go, so let's wait after the xmas period.

Who wants to help me? The chances they are both duds are slight so I could be doing something wrong.

Auckland.

Awwww man, that sucks.

I'm disapointed so I can only imagine how you must feel.

Just out of curiosity, which DME are you putting the new chip in? Your original or the one DUDME sent the first time?

Edited by kulgan

I am using the original DME a 404 jobbie, I think that's what you are referring to?

DUDME sent me just a little chip...then another little chip. I need to get a hold of him actually. I have 2 either brilliant chips that I cannot get going, or 2 dud's that should be refunded.

As the car goes well (I have no other reference) I might just call it a day on this one, I will wait to see what he says.

So this is the reply via Facebook, ok just the best solution not all the other crap.

"1. If you can find someone local to you to read your original chip and email me the file, I can build you a new chip that is matching your exact software version to work with your DME. This is the best method. "

Someone help me, because this looks like Japanese to me mate.

What's the chip type? Read the numbers off the top of the chip

He wants you to plug a PC into your car to read the file on your 404 DME and email it to him.

Maybe a dealership could do this or perhaps a "Help me" post in the general section might turn up someone with the software/programme to help.

I'd be inclined to go to a wrecker and get a DME that you know works in your car then post it(and the 2 chips) to him. Then he could tune that and send it back to you. Given all the hassle I'd think he would do it for free.

Guess I was lucky. I got my DME from him and plugged it in and it worked. And it made a noticeable difference to the performance.

Edited by kulgan

That was his second option.

"2. I can supply you a 404 DME from the US, that is very common and works with my current chips."

I think I will go this way. I have emailed him, I am going to send his chips back and its either chip inside a suitable DME OR a full refund.

F'n around with cars is supposed to be fun right?

Just wondering - are you using the M60B30 DME or a B40 one? Reading through your build thread a while back I seem to recall you used the B30 DME?

What are the chances that the 4l chip isn't compatible with the 3l ecu? Am scratching my head as to why two chips didn't work

DUDMD said he has had the odd 404 DME not work. He is going to send one over with the chip installed. Then plug that sucker in and it better work!!! Its good weather now and we need to drive our beastie cars.

It does mean of course that I have 2 spare DUDMD chips that should work by right in any other 404 DME. But lets see how this new thing goes first, before we get carried away.

• Like 1

It does mean of course that I have 2 spare DUDMD chips that should work by right in any other 404 DME. But lets see how this new thing goes first, before we get carried away.

Nice work on becoming NZ DUDMD chip distributor.. lol!

Nice work on becoming NZ DUDMD chip distributor.. lol!

MMMmmm yeah well it wasn't really what I had hoped for. I will update this when I have...updates. :ph34r:

O.K.

So the package arrived today. Full DME with the chip in it ready to go.

So 4 big philips screws undone, and I am a pro at this now, cover off, remove spring loaded clips, remove DME, unplug, plug in the new one reverse the process and kick it in the guts.

It turns over straight away, the exhaust seems slightly louder, maybe smoother? But its only idling, so I let idle for 5 mins before I take it for a fang.

Yes, it feels different, it's not that it was ever slow, but now the exhaust is definately louder, it bellows more, more of a cyclic exhaust note, not just louder. Then it actually crackles when you take your foot off the gas, I thought you needed carbs for that, it actually sounds very very meaty.

Keep in mind I have removed the rear box on mine, thats the only change exhaust wise,

Worth the wait, dunno, I hardly use the brute, but it is seriously too fast to drive in anger on the road, as soon as you give it the berries, you run out of road.

I love it. Worth it.

I will FB DUDMD and tell him it was a raging success. In future...not that I am intending to do this again, I would ay extra just to have the whole shebang couried over for ease of use, literally plug and play.

Thank you for following.

Another happy customer!!!

Take a photo of the label on top the ecu and post. Couple of people in this thread who are more than capable with dealing with this.