Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Date with M Power..

I recently went on a BMW NZ M Power Experience Day to test out the New M3 & M4 Out on the Road, On the Track, Skid Pad, Drag Strip Test and Hot Laps..

The Day was first off amazing, having the rare opportunity to not just drive these phenomenal cars, but put them through their paces.

I guess my opinion is one to speak it's own, but I shall share it anyway.
The M3 & M4.. A True machine. Luxury with a power so pure it's makes my AC Schnitzer look like a Toyota Corolla in Comparison.. I LOVED the fact they have gone back to that Inline 6, the sound was incredible, the performance was sharp, and I felt like BMW created so much power, from such a small start..

Turbos.. Mm. I can't say I am a BIG fan, but I did enjoy them when they kicked in... The power was relatively even considering what they are packing under the hood, I expected a lot more 'lag' but BMW, yet again did something right in that department.

Inside the car was another story.. I think it would take me a few weeks of dedicated time to work out half the functions in relation to just driving the darn thing, and then a few more weeks to figure out the internal components for comfort.. Caught off guard multiple times when I was continually asked by this car to confirm I wanted to remove certain features (DSC, Sports Mode etc).. I felt in reality, a car shouldn't ask ME questions..

Other than that, it was comfort to drive, seats were shaped so you felt like you were meant to be in there, the dash was modern, but simple.
Handling - I felt it was heavier to drive than most cars, I felt like I had to throw it around a few corners instead of flowing with them.. Something of course I would in no time get used too. Control is amazing, the new technology of safety is one to none.. Considering I tested these cars in the wet, I felt safe.. I felt like it welcomed me into going slightly quicker into a corner than most cars would!

And then that look, fierce, unique.. I loved the gold colour, it made you felt like you indeed were driving something worth it's weight in gold. The lines of this car are beautiful, working with it and not against it. This car is truly something to look at.

Overall, a complete beast. I felt like this car is and will be the true successor to the E46 M3, and one I will certainly consider in future purchases (given the purchase price isn't half a house!)

Cheers to BMW NZ for giving me the chance to go out there and test these beautiful cars.

Will upload a video over the next few days..

post-32854-0-39215800-1406862252.jpg

post-32854-0-90864800-1406862252.jpg

post-32854-0-84358200-1406862253.jpg

post-32854-0-34175300-1406862254.jpg

post-32854-0-86306700-1406862254.jpg

post-32854-0-37917700-1406862255.jpg

post-32854-0-93993100-1406862255.jpg

post-32854-0-39898100-1406862256.jpg

post-32854-0-93207400-1406862256.jpg

Edited by MISS BM
  • Like 2

I felt like this car is and will be the true predecessor to the E46 M3

Sounds like fun... Sorry to be pedantic though, a car built after the E46 M3 cannot be its predecessor. Perhaps you mean its true successor (presumably meaning that the E9x M3 didn't live up to the E46)?

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 3

Sounds like fun... Sorry to be pedantic though, a car built after the E46 M3 cannot be it's predecessor. Perhaps you mean its true successor (presumably meaning that the E9x M3 didn't live up to the E46)?

Woops, words wrong way around hahahaha. Edit time :P

Love the looks of the m3

Interesting that you prefer the turbo 6 sound over the v8

Love the looks of the m3

Interesting that you prefer the turbo 6 sound over the v8

I agree.. I most certainly love a good V8 sound, It's generally my favourite, but the sound of the S55 caught me off guard, it was heaven compared.

Each to their own opinions of course and I haven't seen the new cars in the flesh but all the videos I have watched the new turbo 6's sound pretty poor to be honest.

I don't want to stir up a hornets nest here (it may get stirred no matter what) but would you be able to say how you got the invite? Was it part of the standard customers invite or some form of media or other special invite? If you'd rather not say then fair enough! :) Seems like quite a few people went to this!

Each to their own opinions of course and I haven't seen the new cars in the flesh but all the videos I have watched the new turbo 6's sound pretty poor to be honest.

I don't want to stir up a hornets nest here (it may get stirred no matter what) but would you be able to say how you got the invite? Was it part of the standard customers invite or some form of media or other special invite? If you'd rather not say then fair enough! :) Seems like quite a few people went to this!

No worries, I understand the broad spectrum of people on here.

To be fair, I think it was actually Mike who sent me my first video of the New M3/M4 sound, and not sure if he remembers my reaction but I scoffed at it and laughed.

However, in real life it's an awesome sound, but what people don't tend to factor in is that it's not a V8, so don't expect it to sound like that.. None the less, I loved the sound and took back my very strong opinion of this.

I am unsure how others were able to attend this, but I was fortunate to attend this day for free on behalf of BMW Nz.

You mentioned that because of all the techo stuff in the car you had to turn things off or tell it what to do which is nice options option I suppose. Was that not a distraction from just getting in and driving the car also all the other items you might have to fiddle with?

• Like 1

Inside the car was another story.. I think it would take me a few weeks of dedicated time to work out half the functions in relation to just driving the darn thing, and then a few more weeks to figure out the internal components for comfort.. Caught off guard multiple times when I was continually asked by this car to confirm I wanted to remove certain features (DSC, Sports Mode etc).. I felt in reality, a car shouldn't ask ME questions..

I found that with the X5 and 335i i drove at boomrock

You mentioned that because of all the techo stuff in the car you had to turn things off or tell it what to do which is nice options option I suppose. Was that not a distraction from just getting in and driving the car also all the other items you might have to fiddle with?

Thats why I said it, because for me, I love to just get in and drive, but the technology made you have to sit around and sort it out and then get on with the task at hand.

But overall a fantastic car once you work it out

Thanks that was the point I was trying to make all good this fiddle stuff but to be able to get in turn the key and go without setting this and turn that. Just enjoy being behind the wheel with all the tech e stuff gone.

Edited by tim 325

It was a really good day. You sure showed the boys up on their driving "skills"! I took a few photos and this one is of you prepping for the last hot lap with Mike

post-2466-0-01915200-1407119624_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It was a really good day. You sure showed the boys up on their driving "skills"! I took a few photos and this one is of you prepping for the last hot lap with Mike

Oh wow.. Don't I look fantastic haha.

Haha Cheers for that :) Nice to see another BS member there

Wow, looks like it was an awesome day!! Great photos and write up. Looking forward to the video!

I am unsure how others were able to attend this, but I was fortunate to attend this day for free on behalf of BMW Nz.

I thought these days were usually reserved for people that regularly buy brand new BMWs - share your secret of how you got an invite! Looks like an amazing experience

I thought these days were usually reserved for people that regularly buy brand new BMWs - share your secret of how you got an invite! Looks like an amazing experience

Don't you all know I'm secretly rich and purchase brand new Bmws that only see their time on the track and never at meets..?

Kidding of course haha.

Bmw wanted people that understood the true bmw driving experience.. And so They got that :) - I'm not kidding, that's how I got it haha.

You're famous. Just saw you in a BMW ad on YouTube. Hope you signed a release! ;)

Yeah gave them permission haha :)

Despite the fact they used laughable footage of me.. But hey I had fun :P

• Like 1

What do you mean laughable?? I thought it was cool to have your sunnies on your head?? :huh:

What do you mean laughable?? I thought it was cool to have your sunnies on your head?? :huh:

Hahaha, Nobody will ever catch me without sunnies on my head.. even at night. I can't stand forgetting them when needed (yes even in Auckland weather) and being blinded by the sun ;) Glad I had them on my head as the glare when the some came out was intense!

Nah, it was more the excited twitch stuff :P Rubbing hands together so fast looks like it's sped up!