Sign in to follow this  
charles28

2002 530i Motorsport

Had that same leak issue with my 530, pretty frustrating. Replaced the gaskets twice with all new bolt grommets etc. As Allan has said, the problem is the covers, seem to either warp or crack. I gave up on mine in the end, really needed a new cover.

Problem lives on with the 540 hahaha

Edited by rusteee

Some of the performance difference is due to your prefacelift 525i really being a 523i in disguise - for some reason (and BMW let them do it) the Japs stuck with the 525i badges.

Our 525 i ( a "real", facelift one ;), the little brother of your 530i) actually goes really well, but if I could have a manual 530i, i'd be happy! The M54 is a very good engine, especially with the problem parts fixed (Vanos, DISA and vacuum leaks, Rocker cover and oil filter housing gasket, old cooling system parts replaced). They have a tonne of torque down low, and don't mind screaming either. They have a really good shaped torque curve!

523i/525i same engine - 2.5l. The Jap version was true badging

Prefacelift (pre 2002?) - M52B25 = 523i/525i

Facelift (post 2002?) - M54B25 = 525i

The M54 is a great engine (nothing wrong with M52).

Had that same leak issue with my 530, pretty frustrating. Replaced the gaskets twice with all new bolt grommets etc. As Allan has said, the problem is the covers, seem to either warp or crack. I gave up on mine in the end, really needed a new cover.

Problem lives on with the 540 hahaha

Did you buy a second hand one or go new? if so what did it cost? looks like about $400 USD incl shipping to bring on in to NZ

523i/525i same engine - 2.5l. The Jap version was true badging

The M52 2.5 is pretty restricted, the M54 525i (facelift) is quite a bit quicker.

Prefacelift (pre 2002?) - M52B25 = 523i/525i

Facelift (post 2002?) - M54B25 = 525i

The M54 is a great engine (nothing wrong with M52).

2001 models were facelift, production from 09/2000.

I ordered a brand new valve cover today.

I re-did the gasket etc last night, it still leaked in the same place again, so it has to be that its warped or cracked.

I also ordered some new Vanos Seals, might aswell do that since I have to take off the valve cover again for the 3rd time :)

Edited by Charles32

The M52 2.5 is pretty restricted, the M54 525i (facelift) is quite a bit quicker.

2001 models were facelift, production from 09/2000.

I probably should have quantified but i was meaning the M52TU 2.5 was the same engine with either badging - depending on market.

Yes the M54 is a further development on the M52TU. Both good engines

Progress very Slow.

New Valve Cover - Arrived today

Vanos Gasket and washers, arrived last week.

Vanos seals. - not arrived, but should turn up any day.

After work I thought i'd get a head start and get the job started, however the easiest part of the job (removing the fan clutch nut) is not going to plan.

I usually found I could put on the 32mm Wrench, wack it really hard with a Hammer (Mallet type) and break the nut sieze and un do it. (while being careful not to smash it into the thermostat housing).

However after about 30 attempts it still wouldn't work.

I tried to wedge things against the water pump pulley bolts to get leverage and failed and noticed that some of the 10mm nuts are actually loose.. heh.

I then gave up and ordered the correct tool on ebay which will probably take 2 weeks to turn up..

So.. next update... probably when that tool arrives..

Ohh.. I ordered some new cup holders too..in typical E39 fashion they were ruined :)

Edited by Charles32

I ordered a brand new valve cover today.

I re-did the gasket etc last night, it still leaked in the same place again, so it has to be that its warped or cracked.

This may be a silly question but you did use sealant on the required points, didn't you? If not, it's going to leak oil. Would have to be majorly warped to leak when tightened otherwise.

This may be a silly question but you did use sealant on the required points, didn't you? If not, it's going to leak oil. Would have to be majorly warped to leak when tightened otherwise.

Yeah i'm fairly certain I did that correctly, did the entire job 2x also.

The leak always seemed to be in the same place (same as original leak when I got it), its probably cracked rather then warped, despite not being able to see a crack yet.

Interestingly the gasket didn't seem that old either, but I replaced it anyway (incl spark plug ones).

I suspect the last owner tried replacing the gasket also and had no joy, as by now that old gasket should have been as hard as plastic.

I usually found I could put on the 32mm Wrench, wack it really hard with a Hammer (Mallet type) and break the nut sieze and un do it. (while being careful not to smash it into the thermostat housing).

However after about 30 attempts it still wouldn't work.

Just checking..... you remember left-hand thread... right? You're hitting towards the passenger side? right?

Left?

Just checking..... you remember left-hand thread... right? You're hitting towards the passenger side? right?

Left?

Yeah, but was waiting for someone to ask this lol.

This isn't the 1st fan clutch I've removed, did it a lot of times on my old E30's etc.

