Sign in to follow this  
qwertyk1d

E30 6x9 Rear Installation

Can you fit 6x9s in the rear of an E30 without damaging or modifying the rear tray? I've heard you can use universal spacers and fit them that way. Anyone done it?

You can, but don't do it.

They sound terrible.. my last E30 had them installed with spacers.

Looks pretty ugly with those huge spacers I must say! But do-able.

Go for Mdf rings to space out 6x9 . You might need a couple of sets to get the basket clearance. Bolt these to the deck to help avoid rattles.

6x9s can sound good depending on quality .

I've got 4 way Pioneers. They're currently in boxes but I don't want to use boxes. Reckon 6 1/2s on spacers over 6x9s?

what is the aim here? Front sound stage is usually the easiest setup - decent components in your kick panels backed up by a sub in the boot. I found rear speakers in the parcel tray unnecessary in my e30 and faded them out.

Reckon so? Ideally I don't want to cut any holes for component tweeters.. Maybe just really decent 2-3 way speakers up front and fade out the rear? I just want better quality sound overall.

You can get, but hard to find, original tweeter pods\quarter panels - not sure what they're called but the plastic triangle on the inside of the mirrors. Or you can just glue them there. Or something custom?

I did the quality coax fronts, Infinity Kappa, with sub in the boot. I liked it but if I was going to do it again I'd use components with the tweeters up high to lift the stage.

• Like 1

I'm a full time audio installer at hyper drive in penrose and I drive a 4 dr e30 as my daily. Don't do 6x9s in an e30 they dont fit very well at all.

I've got Rockford punch 5.25" coax in the tray of mine and they go so well you would not believe they are only 5.25" they go seriously hard and no spacers in sight.

just my two cents

if you want bass get a sub not 6x9s

Edited by btccm3