Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

MSS54 and MSS54HP DME thread

Many would have followed or tried to follow the thread on m3forums - and I have to honestly say the work done over there is awesome, the way many contributing members have been willing to lend their time and effort into what is effectively 'reverse engineering' the MSS54 DME.

The thread have matured to such a way that you can now buy a cable, download bmwflash and buy a licence and flash away at your hearts content. That however wasn't enough for me and the flash counter always bothered me some what - that and the reliance over an OBD2 port.

Anyhow ... I've decided to learn a bit more about the process in the hope of perhaps offering this to members who are willing to take the risk of BDM flashing their DMEs (so they don't incur flash counter issues later or want to turn the counter back so to speak) - so I invested in a BDM and a couple of DMEs to practice on first.

I will update this as I go .. still in the learning process and not being a computer or programming guy, it can sometimes take me a little longer to get my head around things - but I am learning and perhaps those who are computer programming literate can help and chime in.

Anyway ... some photos to brighten up the thread.

Hardware:

IMAG2583_zpsa3008916.jpg

My ultra rangi setup at the moment just so I can quickly pull the bin files from the eeproms LOL (I'll make a proper harness when I have time).

IMAG2582_zps7530ee1f.jpg

Next up is to test the BDM.

I might try the EWS delete first .. so if there's a brave soul out there willing to lend their car for this experiment please let me know (using my DMEs of course!!)

Edited by M3_Power

Hellbm is here if you need a testing ground Tom.

Why are you so worried about the flash counter?

OBD flashing is extremely stable under the right conditions with decent flash tools

Why are you so worried about the flash counter?

OBD flashing is extremely stable under the right conditions with decent flash tools

I am not really as 59 flashes is a lot when you do one or two changes, but if you are experimenting with tunes and different applications it takes up the slots fairly quickly and to be able to turn back the flash counter is a bonus with bdm.

BDM tested and working ... Holy crap is this thing fast!!! Less than 11 seconds to do a full dump of both chips!!! This versus over obd2 of 9 minutes for a partial dump and over 30minutes for a full dump.

Have now created a mss54 without ews, no speed limit, sport mode memory, and shift lights for 6 speed manual. Going to dial back the flash counter on this one also back to 1

IMAG2680_zpshd9gct96.jpg

IMAG2681_zpsx7upogsx.jpg

• Like 3

Nice work, you just working with the flash chips or pulling the MPC data also? What programmer are you using?

Get a spring loaded bdm probe a a blank ecu plug to tidy it up

Are those am29fxx chips I can see?

Edited by HaNs

Nice work, you just working with the flash chips or pulling the MPC data also? What programmer are you using?

Get a spring loaded bdm probe a a blank ecu plug to tidy it up

Are those am29fxx chips I can see?

Just the flash chip. Using putty as a terminal and proprietary firmware in the BDM.

Yeah I haven't had time to tidy up the wiring ... at least I have heat shrink on the multiple joints at the moment LOL!!! Will do a proper harness and plug when I have time to raid a wrecked E46 for parts!!

Yep AM29F200 chips on the MSS54 ... 400s on MSS54HP.

Have also removed SAP from the DME ... and put the counter back ... now to test on a 6 speed manual E46 M3 ... anyone have one for testing? Hehe

Any love for the ms42?

Also curios about 'virginising' m5.2 with EWS 3.3.

without ews, no speed limit, sport mode memory, and shift lights for 6 speed manua

What else can you do with this?

Homebrew S54! love it.

Just a word of warning on static Tom. Flashing devices on carpet via unearthed laptop is an easy way for devices to go pop.

Get yourself an electronics anti static work mat and earth it to something if flashing the modules out of the car . Mats are $20-$30

Static isn't necessarily a problem all the time but I've seen enough expensive equipment fry to be weary of the effects of static. ( worst was a pair of $170k network modules)

Otherwise, great project to learn on.

Just a word of warning on static Tom. Flashing devices on carpet via unearthed laptop is an easy way for devices to go pop.

Get yourself an electronics anti static work mat and earth it to something if flashing the modules out of the car . Mats are $20-$30

Static isn't necessarily a problem all the time but I've seen enough expensive equipment fry to be weary of the effects of static. ( worst was a pair of $170k network modules)

Otherwise, great project to learn on.

haha yeah I've been lazy with precautions I must admit. The reality is these DMEs are built fairly robust (they have to given the condition they reside in in the car). At least my soldering iron is anti static hehe!! Will get a mat definitely if I am bench flashing for anyone - the MSS54 is a bit of a test bench to see how far I can take things with it - I even managed to brick the DME using WINKFP doing something odd ... luckily I was able to recover with the BDM. Goes to show that flashing over OBD is risky ... very risky!!

Happy to report I've learnt a good deal about these DMEs recently and have been able to figure out more stuff than what's posted online.

I can basically clone any DMEs now and zero out the AIF(UIF) and flash counters all together .. change VIN ... or as I am about to test soon, virginise a DME (doesn't seem that difficult actually).

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

I even managed to brick the DME using WINKFP doing something odd ... luckily I was able to recover with the BDM. Goes to show that flashing over OBD is risky ... very risky!!

Glad you're finding out the hard way like we have a few times :) Some cars are worse than others.

