Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e34 525tds touring

i need to convert my V12 to Diesel it seems

I did a quick calculation a while back for my E60 530D vs an E60 530i.

Around town the diesel was only slightly cheaper. Maybe a 10c per KM cheaper. Open highway and long haul was much much better around half the cost to run a diesel.

I looked at other benefits though. Such as towing capacity.

If you want to compare two cars have a look at the Fuely website and find the average L/KM for the two vehicles. Tons of much more realistic data on there.

The spread sheet makes the usual basic flaw of just comparing a fuel use of 10l / 100 k and looking at cost for distance travelled. This does NOT give the true picture.

It also uses the false assumption of more regular services for the diesel

The figures in the spreadsheet can be changed - both for economy and fuel cost.

The biggest issue to consider or be aware of, without going into calculations, is that more km per litre is fine, but for a diesel there's also an increase in RUC cost per litre. An extra km per litre costs another $0.058. Nearly 6c.

Modern petrol-engined cars can be significantly more economical than their predecessors, potentially making them competitive in terms of fuel economy. However, modern economical petrol-engined cars will cost significantly more to buy, and suffer far greater depreciation than an older at least as economical, diesel. They may also be more expensive in terms of maintenance and/or parts.

Obviously an older high mileage car will have incurred more wear and hence a likelihood of running cost expense.

Swings and roundabouts.

Just went to get ahold of them and listing has been withdrew

Just went to get ahold of them and listing has been withdrew

Aww... There was a question on the listing offering $1750. It could be that the asker turned up with cash in his/her pocket.

Yea most likely. Bastards!!!

How very dare they?!

No worries. Thanks so much for offering to take a look.

There will be another time, gjm. in good time.

:)

Something like this, or a Mercedes 300TD. I'm quite patient, really.

I've seen it around before, it's got a fairly rough body, noisy as f**k diesel... and I know for a fact that it drives around... must just risk it with no reg/wof.

Probably worth it at 1700 bucks, but no leather ect I couldn't be f**ked owning another Touring without at least leather.

plus other diesel benefits,range and torque.Not sure a 525tds has in the way of torque but i bet it has a big tank

plus other diesel benefits,range and torque.Not sure a 525tds has in the way of torque but i bet it has a big tank

The newer cars (like our E46) have it beaten for power and torque, but that's the benefit of 10 years' development including hybrid turbos and more advanced ECUs.

The E34 525tds has an 80 litre tank, the E46 holds 64 litres.

My e36 325tds would tow a 16ft fibreglass boat form auckland - dargaville for $17 overtaking cars up the hills, noisy tractor but super reliable. mileage is over 300,000km now, 8 years of ownership all that has been done is oil changes and had to have some seals replaced on the injector pump (cost me $300 to get re calibrated). replaced glow plugs ($90), a new lift pump ($45). Always buy parts from Landrover using p38 parts they are ALOT cheaper than up the road from BMW ( i think it was a $30 difference in oil filters). Really miss it, now she needs a new bonnet and rear end after being smashed up the bum. Lucky i had a trailer on the back which folded in half and took the brunt of the impact.

Would I recommend an m51 powered bmw... yes... not a modern diesel but super reliable and plenty enough torque to haul things up the hills. E34 probably better for towing as the boat had a tendency to throw the e36 around a little bit,

As for the Diesel/Petrol running costs debate....

My replacement for the E36 was a petrol, 2 weeks into using the petrol I urgently set off to find another diesel. the cringe at pouring $200 of petrol in the tank a week was hurting.. I was used to $60 a week in diesel and could go anywhere i wanted and not have to think about the needle moving. The petrol was hrmmm do i really need to go???

Missed out on an E39 525td and ended up buying an Audi allroad diesel... had this e34 been for sale a year ago it would have been in my driveway in a heart beat.

Having done 60,000km in the past year......... the only logical choice is a diesel.. RUC are still far cheaper than running a petrol, even in a diesel that is not the most economical and coupled with a driver who drives in an even more uneconomical way hauling 2 tonne trailers back and forward from auckland-kaitaia almost weekly. I I have to completely agree with all that 3pedals said earlier..

You can laugh all you want at how loud my tractor is, and how it smokes at startup in the cold, and that I have to buy RUC, and how my rego is more expensive..... hook 2 tonne on the back of what ever you have and lets go for a weekend away.... try to keep up over the Brynderwyns and the Maungamuka's and lets see whos laughing when we fill up in Kaitaia (if you manage to make it on a single tank)..

Sure is the later diesels that really cut the mustard - any thing post 2000 is worth looking at , the earlier diesels not so advanced.

Some would say the simpler one is more desirable

The E34 525tds has an 80 litre tank,

Even a petrol one has an 80L tank.. I bet the 525tds is day and night better than a 525i however.. Perhaps a 540i would be better in realistic terms...

Nobody is going to do extremely big k's in an Old E34 these days.

Michael doesn't get it.

The 540 needs an 80 litre tank to get to the next petrol station when towing or well laden because it's got a drinking problem , so does the 525 because but because its so gutless and being flogged to even do the speed limit with a load on.

The diesel Doesn't (need the big tank or struggle with a load)

If you are neither towing or carting then the E39 528/530 is the best all round 5 series

I think its more to do with the presence or absence of torque converter a LOT more than whether its a petrol or diesel. The difference would be very marginal other wise.

We all know a manual gets far better milage than autos when it comes to ANY old car let alone these.

i beleive the tds will do 7-8 litres per 100 k on the open road

143 PS / 141 bhp / 105 kW@ 4800 rpm 260 Nm / 192 ft.lb / 26.5kgm @ 2200 rp
m

m

Combined is quoted as 37mpg (in the UK) = 7.63 litres per 100km.

Combined is quoted as 37mpg (in the UK) = 7.63 litres per 100km.

40 mpg old money on the open road I reckon

For someone like me who doesn't do huge km or tow much nothing beats the 540i, everything else feels slow. Never been impressed by the M54 motor, sure they get better fuel milage but are more complex and the power output is barely more than ancient 3.5L M30. Not to mention getting E39's in manual isn't easy so i can handle having an auto if its a V8.

It''s quite simple isn't it eagle. V8 is the only valid factor in the equation, therefore the answer will always be V8. Others have their place, but V8 is V8.

For my driving situation it is a good choice. If i was in different situation then it could be the worse choice. I am used to cars with decent low down torque so wouldn't own anything that has none.

7-8 litre is pushing it. I used to get about 900+km out of a tank per week (80l tank). 180km commuting per day mainly on the Autobahn going at an average of 130km/h (otherwise becomes uneconomical). That was in a sedan. Love the sound. Not as good as the M21 though an also no pre-glow ritual :(.

m