Sign in to follow this  
Cab

e39 520i coolant leaking

Hi guys,

Just a quick question before I have a proper look to see whats going on in daylight.

I have a 2000 bmw e39 520i and is leaking ALL of its coolant, AFTER driving. It doesnt over heat and it isnt leaking into the engine, it's leaking straight on to the ground.

With this small amount of info does anybody have any suggestions as to what it could be? My original thought was a loose hose but it was dark when I discovered the problem and havent looked in light yet.

I just find it odd that it only leaks it out when the car is off (something to do with compression?)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

coolant temp sensor?

It doesnt over heat

Don't rely on the gauge to warn you of overheating - the gauge will read normal until at least 115C. Temps of 120C or higher will trigger the gauge to move. See here: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47848-e39-obc-secret-menu-ktmp-coolant-temperature/#entry517475

The leaking component may change shape a bit as it cools, causing the crack to open more at a particular temperaure - it probably leaks a little bit while hot, but may not be noticeable. I wouldn't be using it as it is. Enegine temperatures often spike AFTER they're switched off too - some VW stuff has a fan that comes on after they're shut down, to keep the coolant temp down.

The bottom of the radiators can bow down on these, eventually causing leaks, but the majority of the cooling system is made of chocolate anyway - sounds like it might be overhaul time - the plastic doesn't last forever.

Thanks Allan. Ok, i'll get someone to have a gander and if its a major i'll sell it as a parts car. I traded it in at work on a brand new Mazda 3 for $500. It's a 2000 520i done 114,000km in silver and bloody straight to be honest!

Any offers? I don't even want it so by all means try me..

Tyres brand new

Apart from this leak issue it actually drives really well!

Body very straight

One NZ owner for 9 years

2ryga6s.jpg

Edited by Cab

On 8/11/2014 at 3:20 PM, Cab said:

Thanks Allan. Ok, i'll get someone to have a gander and if its a major i'll sell it as a parts car. I traded it in at work on a brand new Mazda 3 for $500. It's a 2000 520i done 114,000km in silver and bloody straight to be honest!

Any offers? I don't even want it so by all means try me..

Tyres brand new

Apart from this leak issue it actually drives really well!

Body very straight

One NZ owner for 9 years

Edited by Jo Blogs

Any offers? I don't even want it so by all means try

tempting... Mrs would KILL me though...