Sign in to follow this  
andyb184

DIY: E46 Retrofit Infrared to Radio Frequency remote control

My E46 was imported from Japan and came with the infamous 2-button Infrared (IR) remote control system. The range of the IR signal is extremely limited and also requires a direct line of sight to the car. After reading through some forum threads combined with some of my own findings it seemed fairly easy to convert from IR to RF. This is a guide to inform you of the basic steps. I’d like to thank Colin from http://bmwgm5.info for giving me some suggestions and helping me along the way to make this work.

On cars with infrared control the antenna for the central-locking system (FZV) is incorporated with the receiver into the interior rear view mirror, whereas the radio frequency receiver is part of the antenna amplifier which is installed in the left C-pillar.

post-51619-0-05970000-1407739564.jpg

In both instances the receiver produces a digital signal based on the transmitter command (IR vs. 315/433MHz) and sends it to the GM5 for processing. The GM5 then carries out all remote locking and opening features, along with the DWA arming/disarming functions. The one thing both locking systems have in common is the incoming signal at Pin#49 of the General Module unit (X253, 54-pin, black plug connector).

post-51619-0-06244600-1407739561.jpg

1) Antenna Amp w/ RF receiver

You must replace the antenna amplifier. There are 2 different frequencies used (315 MHz and 433 MHz) which vary from country to country. You must first determine which frequency you want. You could go either way but you probably want to make sure you are in compliance with federal requirements.

• # 65 25 6 906 074 433 MHz EU
  • # 65 25 6 906 075 315 MHz US/JAP/CAN

I found a used 433 MHz Antenna Amp on ebay for about $30.

post-51619-0-38816200-1407739559.jpg

As a side note, you often find the older-style diversity Amp (99-01) featuring an extra co-axial connector for signal quality determination. I do not recommend getting one of these. People who upgrade their business radio later but have the old amp installed often discover degradation in radio reception quality until they also finally decide to replace the amp for a newer one. There are various threads on this issue across the boards if you're interested.

post-51619-0-89074500-1407739559.jpg

2) Matching Keys (diamond style 3-button key)

For this I didn’t go to the dealer but decided to take the DIY route which proved to be a lot cheaper:

I ordered two uncut EWS Remote Key 3 Button 433MHZ BMW HU92 key blade including virgin transponder chip and AK90 Key programmer, all for about $140 on ebay. The locksmith finally charged me $40 to cut both keys. You might be able to find an automotive locksmith that can also program the transponder for you.

post-51619-0-23568700-1407739562.jpg

3) Wiring

You need to run your own wiring harness from the Amp (connector X1143) to the GM5 and fuse box behind the glove compartment.

In a nutshell: On a sedan, you pop off the left rear seat side bolster and remove the front and back inner door sills to expose the carpet entry points. Then route your new harness alongside the existing one to the front of the car using some zip ties.

Parts needed:

• # 61 13 8 377 072 Universal socket housing, 3 POL.
  • # 61 13 1 393 702 Terminal socket (0.2–0.5 mm2), come in 10-pack
  • 10ft of 2-conductor stranded wire, 20AWG (0.5mm2)
  • 2 scotchlok or quick-splice connectors

Cut both strands of your wire to same length and crimp a terminal to each end of the wire, only Pin#1 and #3 are needed. If you are lucky the amp will come with an old snipped off connector plug like mine did which you can reuse and save a bit of money.

post-51619-0-51863400-1407739563.jpg

Important: Disconnect the negative battery lead (ground cable) before tapping into the fuse box and GM5 unit!

I am not going into detail on how to locate and gain access to the GM5 or the back of the fuse box as there are plenty instructions available on the web. Using the scotch connectors, tab the wire coming from Pin#1 to the back of Fuse49 (Red/Violet wire). Pin#3 wire gets spliced to the wire at Pin#49 (Blue/Red wire) of plug connector X253 (middle one) at the GM5 module.

Be aware, there is another Blue/Red wire running inside the X253 harness, although slightly bigger in diameter. Best is to unplug the X253 from the GM5 and push the actual 54-pin connector out of its black housing to reveal the pin-outs which are all numbered. There is a small white tab securing the connector in its housing which you will need to slide out before. After you identified the correct Pin#49 you can wiggle on the wire and splice into the harness further up.

post-51619-0-57204200-1407739561.jpg

post-51619-0-38696300-1407739560.jpg

Note:

It’s probably a good idea to double-check your wiring to rule out any connectivity issues before putting everything back together. When you connect a meter to Pin#1 and one of the grounded T20 Torx screws of the Amp you should read +12V. Pin#3 should give you a reading of +5V. Check if the +5V drop slightly when pressing any button on the RF key fob, same goes for the IR key.

4) Key Programming

I noticed that upon completion of the retrofit you have to switch the ignition on and off briefly for the vehicle's electrical system to recognize the new components. After that you should be able to proceed with the standard BMW syncing procedure for the diamond-shaped key. The IR key will work as well as it should be still connected to the GM5.

post-51619-0-21357900-1412890378.jpg

5) Retro-fit Coding

This retrofit is not coding-relevant! You could add it to the VO of your car if it really matters to you but it will not make a difference in functionality. For the sake of completeness I used NCSExpert and added Option S874A RADIO FREQUENCY 434 MHZ and also removed S875A INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL – it didn’t make a difference at all.

All the other components that complete the RF system, such as the rear window antenna, trap circuit and EWS ring around the top of ignition cylinder for inductive charging are already installed by BMW. The electric trunk lock will also work with the new key.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Edited by andyb184
  • Like 2

nice write-up. well done!

thats interesting the RF and IR both work together.. great if you don't have NCS etc.

all up cheaper than a replacement key from BMW NZ too!

