Sign in to follow this  
charles28

2002 530i Motorsport

Nice. I got my aftermarket amp attached on the ceiling of the trunk, where your DVD player is in the pic. It looks so spacious in there with the single sub!

I have DLS MS5A components in the front which use these crossovers. (I'm not using any of the factory speakers).

What speakers are you running? I am thinking of upgrading the fronts with some decent two-way speakers (I have an old thread on this somewhere on the audio forum, where people have made a lot of suggestions). Edited by Arma

Nice. I got my aftermarket amp attached on the ceiling of the trunk, where your DVD player is in the pic. It looks so spacious in there with the single sub!

What speakers are you running? I am thinking of upgrading the fronts with some decent two-way speakers (I have an old thread on this somewhere on the audio forum, where people have made a lot of suggestions).

Mine are DLS, my model is end of life now, they are expensive and made in Sweden, a few years ago there was a local supplier of them, just before they closed down I got them for a cheap price.

Infinity Kappa are meant to be good, but the tweeter is too big to go in the side mirror location, but you can install it in the door panel where that small mid speaker comes installed from the factory.

Removed the Front bumper last night, as I am talking it to the panel shop to get plastic welded and painted.

20141130_132359_zps5f20243c.jpg

I was then worried that I was not going to be able to fit it in the MK3 golf to take it into town.

But.. it just fits..

20141130_132524_zps84b68dac.jpg

I'm also going to replace the lower bumper lining, along with the fog light frames.

20141130_150922_zpsfedc9066.jpg

Its the right hand side, I have ordered a replacement.

Which will look more like

82470_x800_zpsd23c1cc4.jpg

Fog Light Frames (One of mine was missing and the other looked a bit worn out) at $13 USD each it seemed silly not to get these at the same time.

193220_x800_zps6e1b1d17.jpg

193235_x800_zps9e32424a.jpg

Hi Charles,

Maybe nothing but check the part numbers for the lower wheel arch liners as their are a few different types used on the various e39 models.

Hi Charles,

Maybe nothing but check the part numbers for the lower wheel arch liners as their are a few different types used on the various e39 models.

Its all good, I used the part numbers on my parts to ensure I got the right models.

Whats shipping from ECS like?

A bit expensive really..

I ordered some new spark plugs, oil filters, air filter etc along with the bits shown (some new mounting screws etc), the shipping was $71 USD

The guard liner piece is quite an awkward size though, which probably didn't help.

Edited by Charles32

Front Bumper painted, sitting in the spray booth.

20141215_172411_zps9c01f066.jpg

Front Bumper painted, sitting in the spray booth.20141215_172411_zps9c01f066.jpg

How much it cost to get the cracks welded?

How much it cost to get the cracks welded?

Not actually sure sorry, as my method of payment was a 24 pack of Heineken.
  • Like 2

So finally got around to giving the car a wash and taking a couple of pics showing the new front bumper.

20141220_175140_zps229ff9dc.jpg

20141220_175206_zps6b147c71.jpg

20141220_175129_zps96e03ef6.jpg

Can tell that I need to line it up a bit better on the drivers side, but its not too bad.

• Like 2

So, I managed to do 2 Road Trips and daily driving for about 2 Months (5000k's approx) before it started leaking oil onto the ground.. again.. for the.. 4th time?

20150115_204302_zpsfb828828.jpg

20150115_204052_zps58de9deb.jpg

So, I managed to do 2 Road Trips and daily driving for about 2 Months (5000k's approx) before it started leaking oil onto the ground.. again.. for the.. 4th time?

20150115_204302_zpsfb828828.jpg

20150115_204052_zps58de9deb.jpg

Where's the leak coming from?

It may have been the oil filter o-ring, i changed the oil recently and I think it was from that, I removed the oil filter cap and replaced the o-ring again, as I think it might have snagged when doing up the oil filter.

So far no more drops of oil on the ground, fingers crossed :)

It may have been the oil filter o-ring, i changed the oil recently and I think it was from that, I removed the oil filter cap and replaced the o-ring again, as I think it might have snagged when doing up the oil filter.

So far no more drops of oil on the ground, fingers crossed :)

Ah, good stuff. I gotta replace the oil filter housing gasket on mine; that's been leaking for a little while.

Awesome thread, great that you are doing it all yourself. Sucks about the leaks but at least I know what there is to go wrong on mine now ;) Have done a bunch of these things and so far so good

For a while the drivers side door frame seal has been a bit crap and you could hear a little bit of wind noise, all of the other door seals seemed to be in perfect condition, however the drivers one was worn out.

Ie

20150203_190252_zpsecqgtdm1.jpg

There was about 3 parts of it like this or worse.

So I ordered a new one.

20150203_190113_zps9ovakx5z.jpg

I peeled off the old one and started installing the new one.

20150203_192046_zpsv2zuepqd.jpg

It took a bit of effort to get it to meet up correctly, at the start it seemed like it was an inch too long.

20150203_192406_zpsg7xo0iym.jpg

Final Result,.

20150203_194339_zps1b5kzg1t.jpg

I decided to take the car for a drive and get fuel, its been sitting unused for a week, it ran like crap and shook, after 30 seconds it seemed to be running better, took it to get fuel, was running fine, scanned ECU, F1 Cylinder 4 Misfire..

Probably a coil, but i'll have to swap it to another cylinder and re-test

• Like 2

Misfire? Must be the new door seals ;-) Where did you order yours from? I need to do mine as well.

Misfire? Must be the new door seals ;-) Where did you order yours from? I need to do mine as well.

From Christchurch BMW (Jeff Grays)

Its not all that cheap, but importing one isn't either due to the freight cost.

Misfire, well it hasn't done it again, did 1000ks in the last 2 days going on a road trip.

But it idles a bit rough when cold, i have a new coil coming, i'll replace the one on Cyl #4 and see if it helps.

• Like 1

So, another issue

20150531_153718_zpsoaldhyl3.jpg

It looks like the radiator is leaking, i guess between plastic end tank and the core.

Charles, where did you find the best place to order door seals from? I need some for my E36 and they are horrendously expensive.

yeah they are

Charles, where did you find the best place to order door seals from? I need some for my E36 and they are horrendously expensive.

yeah they are not cheap at all.

Ended up getting that one from The dealer, with a trade discount, but even then it wasn't cheap, but importing my own seemed like it was going to cost just as much due to shipping.

20150531_165524_zpscsybpfm0.jpg

Actually, this seems to be the source of the coolant leak here.