Sign in to follow this  
charles28

2002 530i Motorsport

Tonight I got around to installing a new cup holder.

I was expecting it to be annoying in some way, but it took 2 Minutes. (2 Screws to undo)

This was the condition of the factory one:

20140922_201727_zps11a927ca.jpg

I got a cheap one from Ebay for $35 including shipping that claims to be stronger and better made then the original.

20140922_201718_zpsee5d88d5.jpg

This was the condition of the old one once I removed it (Only 2 Screws)

20140922_205930_zps7d2e3eef.jpg

New one installed:

e6d4b349-44da-4cee-bd91-46698e09fd91_zps

Its not as dirty as the pictures suggest, the camera flash is rather unforgiving.

The car finally runs again..

Installed new expansion tank after work, added new coolant, bled system etc.

The only thing is now I have no coolant level sensor, as I assumed it came with the expansion tank.

But i'll keep an eye on things anyway.

Annoyingly my old expansion tank is already at he land fill..with the old sensor that still worked fine..

• Like 1

So, after all my hard work, the car is still leaking oil..

I noticed some drips of oil under the car in the garage, it also came up with a warning about low oil level on the way home from work.

Time to take it to the Waimak and set it on fire perhaps?

20140925_203229_zps6c094a99.jpg

To my untrained eye it looks like the Oil Pan gasket? Which is one hell of a job for me to do at home I'm assuming.

There doesn't appear to be any CCV (Oil Separator) issues, plastic bag test passed (didn't suck into oil filler at all.)

Thumb over dipstick hole, didn't try and suck my thumb in at all.. (Yes the engine was running :)

Edited by Charles32

exhaust cam position sensor o-ring? Seems to be common on M54s

exhaust cam position sensor o-ring? Seems to be common on M54s

Worth a crack! It's the easiest!

It could be running from somewhere else, rather than the sump. When did you last check the oil? You have to lose quite a bit for the warning to come on, and it would normally make a HUGE mess (unless you last checks the oil a long time ago).

Sump leaks have happened, but aren't really common on M54s.

Are you sure the "leak" isn't residual oil from the filter housing gasket replacement??? There are some casting hollows that can hold oil, and it creeps along the sump gasket joint. Also, the filter housing o-ring for the lid is a common leak.

It could also leak down the front/side of the motor from the vanos feed hose sealing washers.

when did he last check the oil Allan....? he`s just bought it. I`d like to know what the previous owner was up to.This is really annoying .....

Some more pics, hopefully its from something else.

I don't get the oil smell from the valve cover anymore, at least no where near as bad, I can't see any fresh oil leaks onto the exhaust.

The jack pad under the car is wet with oil.

I changed the oil and filter after doing the OFHG, lost a bit when I did the vanos seals, topped up with about 500ml at that time, today topping it up with another 500ml seems to have it near the full mark again.

20140925_214715_zpse41100b9.jpg

20140925_214920_zpsb30a408a.jpg

20140925_215002_zpsa623cf69.jpg

In the second to last pic, i think the black connector on the RHS by the bolt is the exhaust cam sensor, and from that pic it looks like a lot of oil residue around it? hard to tell, shame you didnt have a pic of that part of the head with the fan and shroud out.

E: oh, and you should totally go back to the seller and rip them a new one for selling such a dodgy car to you :rolleyes::P

Edited by KwS

when did he last check the oil Allan....? he`s just bought it. I`d like to know what the previous owner was up to.This is really annoying .....

[/quote

The last owner was a complete muppet, drove it around leaking power steering fluid, coolant, oil from Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Oil leaking around valve cover onto exhaust making a burning smell, all while claiming the car was in excellent condition and well serviced..

The odd thing is I never noticed the burning smell when I test drove it and he had just driven it from work to Lyttelton, and claimed he used it for work everyday.

I suspect he steam cleaned under the engine on his way home before I look at the car too, as within 2 days of owning it I could tell it had some serious oil leaks going on, I failed to check over the car carefully and it drives very well.

