Sign in to follow this  
smudger

E36 Check Brake light circuit msg Moved to Maintenance where i should

I've just started getting this error message and it appears none of the brake lights are working. I've checked the fuse and that seems fine. Anyone have any ideas and/or do i need to find someone near Blenheim ( maybe Nelson) who can plugin and check the error message and clear it ?

Reposted in the right forum sorry all !

Edited by smudger

If the message is "Brake Light Circuit" it will need a new brake light switch............ "Brake light" is a brake light bulb

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Its Brake rather than rake - how do i work out which bulb - i havent tried to get at them yet assuming they arent sealed units of some sort. Or is that question really as dumb as it sounds now that i reread it !?

Edited by smudger

unlikely that all three bulbs have died at the same time

as already advised, check/test the brake light switch at the top of the brake pedal

90% certainty it will be the brake switch on the pedal bracket. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Brake_Switch/E36-Brake_Switch.htm

REAL common, gives that exact error on the OBC and all the brake lights will be out. Had it on my old E36. Buy a genuine switch, not worth risking it with a dodgy aftermarket one like i did (switch was built so badly the housing would flex and cause the lights to turn off when braking. ended up having to buy a genuine one anyway).

If you do change the switch, make sure you take note of the last part of the DIY guide in the article, it is the correct way to remove the switch without damaging the bracket.

Edited by KwS

So it sounds like i need the switch which is part number 61318360417 - are there any NZ suppliers for that or do i need to get it in from offshore (US$30 plus shipping from Bimmerzone ) ?

Thats exactly where i got my cheap dodgy switch from. not worth the savings over a genuine one from the dealer IMO. Its a pretty crucial little device.

Milland was good about sorting me with a refund and everything and its likely it was a bad batch, but i still wouldnt trust it. Most dealers should carry the switch in stock.

Ordered a new switch from JeffGray, a bit more than twice the price from MillAnd (above) but will be cautious this time. Hopefully that will sort it.

Switch replaced and all fixed. Ended up taking it to the local auto electrician ( who was very familiar with the problem ) after spending to much time upside down in the footwell trying to sort it myself.....too tall and a bit to inflexible.