Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Track day harness

Hi guys,

Does anyone have experience with the Schroth Quick Fit Pro harness system?

http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/quick-fit-pro/qfp-bmw

I know it's only a 4-point harness, but their anti-sub system gets good reviews. Seems like a 5th point can be added, but I'm not sure how that would work with standard seats.

Overall, it seems to me to be a good value ($300) upgrade that enables the use of a HANS device.

Anyone used one... or better yet... have one to sell?

James

Thats a pretty good idea, even to just stop you flopping around in the OEM belt at a track day

I found the 4 point to be fine .. The only thing is that if you don't tighten the lap belts enough then the two shoulder belts pull up the buckle. The 5th point is good for stopping that and keeping the laps at your hips

Have used one very similar and crashed in it. Was comfortable and easy to use. As said can ride up abit.

Biggest diwnside is they often use 2 inch belts instead of three inch. Can make a difference when spreading load.

I hit a wall at taupo track at 60kph head on. No major bruising etc around belts which i have had on a factory three point previously.

Bigget plus to the five point is it keeps the belt on your hip bone rather than higher where it can damage bladder spleen etc in an impact

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

Glad to hear a first hand account too... although jeez Jason, glad you're alright! A 60kph head-on is pretty serious!

The 2 inch belt thing is interesting. Schroth say it fits better with our anatomy (clavicle width or something) but I guess with a reduced surface area it could result in more soft tissue damage.

My main concern is that my shoulders sit about 5cm higher than my seat back. I know this is a risk in a conventional harness due to downward compression of the spine, but the Schroth ASM harnesses seem to do several things differently so I've emailed them directly to ask if that's okay.

Will let you know what they say.

Yea car didnt survive that one. Ive heard of people breaking a.collar bone if the belt pulls down to much. But i think its best to do what you can on the budget you have as anything is usually better than factory.

These style belts are legal in europe but frowned apon. Its amazing how restricted you are with non retractable belts. Cant get to the stereo etc. So people often loosen them off while on the open road. This can lead to pretty bad whiplash if your belts dont grab immediatly.

Will be interested to hear what they reccomend for you

You should look into getting an aftermarket seat as their seat backs go higher.

What entry angle are you running from the mounting locations at the rear to your seat?

Motorsport requirements state a minimum angle for the belts for the reasons you mentioned .. Compression of the spine in a high energy impact. A harness installed and worn incorrectly can do more harm than good in an accident.

I have seen aftermarket harness bars which are bolt in and gives you the higher angle. I just loop around my cage but for those who want to keep their rear seats the bolt on option is available

Motorsport requirements state a minimum angle for the belts for the reasons you mentioned .. Compression of the spine in a high energy impact. A harness installed and worn incorrectly can do more harm than good in an accident.

I have seen aftermarket harness bars which are bolt in and gives you the higher angle. I just loop around my cage but for those who want to keep their rear seats the bolt on option is available

Yeah, I've been researching all of that. Usually the max angle is -20 degrees, but that's for a fixed harness. Apparently, because Schroth belts fix to the factory fittings then the car's tensioners etc. all still work so they can get away with a greater angle.

A harness bar would be my next option, but that wouldn't work with the Quick Fit belt so I'd be looking at a standard harness, proper mounting points and probably a race seat. Maybe I should think about a race seat anyway (because I could do with some extra headroom in there!)... but I'll get answers from Schroth first.

This is all interesting stuff!

Hi Suresh,

Ha! Matt sent me a link to those seats the other day... they are something else!

Hi guys,

Started tracking my E36 and I've just fitted some Sparco Evo seats. I'd like to run a harness on track days and will at some point put in a half cage/roll bar. In the meantime I was wondering if I could use a harness bar like this: https://www.redline360.com/cipher-auto-harness-bar-universal-CPA5000HB

I've been looking through the motorsports manual and I'm unsure if one would pass scrutineering.

Has anyone used a harness bar like this?