Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Wife's replacement car..

The poor old 320d is getting in a bit and with nearly 3 years of ownership it's time to shift it along. Yes it's a Volvo. We like the safety aspects and like the rear child seats built into the seats avoiding cumbersome child seats. I bought sight unseen as I couldn't get away from work. Upon first driving it I've noticed the rear wheel bearings are screwed and that the engine has a whirring noise which gains pitch and volume with engine rpm. I'm guessing a tensioner or bearings to do with the belts? The cambelt was recently replaced by the Volvo dealers in ChCh. Can anyone tell what the noise would be before taking it to a workshop? Have posted a pic and video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWnLUqJqVU

10352188_10204857941227073_3759257689646

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Hmmm you must really love your wife....

• Like 3

Hmmm you must really love your wife....

Lol have you actually driven one?

Dad wants one to replace his Falcon.

I think they are nice. Bloody well priced for what you get too. I wonder if there's a reason for that though :P

Dad wants one to replace his Falcon.

I think they are nice. Bloody well priced for what you get too. I wonder if there's a reason for that though :P

Relative I guess. Pay less at the start get less at the sale. I'd never compare them to a bmw but they ain't no Toyboata either. Very safe feeling to drive and quite clever and has an epic roar from that 5 cyclinder donk. Edited by The Diesel Guy

Weren't tempted to get her a Lexus IS220d?

Never. I'm guessing the d means diesel, never knew Lexus did Diesel.

• Like 1

Man, I would seriously be in the dog kennel if I bought one of those nasty front wheel drive things home.

there are TWO aspects to safety:

a - how easy it is to maintain control and avoid being involved in a crash,

b - how the vehicle manages the impact to protect occupants.

The NCAP and most other studies focus on the latter only and from the anecdotal picture I have from attending more than 500 car crashes most cars do this reasonable well.

What is also highly evident is that it is the poorly designed cars that are involved in the crashes in the first place.

High on my list of features that reduce ability to control are:

1- Poor weight distribution,

2 - Poor chassis design,

3- Under - engineered front wheel drive systems,

4 - An over -reliance on stability control & ABS to mask the three points above.

In short:: front heavy , front wheel drive cars with rubbish suspension that understeer and lose traction early .

A car that has both dynamic and passive safety is better than one that relies predominantly on passive safety ( b and 4 above)

Most prolific car in recent months to THROW it's self off the road - Holden CRUZ - as my daughter would say NAAASTY

I admire the passion but t's going to be going to supermarkets, schools and kindergartens and will barely reach above 60kph. No one cares about understeer and weight distribution on a school bus lol. Anyway, I wouldn't call a Volvo a poorly designed car.

Going to the mag wheel man here in Dunners today with it to order some similar wheels to this :

317543554.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Lol have you actually driven one?

Yep I have driven one and had the misfortune of owning a couple of Volvos (V70R, old 440SE back in the day)

Just make sure you buy a warranty for it!

Yep I have driven one and had the misfortune of owning a couple of Volvos (V70R, old 440SE back in the day)

Just make sure you buy a warranty for it!

Those are old turd buckets compared to a newer Volvo, they've moved along a bit since those cars.

Is it a diesel? If so, check if the particulate filter has been replaced, they are ruinously expensive to do.

Bit passive aggressive there. All the guy was doing was sharing a pic of his new family hack. I didn't read that as an invitation for you to spout a diatribe on your own wagon which won't fall off the road at 80kph like a Hyundai will at 60. Awesome.

• Like 1

I've watched Holdens, Hyundais and others throw themselves off the road at less than 60k on corners I happily navigate at 80k plus - I have no desire to toss my kids in the ditch on the way to school - hence the X5 is our school bus.

- unlikely to fall of the road,

- unlikely to come off second best,

- unlikely to chuck up rude surprises when least wanted.

The "poorly designed" was a framing comment not specifically aimed at the Volvo, didn't bother researching them any further after the first couple of test drives,  the most alarming was the XC 90 - horrific  understeer and sledging if even slightly encouraged,  cars were mediocre- would go an Alfa 156 or 159 / VW Golf for a FWD shopping basket.  

Good luck with the Volvo  -

I'll keep this brief as to not ruin dg's thread.

While fwd does have its limitations, it's idiots that try and drive them like a rwd that tend to make them plough and fall off the road. Entry speed, braking points, throttle on points - all different.

We all know you're a manual rwd zealot. Dosen't make you right though.

Unless there are F1 or WRC drivers on here masquerading as average everyday enthusiasts, I doubt anyone has the right to consider themselves great drivers. It's all relative. Perhaps when compared to a stay at home mum/dad who drives 15 km once a fortnight to visit family there are people here who are better. But that's about it.

• Like 1

Is it a diesel? If so, check if the particulate filter has been replaced, they are ruinously expensive to do.

Nah mate, 2.4 5 cyclinder petrol.

I'll keep this brief as to not ruin dg's thread.

While fwd does have its limitations, it's idiots that try and drive them like a rwd that tend to make them plough and fall off the road. Entry speed, braking points, throttle on points - all different.

We all know you're a manual rwd zealot. Dosen't make you right though.

LOL once again, this is a school bus that will rarely see anything above 60kph.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

LOL @ "throw yourself off the road at 60kph"

You'd have to be inattentive to the point of being negligent, or deserving of being thrown off the road at 60KPH if it ever actually happened.

Too funny.

Clinton- what made you choose the Volvo over say, an E60?

E60 is twice as big as this car, this Vulva is more 3 series size, oh and it owes me 3500 only as it sits now.

Bought the wagon sibling, a T5 V50 for my missus a few months back. Nice cars, she's very happy with it. Hope you have a good run with it, mine hasn't given me any trouble at all but the turbo 5 is a touch thirsty round town, I'd say the n/a ones are probably a heap better on fuel. Good deal at 3.5k, paid 10k for mine!

At 3.5k, I'm assuming that's what it cost him after selling/ trading the BMW.

At 3.5k, I'm assuming that's what it cost him after selling/ trading the BMW.

Nope, swapped a hyundai i30 diesel for it which I paid 3500 for. Still have the 320d. It will be for sale as soon as I get round to it lol.

As someone who does 15000+KM every 3 months in a absolutely rubbish XC Holden Combo, I even take it on farms, drive it in paddocks... end up in the middle of nowhere, has no traction control, and sits on 185's

Please get over yourself, Yes you're right but there is a point which nobody really cares.

• Like 1