When i looked at the car it was almost dark, (the only time available to view) hehe I guess it was all a setup.

He's a shady car dealer and works at a big dealership in Christchurch too, owned the car for a year and claimed it was his partners car, the ownership details showed that he was correct as far as that goes.

Edited by Charles32

Suggest you completely degrease it then check again soon after to locate the source.

In the second to last pic, i think the black connector on the RHS by the bolt is the exhaust cam sensor, and from that pic it looks like a lot of oil residue around it? hard to tell, shame you didnt have a pic of that part of the head with the fan and shroud out.

E: oh, and you should totally go back to the seller and rip them a new one for selling such a dodgy car to you :rolleyes::P

Yeah there's a little bit of oil around it, not sure that there's enough that its the main issue, but for the sake of $2 its worth trying.

I guess some of it could be left over from fixing the other oil leaks too.

I'll keep a close eye on the oil level and see what else drops onto the garage floor and where from exactly.

I'm fairly certain my valve cover is no longer an issue.

As mentioned, first step is to degrease the sh*t out of it, there is so much oil residue there its almost impossible to tell which way its been travelling.

As mentioned, first step is to degrease the sh*t out of it, there is so much oil residue there its almost impossible to tell which way its been travelling.

I'll jack it up on the weekend and go hard with de-greaser and clean it up best I can.

I'm please the CCV system appears to be working, as that's an annoying job to do too.

I spilt a bit of oil when i removed the vanos bolts (Hex ones), I probably missed some of it when cleaning up.

Reading this you appear to be working your way through the list of oil leak problems keep at it. As you stated the previous owner was muffet didn't have a clue ' and you now have his mess to clean up. Any chance of some pay out from the shady shark dealer you bought the car off?

AllanW don't agree with the M54 sump thing both mine have leaked and needed to be replaced 530 and 325.

Clocked up 1000k's now since replacing valve cover, vanos seals, oil filter housing gasket etc.

During this time the car left a few small spots of oil, gave me various warnings about low oil level, but the oil level is fine, so the sensor must be on its way out, the oil levels still on full 1000k later (I did top it up after replacing vanos seals).

Gave the car a quick wash, did some small paint touch ups. recently I removed the M5 Badge and Chrome Strips around the car.

So now it looks normal again.

20141004_150105_zps4f570b4b.jpg

20141004_145900_zpsdc6ef9dd.jpg

20141004_145833_zps084e455c.jpg

One of the next things on the agenda is to fix the front bumper.

Crack on the top

20141004_224305_zps411385b7.jpg

Crack right at the bottom by the passenger side wheel arch, its not as bad as it looks on this extreme close up though. (Similar size to the other crack really).

20141004_224400_zps29fae412.jpg

I have emailed the pics to a plastic welder to find out if its repairable and the cost etc.

I will remove the bumper myself and take it there, but will probably touch up the paint myself to save money.

Oil leaks still an issue.

It seems to be leaking around this bit. (Pic from Under Passenger Side of car)

20141007_193201_zps5abe53d9.jpg

Pic from under the bonnet

20141007_194026_zps18d821d0.jpg

Further up where the oil filter housing etc is is dry and no sign of leakage any more, so at least that job was successful.

I assume that part showing in the pic is where the Oil separator and Dipstick tube etc go in to.

I suspect pipe 2 or 4, mostly likely 4 is the issue, ie http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT62&mospid=47546&btnr=11_2194&hg=11&fg=15

Interestingly the car has no suction/vacuum , as in if you take off the oil cap and put a plastic bag over it, it doesn't try to suck it in at all. (engine running)

If you take the dip stick out and put your thumb on that you can also feel no suction (Engine running of course).

This most made me think too.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/40237-oil-leak-530i-sport-cured-and-big-tip/

Edited by Charles32

Is there an o-ring on the bottom of the dip stick tube (where it goes into the part in the photo), could that have failed?

