Sign in to follow this  
darrencnz

E30 M52B28 Conversion Question...

Swapped the sump over, success, have done the M50 inlet manifold conversion, sorted... Wondering what people have been doing about the dipstick??

I have the dipstick from the E34 sump but it gets in the way of everything, be interested in knowing what other people have done?

Cheers

It should fit fine, just turn it so it pops out right behind the alternator. The e34 only had m50 manifolds so it should fit as it does in an m50 unless the tubes bent weird.

Yeah thats what i thought, will have another look.

Do i also have to swap the crank vent tube over to it as well or is there another way to do that?

Depends if you plan on retaining the crank vent stuff. I found it easier to delete and just route the crank case to the intake.

All depends on how you did the m50 manifold install, if you kept the ccv system then you will need to weld a tube into the side or rig something up for the oil to drain back to the sump.

some late E34 (presumably Vanos only) have another tube on the side of the dipstick tube for this reason.

some late E34 (presumably Vanos only) have another tube on the side of the dipstick tube for this reason.

Yeah there is one just below where the dipstick is removed, it's kinda a T piece though and a lot smaller in diameter, i've got a friend who can do it so i'll probably just retrofit the drain pipe from the old dipstick and place it down the bottom where it currently is.

Another question... Am looking at a radiator from an E36 320ti I'm under the understanding that i need the temp sensor out of one of these radiators anyway so would it be wise to just get this radiator? It also has electric fans mounted (motor side) but will they fit or should i just run the aircon fan from the front of the rad?

I used the ti rad. Also a friend used one. We both put a fan on the front of the motor. I've got a 16" fan. My friend used a 14" pusher with no issues. I think the AC fan will be fine.

I used the ti rad. Also a friend used one. We both put a fan on the front of the motor. I've got a 16" fan. My friend used a 14" pusher with no issues. I think the AC fan will be fine.

Cheers

Yeah, i think i'll buy it and kill 2 birds with one stone... It has the fan on the motor side but if it doesnt fit (prob wont but i have removed my air con, viscous etc so who knows?) i can still use my air con fan from my E30 or reverse the one that comes with it and mount in in front.

I can fit a 14" puller (engine side) with a machined water pump. 16" fan could only fit on the front for me. Im running condor engine mounts.

I can fit a 14" puller (engine side) with a machined water pump. 16" fan could only fit on the front for me. Im running condor engine mounts.

Condor engine mounts?? Please elaborate... I haven't bought my engine mounts yet as i was going to buy the 535i M5 mounts as reccomended in all the swap walkthrough's but when i went to mount shop, they didnt have what i was asking for so i left it..

Can i use the alternator and power steering pump from an M50 engine? will they bolt up into the same places without any problems? I can source these really easily and cheap from the same place tomorrow but if it's going to cause issues i'll leave them and wait to get some proper M52 parts. I understand the power steering pumps have slightly different hose connections etc but i figure this might only be an issue when you're doing direct replacements rather than a conversion like me?

Please let me know to either stay away or go for it, i'd rather do things properly but if theres no difference, i'll buy them.

Cheers

Edited by darrencnz

M5 e28 or 335i mounts work. That's what I am using.

Power steering is a good question, this stumped me unknowingly and I didn't prepare during the swap. Was a freaking nightmare to sort once the engine was in to change the lines. The pump hose fittings are different, you can use e30 lines to feed the pump by you need to use an e36 high pressure hose with some tender hammer love to fit from the high pressure output of pump to rack.

Not sure if an m50 pump fits m52 would be worth checking, e30 lines fit it perfectly (I've done both swaps that's why I assumed m52 was the same but the fittings got me)

Well i am putting an E36 rack in as well, i'm not going from the new M52 power steer to E30 rack. My bother works at a hydraulic place so i'm sure getting the right connectors on the hoses wont be a problem.

The rack will be the first thing that goes in when i do the conversion so i will have the luxury of having space, i know i'm going to need some stuff i dont have when i do this but im trying to be as prepared as possible so it doesn't take weeks to do, my plan is to have the swap done inside 2 weeks, doesn't have to be running but i cant leave it too long at my mates place. The joys of living in a studio apartment = No garage

I did my swap in 2 days. 6 months of preparing parts and 2 days to swap it in and running. Just took an extra week to get someone to weld up my exhaust.

I did my swap in 2 days. 6 months of preparing parts and 2 days to swap it in and running. Just took an extra week to get someone to weld up my exhaust.

sh*t yeah! Nice...

I just know im going to be waiting on friends to make stuff for me (it's all free but you cant rush people when it's free) My mates a engineer/fitter/turner so will make all my trans mount, spacers, etc and my brother will have to do my hoses, im just trying to do my bit and make their jobs as easy as possible.

I have the wiring detials from online, thats my biggest concern, f**king hate electrical sh*t with cars..

Exhaust, well mines still running th factory system, so thats all getting replaced, im wondering how much of the stainless headers im going to be able to keep too, they're nice for factory units..