Sign in to follow this  
aw-krazy

Headliner project

Rightio so as all you e36 owners might know already, the headliners love to sag! and the grey is pretty dull so i have decided to replace the fabric on the headliner + pillars so it matches up nicely.

As of today i took down the headliner + Pillars which took me 45 mins in total to remove (note: taking the headliner is a bit of a B**** easiest way taking it out of the car is though the rear door)

I then peeled the headliner fabric off & scrubbed off all the sticky foam stuff that was holding the old fabric on

post-17083-0-97204200-1404618543_thumb.j

post-17083-0-87500100-1404620104_thumb.j

Then stripped down the pillar fabric which was real easy

post-17083-0-13409700-1404618681_thumb.j

post-17083-0-62734700-1404618696_thumb.j

I ended up getting some amber lights which i ordered a long time ago and put them where the sun visors sit as being a pre facelift model my e36 didn't come with sun visor lights.

post-17083-0-35915600-1404618812_thumb.j

Called it a day and deciding on fabric now... Thinking of doing something different and going with a synthetic black leather.. Open to suggestions though :)

Will update this post as i do things

Edited by aw-krazy
  • Like 1

Nice work, I'll be watching as I've decided some cheesy plaid look will be the way to go for me. I haven't got my head around ensuring a permanent bond of fabric to existing panel without discolouring the fabric yet.. :-/

Good on you for tackling such a pain in the butt job. Just bear in mind that using a black fabric will make the cabin a very dark place to be- looks sweet during the day, but everything will look super dark at night and you'll find it pretty hard to see around the cabin with the factory lighting- I used black suede and found this. The grey was ugly but boy was it good at bouncing the light around :)

Yeah i just thought about the black and it making everything super dark, am thinking of using a charcoal grey finish now as it won't be too dark at night but not as ugly in daytime :P whats your thoughts on charcoal?

Hands down Black. Switched mine over to black and looks awesome. Love it!

Its already dark and night, never notice it :P

i used 3M glue to put the one in one of my E34 tourings back up.

supposed to be the best glue you can get for the job

still came back down after a couple weeks, and yes i left it to dry for a day as told.

be interested to know what glue you end up using

I used ADOS spray can type. Used two and was enough for the whole job and worked perfect. Bunnings or mitre 10 had it

Wurth "High Strength" spray adhesive works well, I used ADOS the first time, is a suzuki van, has to redo it with the Wurth stuff, after the first headliner fell off the first day in the sun.

Some cans say not suitable for headlinings... best not to use them!

Okay so i ended up sending my headliner and pillars down to the auto upholstery shop.... Sorry guys. Will try make the next project a proper one, can send you guys pics of it when i get it back though ;)

I was previously quoted 400+gst for my e36 coupe which is why i decided to DIY. If someone is willing id say 100-150 for material and about same for labour? $2-300?

I got my e36 coupe done;

- sunroof panel

-control panel bit

-roof

-pillars

-door card inserts

$700 and done in a day

quoted $250 will give you the guys number after i get the finished product :D

Okay so i ended up sending my headliner and pillars down to the auto upholstery shop.... Sorry guys. Will try make the next project a proper one, can send you guys pics of it when i get it back though ;)

best decision you have taken, just not worth the hassle of doing it yourself, the 3M stuff is good but chances of coming off is there as well, and its a messy job without the tools, for most newbies like you and me.

BE CAREFUL about the rear C pillars, they are a Bi*ch to get back on, and chances of never looking the same, ask me how :( they break so easily, the tabs as crap and the mounting system on the whole e36 sucks donkey balls. so be very careful with c pillars. cost is around $200 - 300 depending on who does it, but make sure its good foam backed fabric. :)

I got my e36 coupe done;

- sunroof panel

-control panel bit

-roof

-pillars

-door card inserts

$700 and done in a day

where was this please?

Did my headliner and sunroof on my previous 318ti. I went through an online upholstery vendor and it came out to about $100 for the material and 3M adhesive spray. The sunroof mechanism was a bit tricky and took me more time than anticipated but it worked out okay. Nothing wrong with getting it done by a professional.

Sorry about the no post guys but i got my headliner done and this is the final outcome which i am pretty pleased with!

The guy must have used some foam backing as the material feels nice and spongy

The colour i went for in the end was a light charcoal grey which looks far less outdated than they original grey (pics below)

post-17083-0-27334700-1406618581_thumb.jpost-17083-0-86029600-1406618582_thumb.jpost-17083-0-30347600-1406618584_thumb.jpost-17083-0-80874800-1406618603_thumb.j

Also went down the road and got me some BMW leather cleaner while i was at it :D

post-17083-0-67672600-1406618618_thumb.j

Sunroof plastic trim forgot to get done so will upload pics tonight with it installed as well

Looks sharp and clean.

Off the scale wank-factor with the genuine OG BMW leather cleaner - Is there enough in that little bottle to do all your leather? lol!

I was at McMillans months ago and they had all that on special. Priced a lot less than some bottle I bought to do my couch, I felt so burned..

The leather cleaner actually lasts quite a while and bottle is the size of a shampoo bottle nearly main reason i got it was because it does give the car that bmw smell :P

Here is the Sunroof panel also done as of today post-17083-0-12728500-1406716925_thumb.jpost-17083-0-34170500-1406716936_thumb.j

So what was the final cost after having been quoted $250?

You ripped all the panels out and reinstalled yourself eh? So your upholstery dude just had to do his magic without any of the fiddly nonsense?

Yup it was 1 hour or so work taking it all out + stripping material out, so yeah i sent it all down stripped but i think thats a pretty good price :D