Wee little update and Ray@Hellbm can chime in if he likes:

After getting some free time on Sunday, I popped over to HellBM and did a proper test with one of Ray's E46 M3 and we can confirm the following works and works well:

- EWS delete (although we've yet to delete the error codes this creates, or we'll probably simply put the ISN table back so that the EWS can resync again and not throw manipulation codes - will do an update on this for Ray later on)

- SAP delete (although Ray reports it still came on for a short period which was strange, but the diagnostic live stream shows it has been turned off)

- Euro EOBD software (supposedly post O2 delete, but Ray reports that the post O2s are still read - we are presuming that it isn't simply implemented in the tune and cold start)

- Sport Mode memory

- Tacho warm up lights now in synch with Oil temperature ala CSL

- CSL engine values to match the CSL SMG software - I had a quick drive of this and can confirm that it works very well. Although I am of the opinion that this latest CSL SMG software version is a bit tammer than the previous three variants (Ray, may I suggest that you flash it to 7 837 731 instead of this latest 7 843 255

- AIF and flash counter wipe back to 01 - so plenty more flash remains if Ray so inclines!!

- Also matched the DME's VIN with the vehicle so everything looks exactly as it should be.

Oh and thanks to the generous offerings of Ray@Hellbm ... I now have proper plugs for the bench flash rather than dodgy wiring LOL!!!

More to come!!!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2

This is one hell of an upgrade. A very aggressive drive today on the backroads confirmed the new shift patterns. Love the snappy downshifts,the faster smoother upshifts and the 8000 rev limit - in all gears.

Add to the list of changes:Dyno mode on and speed limit removal.

The next DME`s to look at will have to be 6 spd manual MSS54 (M3 Touring project) and The S62`s MSS52.

Very pleased to be involved in this as the test pilot with my cars as test vehicles.

Many thanks Tom.

• Like 1

Tested virginising a used MSS54HP DME and then reflashed it with WINKFP with brand new updated software (it bought up every single version of the updated HP software version when flashing - everything worked as it should .. coding index 01, brand new UIF/AIF entry with new VIN and 0km on the record, manufacture date was dated today however (but that's in line with the laptop date), empty EWS ISN table waiting to be sync'd... just like it left the factory : )

Edited by M3_Power

Have sorted Ray out with a new updated DME with the csl dme smg related tables also now included. I took the car for a quick run up the road and can report the smg now functions exactly like a csl.

Also managed to sort out the ews delete issues and hopefully a few other tweaks have made the car even more fun - awaits Ray to report back.

I have also successfully created a cloned MSS54HP CSL DME by soldering on the missing transistors and the all important H bridge driver - tested this out on my own car and everything functions 100% as per my original DME. Now to acquire that spare car and create my own CSL replica LOL!!!

Have also gotten pretty good at soldering on the BDM headers to the board now ... Almost OEM quality if I may say so : P

IMAG3050_zps02vwmjmh.jpg

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Very cool stuff.

Might seem like a dumb question but is this hard to do due to bmw trying to lock people out to prevent reverse engineering or tampering of cars. Or is it simply just a huge system that makes it very complicated.

Love all aspects of it. Working seamlessly. Big thanks Tom.

MSS52 time??

• Like 1

all of the above :)

Luckily there are some clever people around that don't work for BMW ... LOL And end users like me that are crazy enough to splash out on the gear to try it out : )

Love all aspects of it. Working seamlessly. Big thanks Tom.

MSS52 time??

Excellent to hear Ray ... I figured you haven't txt'd or called to say how awesome the new update is because you've been out drivings?? haha!!

Working on acquiring one at the moment ... should happen soon enough : )

• Like 1

This is so awesome Tom - was speaking to Ray about it and definitely keen for SMG flash...

Cheers

Nick

Happy to help out Nick ...

My suggestion to Ray and anyone wanting this done is to grab a spare mss54 or mss54hp and I'll mod the spare dme and put all the original dme stuff on it creating a clone ... That way you can put whatever you want on it and not be worried about damaging an original dme.

I can wipe the ISN table related to ews also so it can be re-sync'd. If you ever put the original dme back in it can be resync'd also.

Just tested the clone csl dme again and and H bridge driver ... Flapper works like the real deal : )

I also have everything to create a csl engine clone now ... Anyone wanna volunteer to be my test bed?? Haha ... Unfortunately you don't get to keep the stuff afterwards : )

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

By the way, in case it wasn't clear. In keeping with the spirit of how all this originated in the usa and the knowledge being shared and open source, I am happy to offer these conversions and modifications for members for no money exchanged, except for the cost of the headers themselves (I have to buy these from abroad and they aren't cheap given how small they are - roughly $10 a set after shipping is taken into account).

If you want this done on an original DME, then it will be on the basis of all risks and no responsibility (I will however take a full dump of your DME over OBD before proceeding of course just in case and more than happy to lend a tester DME for you to get a sense of what it will be like.

As for full CSL DME conversions ... Unfortunately these cost a bit more to do and I am not 100% confident with the H bridge soldering yet as it is heat sunken and I need better tooling for it really (working on it) - so any CSL conversions on HP DMEs will be H bridgeless until I have had more pratice. (Intake flapper codes will be removed for this purpose)

NB to get the most out of the CSL DME upgrade you'll need a few more bits and pieces and convert to MAP sensor and the airbox of course, otherwise kind of pointless.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Have confirmed how to change the final drive ratio coding (and gear ratio) within the DME for SMG cars that have changed final drives.

Have also located a local source for BDM headers ... can now get them for $2 each LOL!!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

This sh*t is so cool that someone here in NZ is able to do this. Mad props to you Tom. I just wish I had more time to learn and understand this type of thing more.

• Like 1