Sign in to follow this  
Toast

E36 knuckle coilover fault?

Okay so I've been installing some trick new suspension this afternoon and when i came to putting in the rear shocks i found one of the bushings pushes out by hand. My train of thought is that this is less than ideal bit in all honesty im not exactly sure. Pics show bush. Other side bush doesn't budge.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Yeah, that bush should be pressed in, no way you should be able to slide it out! Is there anything to stop the shock sliding off the mount once its in? If not, its pretty dangerous.

What brand are the shocks? Could you try and find a slightly upsized bush and get it pressed in?

The brand of shocks are "STD" :unsure: they're built really well so I was surprised by the loose bush. For the moment I've installed a large washer on the outside of the bushing to stop it coming off if it were to slide. After fitting to the car it was impossible for it to slide out because of the angle it was on, but better safe than sorry. Also when the weight of the car was on the shock nothing moves at all.

You can buy permatex "bearing mount for loose fit" designed for gluing gears on shafts etc. so if you can have it replaced that would be my reccomendation.