Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Wife's replacement car..

Oh jesus, another biased, irrelevant and misinformed 3Pedals rant >_<

The new volvos are really nice cars, im sure itll make a damn good daily for you. is it an import or nz new?

• Like 1

LOL @ "throw yourself off the road at 60kph"

You'd have to be inattentive to the point of being negligent, or deserving of being thrown off the road at 60KPH if it ever actually happened.

Too funny.

Now now, I managed to pop an E36 into a concrete wall, flip it onto its roof and slide down a hill.. At 45k..

Yes, its possible..

Oh jesus, another biased, irrelevant and misinformed 3Pedals rant >_<

The new volvos are really nice cars, im sure itll make a damn good daily for you. is it an import or nz new?

It's a shitport unfortunately. But it might do the trick for a bit, needs wheels.

ive driven one and it was not bad. actually drove reasonably well.

think the volvo evolve tuned ones look pretty gangstaaaaaa

LOL @ "throw yourself off the road at 60kph"

You'd have to be inattentive to the point of being negligent, or deserving of being thrown off the road at 60KPH if it ever actually happened.

Too funny.

That's actually Ron's point, I think. Any time spent on the open road will show you plenty of examples of people who are negligent, or just plain incompetent behind the wheel. You've all seen them, surprised by corners, surprised by other vehicles, braking on a straight for no reason. Driving at 75km/h, then 120, then 85. Driving is an activity that actually requires some attention to what you're doing.

Having agreed with that bit, we have a FWD car that is completely at home on the open road and I don't like the Volvo!

But I don't have to drive it, so if Clinton is happy, go for it. We all know you'll sell it in 3 months anyway.

• Like 2

Love or loathe the Volvo, it does seem interesting that the bulk of the forum content of late seems to be centered around bashing other peoples preferences.

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive, but, from my observation, it seems we've gone away from being a place to ask advice on maintenance, float ideas for potential projects and sharing progress reports on projects to being a thinly veiled troll-fest interspersed with the odd photo gallery of pics from the latest meet.

I'm not suggesting for a second that peoples opinions be censored, nor that my opinion is worth more than anyone elses ( It's not. I'll happily admit I know f**k all about anything!!) just observing the shift from how the forum used to be when I first joined 5ish years ago to how it is now.

Or am I just getting too old for the internets??

• Like 3

It's the Kiwi way. Take other people down at the knees for no apparent reason. The tyranny of distance.....

• Like 2

So to summarise for OP dont buy your wofe a car. Sge is most likely human and humans will crash the car 100% of the time.

Volvos have class leading safety features but dont be fooled this is only because when power is delivered to the front wheels the car will most likely just explode.

Best option is to ship the family off to a hippie commune and take plenty of tin foil to make hats.

• Like 3

or screw it, buy a manual diesel X5. Bestest, safest car evar.

So to summarise for OP dont buy your wofe a car. Sge is most likely human and humans will crash the car 100% of the time.

Volvos have class leading safety features but dont be fooled this is only because when power is delivered to the front wheels the car will most likely just explode.

Best option is to ship the family off to a hippie commune and take plenty of tin foil to make hats.

Hahah, interesting take and who knows Scott, it might not even last that long, however we did have her 320d for 3 years though.

My opinion is that for what this car will be used for being FWD won't make a sh*t of difference.

or screw it, buy a manual diesel X5. Bestest, safest car evar.

Mine wasn't - but then mine was automatic which deserves to be shot at dawn, when pushed hard my one would understeer like a bitch, but that's only because of the big 3.0d anvil up the front. But then again, I never bought that X5 to be a handler, to push to the ragged edge every time I jumped in it.

Sorry Ron, but I just couldn't help myself, just a bit of banta lol.

post-2864-0-76318300-1406681558.jpg

• Like 3

Hahah, interesting take and who knows Scott, it might not even last that long, however we did have her 320d for 3 years though. My opinion is that for what this car will be used for being FWD won't make a sh*t of difference.

Yeah, I thought you'd kept that too long as I wrote it. As I said, if you like it, who cares?

Yeah, I thought you'd kept that too long as I wrote it. As I said, if you like it, who cares?

Aye, I do like the new R-Design Volvo's, dunno what they are like to drive and own but they look good and for some people that's all that matters.

Now now, I managed to pop an E36 into a concrete wall, flip it onto its roof and slide down a hill.. At 45k..

Yes, its possible..

An e36? No great loss then.. So, dumbass, how did you manage all that at 45K? :blink:

Chances are you probably won't be scrambling around on the ceiling of your car, at the bottom of a hill, after stacking into a concrete wall again anytime soon I imagine.

