Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

supercharger brackets for Sc14

I have seen quite a few of those toyota blowers float around on here and trademe, but never came across any bracket designs to bolt one on M50/M52/S50 etc. Does anybody here have a lead for me or a design I could have to get the engneering house copy it? I know a few members here have toyed with them. So you must have something :D

The SC14's will make around 4-5PSi from the stock pully, but I still wanted to give one a try since they have a magnatic 12V clutch that can be turned on and off using a switch, Would had been a lot of fun. There's a few SC14's on trademe right now eg. this http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/carburation-induction/auction-755550561.htm So I wanted to snatch one and make it a weekends work, looks pretty straight forward.

Edited by Dr. Jekyll

I think I may be able to help. We haver 2 SC14s running on our Hondas. Where are you thinking of placing it? we removed the air con and have a guy who makes up the brackets for us.

I have thought about removing the AC and running it off the belt but I think there is just enough room to cram it in there once the air box is removed, just a slight modification to the manifolds are needed. Its been done before, here's how some one did the bracket. I'll PM you later to discuss things, if you got a one of our cars around I would be keen to work on building a bolt on setup for a fun little setup on the go.

This one is off Gregs M3 (S50 engine very similar to the M50 and M52 as far as the mountings go), he sold the setup since and currently a guy in auckland has it(bought off trademe for under $500) for the whole thing and he wouldn't even sell it to me nor will he install it! bugger.

post-51207-0-66331100-1406256606.jpg

post-51207-0-32369700-1406256607.jpg

post-51207-0-11920900-1406256608.jpg

post-51207-0-57212400-1406256608.jpg

post-51207-0-56578100-1406256609.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjsEVwFR1_Y

will you be running a charge cooler?

under 5 PSi, so no point of charge coolers really, might even add a draw back/lag imo. Most Sc14 setups I have seen seem to run them just as is with the stock pully, usually makes around 4 - 5PSI but the older Merc Ac pully can be swapped with the pully of the SC14 to make around 6-7PSI.

Edited by Dr. Jekyll

I guess it all comes down to how deep you are willing to reach into your pocket, SC14 makes a nice little straightforward exprement on the go, without going too deep. I have looked into the merc & mini blowers. but I like the toyota ones for their versility, availablity and fact you can get them for next to nothing these days.

While a nice idea you're really just pushing sh1t up hill. They are quite a fiddly project and it becomes a matter of are you just mucking around or trying to do a legitimate upgrade.

If I was to give a serious crack at it a more modern watercooled Eaton m90 setup could work nicely.

Eaton out of a mini would be a great option, my first choice actually. But picked the SC14 for its price, versatility, the magnetic clutch option meaning its only on when I want it, like how your ac works.

its a sidegrade, something to play around with when I want, not looking for high numbers to call it an upgrade.

• Like 1

The estima 2.5 engine makes 100kw, the sc14 charged version makes 120kw . Have you run the numbers for what increase you'd see? Doesn't sound like a lot to me for the effort involved.

eaton m90 pushes around 1.5L the SC14 around 1.4L of air. The SC14 is more compact in size and costs a fraction of the other charger. Both are roots type so we are not looking at making anything more then 30kw on a good day maybe around 5-6PSi with aftermarket pullys. Both are probably a waste of time and money if you look from a high gains POV. But for the money spent, I dont have high expecations, I'm not too greddy, always wanted to tinker with one of these...just something more fun on the side. now enough trying to talk me out of it, help me out with designs, etc if you have some exprience..I'm more concerned about the engine running too lean on full throttle and taking the HG before I get it tuned from Aucks (hi velocity).

Edited by Dr. Jekyll

Seems a worthwhile project to tinker with and give yourself a better understanding. I don't have any experience bolting superchargers to anything but being the resourceful type (ie: cheap) I've had bits and pieces fab'd up from templates I've made for multiple other uses - That part can't be too hard, grab your ruler and drill and fab up something sketchy that'll have it sitting in the right place. I've used odd scrap laying around in the past - bits of 4-5mm acrylic/polycarb, Plywood, thin gauge steel, nuts/bolts/washers to get things mounted right, and taken all measurements from my rudimentary mount and designed in Adobe Illustrator for laser cutting/water cutting in ali/plywood or whatever I'd needed.

