Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

For All The Aspiring Racing Drivers Out There....

E30 Series Scholarship Car.

To attract and develop new talent into NZ motorsport the Castrol BMW Race Driver Series are offering one lucky winner a scholarship drive, for more details see here...

http://www.bmwraceseries.co.nz/?page_id=1582

Or checkout the Facebook page, and the car and entry forms will be on the stand at the CRC Speedshow coming up next weekend.

Anyone that has ever thought about getting into racing, you won't get a better chance than this.

• Like 1

I couldn't commit to it. No. 5 kills it for me - I doubt I could find $20k if it became necessary.

• Like 1

wouldnt you just be better off buying your own car?

Imagine if someone got this, could afford to run with some serious budgeting, then gets taken out first lap of the season. Yeaaaah nah. Id be a nervous wreck the entire time with that 20k weighing over my head.

Pretty much impossible to make a "total loss" of a race car especially an E30 on the track, and believe me I have tried.

The condition is in there so that the car is treated with respect, as if it was your own, not used recklessly without so much as a "oh, sorry about that... here's your keys" afterwards.

• Like 1

I love the idea, and I certainly wouldn't treat the car with anything other than the greatest of respect.

But it really is a worry that someone else would do something that would cause significant problems. If that happened to my car, the financial consequences would doubtless be the same. The difference here is that there is a defined timeframe to refund the money... My car, crashed, could sit for 12 months while I bitch and moan about it, but finding $15-20k in the space of a few days or weeks... I couldn't do it.

I really do love the idea of racing. I know it costs at least twice what I imagine it might! And the best bet for me would be to have my own car, however uncompetitive it might be.

Coincidentally, I've been looking at buying a motorbike. I was talking with some friends at HD about this a few weeks ago and they were asking what I'd spend. At the time I'd thought $3-4k (that's changed, downwards, since) but their suggestion was to buy a shitter Hyosung GT250R and go racing in the Cup. $4k might not pay for an entire years' racing, but it wouldn't be far off. (Assuming I didn't bin it at the first corner, in which case we're back to 12 month's bitchin' and moanin'... ;) )

You could go bucket racing for under $1000 and have twice the fun. I kinda miss it myself but have nowhere to stash everything.

Coincidentally, I've been looking at buying a motorbike. I was talking with some friends at HD about this a few weeks ago and they were asking what I'd spend. At the time I'd thought $3-4k (that's changed, downwards, since) but their suggestion was to buy a shitter Hyosung GT250R and go racing in the Cup. $4k might not pay for an entire years' racing, but it wouldn't be far off. (Assuming I didn't bin it at the first corner, in which case we're back to 12 month's bitchin' and moanin'... ;) )

• Like 1

Its a good setup. Only thing i would want clarification is what does refurbished include? Full repaint and new bushes or just touchups and an oil change

Then this isnt probably for you if you have to query a race season costs.. This is however the cheapest single make series in the country. Its a good oppertunity for someone wanting to step it up to a real race program without the initial outlay for the car. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

Totally agree. I was more implying thats the one part of the contract that isnt detailed.

Hopefully see some good drivers out having a go with murph etc

E30 Series Scholarship Car.

Well done that man. What an excellent thing to be doing. Good luck to all contestants and may the best man or lady win..

Please note, the full replacement price has been dropped to $12,000, not $20,000 now, was an error.

Good luck to all entrants, a great chance to go racing.

Well done that man. What an excellent thing to be doing. Good luck to all contestants and may the best man or lady win..

I can't take the credit for the idea, it's something the Committee has had in the ideas bank for a while, and now the Recruitment Sub-Committee have got the sponsors on-board and made it happen.

Thought I would throw it up on here as well so the Bimmersporters were aware.

• Like 2

The car will be on display along with other series cars next weekend at the Speedshow at Ellerslie showgrounds.

Howsit guys i need some help im busy wit e30 m52 swap but im having some issues wit the brake booster and i need to no which engine arms i need to use?i got the engine from a e39 528i could that be a problem?

^how the hell do thread digs even happen?

Maybe if we knew what "engine arms" are?