Human nature to slip up anyway, that's what accidents are generally. Thankfully the majority of us get to walk away and laugh it off and have the sense of recollection to not do the same again. You can only make things so safe but in the end it boils down to human involvement and the dumbfu@#ery (intentional or not) we're prone too now and then. It only really goes all wrong when we drift across the center lane, cycle into the path of trucks, or leap out of hot air balloons or suchlike when the odds really are stacked against us.

Falling off the road or being T-boned by a speeding out of control cement truck isn't something anyone considers before they reverse out their driveway in the morning. I imagine most of us have driven enough FWD, RWD, nice cars, sh!t cars to know we're only capable of controlling what we're in control of. And we know if we screw up there's consequences.

Modern red Volvo, looks as safe as anything else to me.

• Like 1

An e36? No great loss then.. So, dumbass, how did you manage all that at 45K? :blink:

Chances are you probably won't be scrambling around on the ceiling of your car, at the bottom of a hill, after stacking into a concrete wall again anytime soon I imagine.

Human nature to slip up anyway, that's what accidents are generally. Thankfully the majority of us get to walk away and laugh it off and have the sense of recollection to not do the same again. You can only make things so safe but in the end it boils down to human involvement and the dumbfu@#ery (intentional or not) we're prone too now and then. It only really goes all wrong when we drift across the center lane, cycle into the path of trucks, or leap out of hot air balloons or suchlike when the odds really are stacked against us.

Falling off the road or being T-boned by a speeding out of control cement truck isn't something anyone considers before they reverse out their driveway in the morning. I imagine most of us have driven enough FWD, RWD, nice cars, sh!t cars to know we're only capable of controlling what we're in control of. And we know if we screw up there's consequences.

Modern red Volvo, looks as safe as anything else to me.

Well.

I had only had my license for a couple of weeks. It was my first car I bought for myself that wasn't half of the BFs and it was a 318is (dont forget that extra power haha)

Not being experienced, and never learning how to correct a slide out..

I came around a corner a little to quick in the wet, back end went out and as I tried to correct it, not knowing how, I went over a catseye, slicing my tyre which then directed my car into a concrete wall, hit it, flipped and slid back down the hill I was meant to be going up.

I was going so slow that my airbags didnt even deploy.. Although can't trust them at their age anyway...

I was NOT charged with anything, despite an investigation because the Police believe the cause of the crash was due to 'environmental' and 'car' errors.

Past the point, it can happen. I am fortunate to be an great driver now. And can confidently say that if I can control an M4 on the Skid pad, Id never make that stupid mistake again.

Its the driver, not always the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Jesus Christ. That thing is filthy! Look at the crap all over the bumpers..

Mad photo's, is that you in there rescuing your teddy-bears?

• Like 1

Jesus Christ. That thing is filthy! Look at the crap all over the bumpers..

Mad photo's, is that you in there rescuing your teddy-bears?

Haha I live on a farm!

All my daughters toys in there, she wasn't in the car.

On a better note, here is meh taking control of an M4 with no love from technology, no DSC nothing with full power under there.. Perfecto if ya ask me.. Esp for a women ;)

https://vimeo.com/102100120

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, did you end up on your lid without breaking a window? I don't see any glass scattered anywhere.

I am fortunate to be an great driver now. And can confidently say that if I can control an M4 on the Skid pad, Id never make that stupid mistake again.

Dont be cocky, its more dangerous than being a "rubbish" driver.

• Like 3

Haha that's awesome, you even have photos!

Clinton, I hear that you can't consider yourself a true enthusiast until you own an Alfa :P Also I reckon for the money, a SAAB might be a good bet too.

Best. Crash. Ever. I would love to flip a car.. is that wrong?

Volvos are sweet dude!
Fills its purpose perfectly and for $3500!! you thief!

When are we all going to catch up for beers? I wana see your luxobarge!

Best. Crash. Ever. I would love to flip a car.. is that wrong?

Volvos are sweet dude!

Fills its purpose perfectly and for $3500!! you thief!

When are we all going to catch up for beers? I wana see your luxobarge!

Justin doesn't know it yet but I've already been in his garage and beer fridge with his father in law and I haven't even met Justin yet lol.

• Like 1

Dont be cocky, its more dangerous than being a "rubbish" driver.

Please note the "heavy" sarcasm in that... Jeepers

Im a competent driver thank you very much.

Just out of curiosity, did you end up on your lid without breaking a window? I don't see any glass scattered anywhere.

Smashed windscreen and passanger window.

I walked away from that with nothing more than a bloody good lesson from fate