The clutched drive sounds interesting. I've always been fond of that Scene in MadMax when Gibson pulls the trigger on the B&M shifter to engage the charger on the XB Interceptor..

• Like 1

Thats exactly whats on my mind right now but I have next to no exprience with fab work, I'd hate to come up with something that will not bolt up right or something. For someone with resources it'd probably cost around $100 - $150 to get the breackets done with a 6 Cyl at hand. Yep, everytime I think of it, Mad Max and Lone Wolf Mcquade is what comes to my head :lol:

Somebody come forward and help me out please, I am serious about putting money towards it, it would be a good weekend project, we just need the charger (if you got one then good, otherwise I wil pay to get one off trademe, then we figure out the bracket, the manifold, a bov, and a belt, can be done pretty cheap on the go. And after its done we can make the brackets available for other bs members.

would be pretty cool to have a sc14 bolt on for s50 m50 etc engines!

• Like 1

Pretty sure Gregs thread outlined why the SC14 was a poor match for the S50. Iirc the charger just didn't flow sufficient air for the engine, the project was binned pretty quickly. Might work ok on a B20 but I'd suspect the eaton charger from the 3.8 commy would be better matched to the bigger M5x. Or just turbo a B28 or B30.

• Like 1

IMO, one of these would be like giving an S50 asthma :P

They come on 2.4L Previas and put out 160hp...260nm in supercharged form. Says a lot right there.

Edited by Michael.

If you find the listing there's an m122 for 1200nzd shipped on eBay. Brand spankers. Although don't buy it, as I want it.

Pretty sure Gregs thread outlined why the SC14 was a poor match for the S50. Iirc the charger just didn't flow sufficient air for the engine, the project was binned pretty quickly. Might work ok on a B20 but I'd suspect the eaton charger from the 3.8 commy would be better matched to the bigger M5x. Or just turbo a B28 or B30.

I spoke with greg some 2 years ago when he was selling it on trademe, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-484566624.htm "I had this on my car for a short period, went extremely well, I didn't have it dyno'd but would assume around a 50 bhp increase at least.Makes an excellent noise on song. May need a retune once fitted, I didn't do this however." still have his emails saved up, he overall had only good things to say apart from the fact tha tthe engine did run a bit lean at WOT. Said the reason he went with the bolt on 5K kit from US was that it gave a lot more power and included a tune up where this project would require a remap/retune which I already have planned.

The Eaton and SC14 pushes similar ammount of Air, The SC14 still is a nice prospect to play around with, they are running these blowers in bigger commy's in OZ all the time. Its just that the toyota blowers are not very efficient if you want big gains. Upto 6 PSI should be okay. Go higher (ebay pullys) and you will run into trouble to run them right not to say it hasn't been done but I dont have big expectations with this.. Just a sidegrade.

IMO, one of these would be like giving an S50 asthma :P

They come on 2.4L Previas and put out 160hp...260nm in supercharged form. Says a lot right there.

:P Lol. Wudchya just help me out! what does he have to lose, I'm paying for the brackets, blower, and most crap, he just gotta chip in a bit, fit it on his car and play around with it for sometime before I can take it off his hands. product sampling if you will, and if he likes it then hey, he already figured out how to and now can have the brackets made! its a win win situation for everybody. :D

Edited by Dr. Jekyll

S50 processes a lot more air in normally aspirated form than an M52 B28 like 26% more assuming identical flow and fill behaviour

The M52 wont fill as well so the S50 is more likely to be processing closer to 30 -35% more air to make the power it does.

Running at 40 to 50% overdrive the SC14 should produce between 0.35 and 0.45 bar boost which would add about 30 to 40 kilowatts to an M52

That would take mine from 170 kW to 200 - 210 kW - I'd be happy with that for a grand all up ?

SC 14 is rated to 12,000 RPM - 50% overdrive would take it to 9750 RPM at the stock red line for the M52

and what do you figure for a s50b32??

That's what I thought. But can't find any compressor maps for the sc14 ,I don't think Toyota ever released anything. Also heat of the charge goes up with rpm so risk of detonation or not enough fueling increases a lot especially with the high 11.3 to 1 compression.