Sign in to follow this  
roo

540i Pricing - E34 v E39

Has anyone else been keeping tabs on E34 and E39 540i pricing lately? It seems a good condition, well optioned NZ new E34 540i is listed on TM for more than a non motorsport E39. Are these E34's listed for over $6k selling or just sitting on there for ages?

The same thing is happening with E36 v E46. Is it just because the E39/46's are still depreciating whereas the E34/36 have already hit the bottom and now coming up slightly as enthusiasts want them? And as nice ones are becoming hard to find?

What is a good condition, well optioned, motorsport and NZ new E34 540i worth these days?

'96 E34 540i 150kms w/ leather etc $5,200 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-757008261.htm

'98 E39 540i 160kms w/ leather etc $4,500 http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-763808252.htm

Almost certainly to do with supply and demand... There are bajillions of E46s and almost as many E39s around but unmolested E36s and E34s are getting hard to find... Hence the price - for a decent one - is going up (EDIT: or at least not going down).

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

While there are more E39's and E46's there isn't exactly a shortage of E34/36's though. It's interesting!

Did you have any trouble selling the 540i Jules? (Or do you still have it?)

• E34 wins on maintenance costs. Biggest determinant of these cars value imo.
  • e34 is NZ new
  • That e39 is the start of the model run. The e34 is towards the end.
  • e34 is better looking
  • That e39 has faults. No air con, odd wheels and a munted front end.

I'd take a good late model e34 over a sh*t early e39 all day.

• Like 1

Been like that for awhile now and the gap is slowly growing with good E34's slowly going up in value.

I bought a E39 540i for a daily driver for less than 4k, good value for money cars if you can handle the fuel economy.

That E39 is overpriced for condition but its not start of model run being 1998. No reason you cant get a tidy std E39 540i for around 4k, lots to choose from. The 4.4L pulls alot better than 4.0L too but not as robust.

Nail/head with e34's having bottomed out already. If you have a good one hold onto it because you won't be losing any cash you sink into it maintaining it.

As the time goes on and these and e30's, e32's, e28's, e26's become more scarce in Europe, ours will get siphoned off and head back there in containers.

Same happened with pre fat-chick VW beetles and split kombi's. With those particular vehicles practically overnight we had a reasonable supply in NZ and all of a sudden they were rocking horse sh1t commanding $8K+ for a basketcase. I see similarities because the BMW models mentioned above are one of those iconic German auto's. They have a 'look' of an era of times past. the 36's and 39's are the next generation and have a while to go before seeing any fluster of activity. I mean if you want a tidy e36 or e39 you can just go grab one, it's not hard to find a nice tidy one, you'll have the choice of 20 any day of the week if you've cash in hand. Not so easy with e34's.

If anything those little e30 coupes should be raising eyebrows. If you want one for a good price right now is the time to throw 4K at someone selling a clean honest one, because 5-6 years down the track you'll be paying double that, minimum, for a hack. I don't see those e28's hovering around much longer either.

• Like 1

Hard to find tidy e36s but also hard to find tidy e46s. Unless paying a crazy price.

Same story for all cars really.

E34s are great cars but hold out for a good one.

Same story with e39 but i would personallh stay away from 95% them that are on the market.

Hard to find tidy e36s but also hard to find tidy e46s. Unless paying a crazy price.

Same story with e39 but i would personallh stay away from 95% them that are on the market.

Have sunk a small fortune in to my e39, and that's with doing the bulk of the work myself. And it still needs lots of cosmetic work.

Keep having thoughts about another V8 E34, but that could very well spell divorce hah.

You gotta have the knowledge and the time to check them out. For me its all about finding a well priced tidy one, fixing a few little things myself and then i've got a good car.

yep thats precisely what i mean. the time and patience as well as knowledge to find that diamond in the rough!

they truely are hidden gems but they certainly arent scattered everywhere!

dammit i really want another e36/46/34/39 soon...

Almost certainly to do with supply and demand... There are bajillions of E46s and almost as many E39s around but unmolested E36s and E34s are getting hard to find... Hence the price - for a decent one - is going up (EDIT: or at least not going down).

An E36 will never be a classic, sorry

A stock E36 M3 Evo will be and I think well kept E36 verts ought to be (though like you, I'm not a huge fan of the coupe and four door shape) but getting hard to find any that haven't been horribly butchered by people with caps.

• Like 1

An E36 will never be a classic, sorry

E34 has a looonng way to go to. If ever...

• Like 1

"E34 has a looonng way to go to. If ever..."

...cut that out

Edited by michhod

A stock E36 M3 Evo will be and I think well kept E36 verts ought to be (though like you, I'm not a huge fan of the coupe and four door shape) but getting hard to find any that haven't been horribly butchered by people with caps.

Sorry Jules but no e36 m3 will ever be a classic

Simply...neither the looks or performance or production numbers meet any serious criteria for a classic

Sorry Jules but no e36 m3 will ever be a classic

Simply...neither the looks or performance or production numbers meet any serious criteria for a classic

Then why does anyone consider the E34 to be a classic? :mellow:

Certain models in the future i think will be. It is the last BMW build that had the classic BMW styling with good build quality and lower production numbers.

Then why does anyone consider the E34 to be a classic? :mellow:

dude get a grip

the only classic e34 is the m5

the rest are just old tanks

• Like 2

the e34 along with the 30 e32 all have that classic twin light, chrome grill look that makes 'em recognisable to most, as a true BMW.

January next year my e34 becomes officially a classic i.e. can be registered, insured, and join the classic car club... as a classic. Classic!

• Like 1

The e34 probably has a bit of leeway seeing it's a 'one shape only' car too. It's not like there's a coupe in there to mix up any sport variation. Like an XR, XW, XY falcon kind of thing. I can see the e36 coupes being a sought after classic in time. That boxey looking shape is growing on me.

stereotypical much? I know of plenty of " normal " people that don't know what they are doing to cars. I see it every day.