But its a fair question for sure :)

• Like 1

today I borrowed a generic tool from my mechanic to hold the water pump pulley.

It worked! so I finally have the fan clutch and shrould removed.

I then got to removing the vanos unit and found that the Torx T30 I purchased does not fit, perhaps because its a Torx Plus rather then Normal Torx. (1/4inch drive version)

I found another T30 that does fit, but its a crap one that goes on a cheap screwdriver that broke as soon as I tried to undo the bolt (Another Left hand threaded one too).

This was the T30 I had that i couldn't use

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=768985825

And now its quite clear it doesn't really look the same..

Ohwell.. Repco or somewhere tomorrow for one that fits :)

Edited by Charles32

Still waiting for Vanos seals to arrive.. seems to be taking a long time, were sent on 25/08

Have done as much work as I can now, vanos unit removed, old seals removed..

Should be a beast once its all back together. New vanos seal on my old B25 worked wonders.

I got around to checking the Valve cover for warp-age.

The picture shows the part that wasn't actually leaking as such, but you can see the gap under the ruler which should not be there..

I tried to take a picture of the other side, but not enough light and you can't see.

20140914_220706_zps0100ab77.jpg

Day 20 since I ordered the Vanos Seals from Beisan Systems.. still no sign of them..

Have just ordered more from the UK, another brand, but made from the same material as the Beisan ones..but with cheaper shipping and include new bolts and sealant for the valve cover.

So hopefully I have one or the other turn up in the next week...

I have owned the car for a Month and driven it for about 1 hour..

Beisan can suck a fat one as far as im concerned, their after sales support is pretty lackluster. The product is good as long as nothing goes wrong and the instructions are correct. Where did you order the other seals from, might be handy in the future

Its a shame its been off the road for so long, great cars to drive.

Beisan can suck a fat one as far as im concerned, their after sales support is pretty lackluster. The product is good as long as nothing goes wrong and the instructions are correct. Where did you order the other seals from, might be handy in the future

Its a shame its been off the road for so long, great cars to drive.

Hey man, it was this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221312247783?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yeah been driving partners Mk3 Golf VR6 around, its not too bad, but i prefer the refinement of the 5 Series

My vanos seals finally arrived yesterday afternoon.

When I got home from work I got into it, it took me longer then I thought it would, removing the old seals took more effort then I expected, the top one was no issue, it was the one underneath that kept giving me grief.

But eventually I got those removed, cleaned up everything (that took a while, the vanos unit had all sorts of nasty sludge etc on it).

Installing the new seals wasn't hard at all.

By 11pm the car was all put back together, but annoyingly I cracked a piece of the radiator shroud, although its only cosmetic its still annoying.

I just need check over it all and its ready to run finally.

The new valve cover seemed to fit nicely compared to the old worn out warped one, so that's a good sign.

Edited by Charles32
  • Like 2

Well.. the car started..

But within a few minutes I had coolant all over the place.

It seemed that the small hose that connects to the Expansion Tank is the issue.

Ie:

20140919_203655_zps5217813f.jpg

It can easily be pushed and pulled out of the expansion tank, I assume this metal piece showing is not meant to come out and that I need a new expansion tank.

Tomorrow i'll attempt to buy a new expansion tank from Christchurch BMW dealership.

Its the original one, so its past its use by date anyway.. the giveaway is the factory hose clamp.

Its clear to me that it can't be repaired, at least not for long..

Hi. Are you going to do radiator hoses while you are in that area? Also the oil filter seal as you've said? There is also a small o ring that fits onto a sensor by your lower right radiator hose that are prone to leak.might want to replace that too.

Hi. Are you going to do radiator hoses while you are in that area? Also the oil filter seal as you've said? There is also a small o ring that fits onto a sensor by your lower right radiator hose that are prone to leak.might want to replace that too.

I replaced the upper radiator hose, as the original was leaking a bit (did a pressure test). (Discovered this when doing oil filter housing gasket).

Was no other leaks, so left it at that for now, well until I looked at the expansion tank wrong and it broke heh.

The previous owner had replaced the radiator but nothing else it would seem.

In the near ish future I plan to replace the other radiator hose, Thermostat and Water Pump.

When I replaced the oil filter housing gasket, I noticed it had turned into a solid piece of plastic and wasn't doing its job at all.

The goal for now is to have the car driveable so I can use it for a few weeks and see what other issues come up.

I Ordered a new expansion tank from Jeff Gray, was none in stock here in Christchurch, so its coming down from AKL overnight.

I'd criticize them for having no stock in CHCH if the company I work for didn't have the same problem of not having stock in Christchurch of what you need when you need it.

So hopefully tomorrow night its a runner *Fingers Crossed*

Edited by Charles32