Great write up. Did you also add a inductance charging ring to the ignition to charge the keys ?

Very impressive work, bet this will be useful for a lot of people. Well done

one of the biggest annoyances on older e46s those IR remotes. too bad im too scared to take on such a job but good write up none the less!

• Like 1

Interesting..... I have a 433mHz RF system that came from an NZ new 5er I parted this year. Only have 1 key but do have everything else........... tempting!

Great write up. Did you also add a inductance charging ring to the ignition to charge the keys ?

no need to modify anything, the EWS ring antenna is already in place and a key with coil antenna integrated will be charged inductively.

The key fobs I bought initially came with a coin cell battery. I swapped out the circuit board for one of these

EWS Remote 3 Button Board 433MHZ for BMW E46 KEYLESS KEY - works like a charm.

Great solution ! I noticed the infra red aerial amp on the right rear pillar when doing a rear speaker replacement and thought it was in an odd place. Especially when the ir receivers led is in the clone noise.

You've worked through the system well. I was thinking that the charge coils would need adding and the ews would need some kind of custom load.

Tim325 needs to see this thread for his compact project.

Great solution ! I noticed the infra red aerial amp on the right rear pillar when doing a rear speaker replacement and thought it was in an odd place. Especially when the ir receivers led is in the clone noise.

You've worked through the system well. I was thinking that the charge coils would need adding and the ews would need some kind of custom load.

Tim325 needs to see this thread for his compact project.

Sorry I didn't make it clear enough but all circuitry and components for the IR are housed in the mirror. The amp in the C-pillar is only for radio reception but you should double-check: It doesn't have a sticker showing the Frequency used (433 or 315Mhz) and it's also missing the X1143 3-pin connector.

Edited by andyb184

Good on you. Have been through this also and still getting things sorted.The car has the radio entry/ central locking already fitted and it worked fine but after the engine trans plant and recoding it did not. Still have to get the gm5 checked to see if it has been turned off, altered or what ever the situations is. With the ews 3 I believe it is involved with the central locking remote entry system as part of the security of the vehicle as well. As the key that is being used to send the correct code to the ews at the moment is from a Japanese car and of the infrared type I'm not sure if I can run the radio system or have to convert to the infrared completely would prefer to stay with the radio type if I could.

Do you know if this can be done on a E39 ?? I have always wanted to do this - especially as I already have a Diamond Key coded and cut to my car, after a stuff up my Jeff Grays !

On that - the key Grays sold me would be 433 MHz correct ?? ( is there a way to find out ? )

Do you know if this can be done on a E39 ?? I have always wanted to do this - especially as I already have a Diamond Key coded and cut to my car, after a stuff up my Jeff Grays !

On that - the key Grays sold me would be 433 MHz correct ?? ( is there a way to find out ? )

I would assume it's 433 Mhz (usually there is some fine print on the back showing the frequency).

As far as the retrofit is concerned, I am not 100% sure what's involved but I think it's possible. Generally speaking, the RF locking system always consists of a key, GM, Amp and Antenna.

Check behind the right hand (driver) C-pillar. You'll probably find a black antenna amp but similar to the one described above which will have to be replaced with a 433 Mhz counterpart. The new amp will also feature a 3-pin connector (X1143) but the pinout and connection to the GM3 and fuse block will be different. I will have to study the wiring diagrams to be more specific. PM me please.

Definitely keen to find out if it will work for E39. Looking at doing the same on the wagon if possible

I double-checked yesterday and it looks like the amp could be either in the left or right c-pillar depending on the build of your car. The rest of the setup is very similar to the one above. To be sure, please pull both covers, take a good picture of the amp and post it in a new thread dedicated to the E39.

Thanks

• Like 1

Im considering on doing this on my e39 wagon. Seems quite intense tbh.

Changing of the amp etc is not hard the part you need to beware of is the Key side and what series your EWS is. This gets more involved as the number gets higher my situation was a New Zealand vehicle which was RF but a larger cc motor from a japanese vehicle which had infrared. Using the motors electronics ews DME etc throw the whole system out of line. To keep the RF set up I had to get new keys from E-bay have them cut the correct transponder chips fitted inside the keys and the motor ews. As this was way above me and after some research I found a member Tom who seems to do wonders with this stuff. These items were sent to him and he down loaded the EWS info aligned the two new keys and transponder chips to the EWS and tested it. Upon fitting it all the vehicle could be remote locked and unlocked engine fired up with the use of a single key. What Andy is describe may be slightly different and not to take anything away from the work Andy he has put in but always research and question as your situation may not be the same.

Hi guys I'm trying to do this method with my e39 530i Sedan. So far I've installed the new amplifier (433mhz) and have already 2 new keys and transponders programmed (also 433mhz 3 button diamond-shaped). I'm just up to do the connection of the wiring from the amplifier and towards the GM3 but now I'm stuck with which wire to connect...

Anyone have any idea???

Story of my car regarding with the key...

Driver door physical key lock does not work... (in the progress of getting a new cylinder as it is different set up mechanism compared to e46)

Remote key (infrared remote-control) does not work. But the central locking from inside the car (from the central locking button of the car) works and all the door lock and unlock.

I've had enough look out on the internet with the mirror but mirror won't change anything...

Obviously have tried to reprogram the key... nothing.

Edited by Arata

On 10/17/2019 at 8:07 AM, NZ00Z3 said:

Hey you are legend! Thanks heaps! I was having nightmares trying to find the diagram everywhere...

I'll try connect the wiring on my days off next and see what happens...

I'll post up all the things I've done if it's successful... fingers crossed...