Sign in to follow this  
charles28

2002 530i Motorsport

Pull the radiator and check it.

The legs on the small knobby connector where you leak is can break off, and cause the leak. They have an oring in there.

The bottoms of the radiator can bow out under pressure, and if that's happening, its new radiator time. Check it quite thoroughly, because the radiators have a limited life anyway.

that little breather vent is well known for falling to bits. Mine broke when i did the vanos on my old E39. Easy to replace, the part is available from the dealer for cheap, but the prick is when it breaks off and bits fall into the radiator.

Garage Rivals...

20150705_124220%201_zpsrrerrzse.jpg

The E39 is getting some much needed attention again soon.

The Vanos oil line is leaking badly, its probably the source of the main oil leak I have, (the end that goes to oil filter housing).

So I have ordered a new one with washers.

I have also ordered a Power steering reservoir o-ring, repair nipple for the radiator, brand new radiator shroud (mines cracked in 2 places).

Sounds like your car leaks more oil than it uses it in petrol haha. I've just picked up a 530 motorsport as well.

Sounds like your car leaks more oil than it uses it in petrol haha. I've just picked up a 530 motorsport as well.

Did you buy that red one?

Changed the battery today too, the original battery was still in the car (Bmw stickers and Japanese writing), it got to the point where it wasn't storing much power anymore.

Yea i got that one. Needs a little work but for the price i paid, worth it.

Today I replaced the Vanos oil hose and washers.

Also the vent nipple on the radiator.

Both jobs were straight forward and total time about 30 mins, but the vanos hose previously wasn't done up tight and had a missing washer (Oil filter housing end of it).

However, it was leaking around the part where the metal piece is crimped onto the hose anyway.

I torqued the banjo bolt to 32nm (as per spec) with new washers.

At the top I had to use a spanner as theres not enough room to use anything else, so had to guess the torque. (Have had this end removed before when I did the vanos seals).

I'm yet to see if either repair was effective, as I am having trouble getting the new radiator shroud to fit (My one was cracked in 2 places).

If I get the tabs at the bottom line up and sit correctly in the radiator the top doesn't line up, if I get the top to line up the tabs at the bottom are not sitting in place at the bottom of the radiator.

I need to pull it all out again and try again.

The Radiator shroud has the correct part number and for the most part fits, its just being annoying.

I have removed and installed the old one several times.

The radiator appears to not be original, it has no branding on it at all and doesn't look very old.

The fan clutch is a BEHR which is an OE brand, but not sure if these are branded BMW or not when original.

Edited by Charles32

So after checking carefully the issue is the new fan shroud, its warped.

I've made it fit in without the other stuff so far, so might leave it a while, so that it hopefully retains the shape.

--- 2 Hours later ---

Yeah its all back together now, but annoyingly the car had crept back a bit when on the jack stand and scrapped the back bumper against the garage door a bit.. aghh..

Edited by Charles32

Today I replaced the front 5.25inch speakers (I had DLS ones) and factory enclosures with a wooden adapter to allow for 6.5inch speakers and obviously some new speakers were installed.

I installed some foam around them to stop any rattles, the end result was a massive improvement.

20150822_135815_zpswbkbu9fk.jpg

what's the gen on the Morels, Charles? Straightforward replacement with factory head unit? Time I was looking for something suitable for my e46, standard japanese aftermarket need not apply!

what's the gen on the Morels, Charles? Straightforward replacement with factory head unit? Time I was looking for something suitable for my e46, standard japanese aftermarket need not apply!

These are from their cheaper range, however they review quite well. (Morel Maximo 6)

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofer-speaker-reviews/528899-morel-maximo-6-review.html however the reviewer got them rather cheap.

The next model up is the Morel Tempo.

My E39 still has its stock audio system, however the factory amp I replaced with an Alpine MRX-F35 (Previously an Infinity i7540 for a while, but had someissues). I use a Parrot BT system. which is the same as http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/other-accessories/auction-935238571.htm so that I can play via BT and USB etc.

It appears there's loads of Speaker adapters on ebay for the E46 to take the 6.5inch speakers.

Not much news.

I Thought I had fixed the oil leak once and for all, cleaned all under the car, could see it was still leaking around the sump gasket, however checked all the bolts.. 3 of them were loose.. tightened.. ran car for hours, no sign of anymore leaking, did a 1000k road trip, still no sign of leaking, drive to work and back twice, oil leak is back.

Have not bothered to recheck why its leaking yet.

Another issue I need to resolve is the climate control.

I can have my heater set on cold for both driver and passenger sides and intermittently I get hot air coming out of the drivers side vents. (happens about 3/5 times when I use the car now).

It doesn't do it every time, if I have the A/C on the air is cold out of all the vents, however I usually just have it turned off with just the fan running bringing cooler air in from outside.

I thought heater valve, but not sure if i'd have this exact issue.

Today I gave the car a good wash and cleaned the wheels too.

20151010_162536_zps8l6nuiar.jpg

Drained the cooling system yesterday, removed heater valve, disassembled, however all the seals looked good and there was hardly any sign of wear at all, which is just as well, the ebay repair kit I got wasn't the right one for my car.

Re-assembled, topped up coolant, bled system, took the car for a big drive today, the fault has not re-occurred so far.

I suspect it had an airlock in it, as that can cause issues with the heater valve apparently..

20151026_125318_zpshglqdhfk.jpg

• Like 1