Is there an o-ring on the bottom of the dip stick tube (where it goes into the part in the photo), could that have failed?

yeah there is, in fact it most likely is that.

Am ordering a new O-Ring for the dipstick tube now, but I'll have to try and check those other hoses, they are all made of crap plastic as usual :)

Dunno on the M54 but on the M52TU there is a breather/return hose that goes from a canister under the plenum & down to a tube on the dip stick tube near the bottom. I had to replace this hose a few weeks back after it had fallen apart due to oil ingress & had been leaking - oil running down onto sump, cross member area. Not a great deal but enough to leave a mess on the garage floor

Edit - just looked - Yes hose 4 on the RealOEM diagram

Edited by hotwire

Dunno on the M54 but on the M52TU there is a breather/return hose that goes from a canister under the plenum & down to a tube on the dip stick tube near the bottom. I had to replace this hose a few weeks back after it had fallen apart due to oil ingress & had been leaking - oil running down onto sump, cross member area. Not a great deal but enough to leave a mess on the garage floor

Edit - just looked - Yes hose 4 on the RealOEM diagram

Cool, yeah its not a really bad leak, just annoying, i want to keep the garage floor clean so the missus doesn't complain :)

^^^^ Ditto to what mine was - right down to the missus complaining to me about it. I am normally in denial initially when "enlightened" to issues with our cars. Don't really want to know after working on everyone else's all week...

Changed Transmission Oil and Filter etc, Lifetime fluid was Black.. but nothing sinister as far as metal shavings etc.

Replaced Brake Fluid, who knows when that was last done.

Ordered new Oil Separator Valve and all related hoses, Thermostat, water pump.

In the next 3 weeks i'm doing a trip to Nelson and Queenstown, so am trying to get the car going 100%

The car feels a bit flat power wise, but some of that is thanks to borrowing a mates Manual V8 Holden with about 300kw

But considering the Oil Separator and hoses are covered in leaking oil, i'm driving around with a big Vacuum leak, so its probably down on power..

I imagine the CCV failed ages ago, which also caused the problem with the Valve Cover cracking (too much pressure) in a way its lucky the hoses etc are leaking, otherwise my new valve cover could be toast again..

Edited by Charles32

Replaced the Thermostat, Waterpump, CCV System (All pipes and the unit)

Waterpump bearing was shot, so glad I changed that, thermostat was leaking badly.. as was the sensor on the bottom radiator hose (replaced 0-ring).

Scanned for errors before hand.

18 EWS Signal or Camshaft Sensor (MS43)

123 Map Cooling Thermostat Control (Thermostat now replaced)

227 Mixture Deviation Bank 1

228 Mixture Deviation Bank 2

203 Lambda Regulation Bank 2 Post cat

202 Lambda Regulation Bank 1 Post Cat

244 Crankshaft Interval timing

227, 228, 203, 202 I suspect were from the CCV system being shot. (Vacuum Leaks, Valve Cover Gasket Leak etc that's been fixed).

Car is running better then it ever has now.

The CCV parts were all shot, the CCV unit itself was broken into 2 pieces.

Will drive it for a few days and re-scan and see what comes back.

Edited by Charles32

A month later and 3000k's clocked up, no error codes have come back (Replaced cam sensor, intake side).

Today I replaced the factory amp with an Alpine MRX-F35.

Its a small efficient class D amp.

20141120_182406_resized_1_zps8fc71743.jp

As you can see its not much bigger then the factory Amp and I got it to fit on the factory bracket (using Zip ties for now until i tidy up the install).

20141120_194240_resized_zps69b2f0d3.jpg

I have DLS MS5A components in the front which use these crossovers. (I'm not using any of the factory speakers).

I have a small subwoofer for 80hz and under noise.

20141120_190849_resized_zpsea2c1bca.jpg

20141120_194801_resized_zpsd78cc3ab.jpg

Finished, as far as it all working well.

I will tidy up the installation when time permits.

The difference between the stock amp and this is night and day.

Edited by Charles32
  • Like 1