Sign in to follow this  
Filth

E39 530i Motorsport | Resale Value

Hi Guys,

The time tell sell my beloved is nearing closer and I'm wondering what I would be looking at in terms of selling her.

She's got 147k on the clock, 2002, large display, all the motorsport trimmings, sunroof - all the bits you'd want.

Along with the motorsport body kit and window tints however, the front of the car is sporting a couple of love bites on each site. Both passenger and driver front fenders would need to be either replaced or panel beated and the front bumper may need replacing.

With this in mind how much would I be looking at resale? Is it one of things I just put a $1 reserve on and watch it go?

What I'm also tossing up is, do I spend the extra cash to fix up the damage on it "in hope" of a higher resale value or sell as is? I've found a E39 wrecking that has all the body parts I need in good condition.

The car is mechanically sound, just had new radiator put in, new battery, tyres are good and no errors messages.

Sold mine mid last year. 01, Msport, ex-Japan, 96K, $10K.

Thanks for this.

Thoughts with damage?

If you can get the side fenders for cheap then its worth doing. make sure its the right colour. lots of diff silver options.

how bad is the damage? is it something that can be looked over or it definitely needs fixing cuz its an eye sore?

i would say about $8-9k easily but 10 or even more if potential buyers are in the market.

i personally would avoid $1. also is it nz new or jap import? service history receipts?

If you can get the side fenders for cheap then its worth doing. make sure its the right colour. lots of diff silver options.

how bad is the damage? is it something that can be looked over or it definitely needs fixing cuz its an eye sore?

i would say about $8-9k easily but 10 or even more if potential buyers are in the market.

i personally would avoid $1. also is it nz new or jap import? service history receipts?

Re the damage it bothers me when I walk past the front of the car so it's definitely something to fix myself or the next owner to do.

Jap import, Servicing is done by Team McMillan BMW however - I don't have receipts because they do a cashy for me... Flatmate works for them which is handy.

That's good to know resale value! Holding it's value some what.

Bought an 01 non M 530i wagon with 144ks for a hair over 8k. Kinda feel the sedans (unless low km minters) are a bit overpriced given they're starting to get a bit older.

Then again I am a cheap bastard.

Advertise it at 10k, chances are the market will meet you at a fair point inbetween :)

GLWS!

Bought an 01 non M 530i wagon with 144ks for a hair over 8k. Kinda feel the sedans (unless low km minters) are a bit overpriced given they're starting to get a bit older.

Then again I am a cheap bastard.

Advertise it at 10k, chances are the market will meet you at a fair point inbetween :)

GLWS!

Thanks for this!

What are your thoughts on selling it damaged? Should I get it fixed?

I'd get it fixed. Market was pretty quiet when I was selling, perhaps it's picked up though.

10k for urs was a good price then and i doubt you will get it now considering 540s are advertised for 10-12k and 528s are so damn cheap.

Repair first unless it costs like 1k. Then mention it and drop the price so new owner can decide whether to fix or save 1k.

Thanks for this!

What are your thoughts on selling it damaged? Should I get it fixed?

As qube says, unless the fix cost is uneconomic get it repaired.

My personal opinion is max 8k, assuming preventative maintenance has been done. If it's in rough condition cosmetically I'd not go any higher than 6.5k for an I6, 7k for a V8

My basis is the cars and engines are getting older, if the head gasket for example were to fail, cracking the head the rebuild cost would be almost the cars value. Again, I am cheap, so others opinions will differ.

All depends what you get offered for it vs. what you believe its worth

• Like 1

Sold my 530i 01 Msport wagon earlier this year. Just under 150k Kms. I got $11k so pretty happy. It was mechanically mint. Some minor cosmetic bits.

And that wagon is a great looking car, but generally when one goes to `The Market`, then it can be a nasty surprise. That`s just the way it is unfortunately. My e39` s well looked after, but for now I would rather not know what it`s worth. It`s a keeper.