Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Friseur Auto

have some 225/50-16" tyres Dunlop semi slicks , 5 of them

i have the BBS 16s off the 328i with windyfire tyres. hmmmmm

mmmm, windyfires. I guess they'd be good for the skidpan. Ooops, wrong forum! #; )

• Like 2

I have some spare harnesses I can donate if you want them, think they are expired but I think for track car they're ok

• Like 2

LOVE this little thing! Bet it goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

so during the week finished getting the car ready for the track.

As per my list in my last post, made a door car from some 4mm particle board lying around, will take it back off at some stage and paint it red so its not so garish.

Moved seat more towards middle of the car, also added some washers between the bolt/nut and the seat to make the anchor a bit bigger.

And fitted a set of Toyo R888s as recommended by everyone here, found two auctions with some good sizes, so running staggered setup, 205 on the front and 225 on the back.

Havent got round to putting the M50 manifold on yet. one day...

Some of you will know i took it on its first real play date today to iron out some bugs, and try to get some return on my investment in the car!

Up at sparrows fart and off to Manfeild for a Playday on Track.

Signed up for the slow group. New Car, and never driven at Manfeild before, im not about to get big headed about it.

After very first session driving pretty sedately and learning how the car moved etc i was about the upper side of middle.

The lower side included a 1200cc (if that) Nissan March and one of the Diahatsu things off mighty car mods, the competition wasnt exactly tough, but awesome to see those guys out there having a go!!

Second session started to put the hammer down some more, and by the third i was driving it hard like anyone would.

Forth session, noticed a wee bit of fuel surge, by this time i had chewed through about 2/3rds of a tank. Instantly recognised the feel and backed off, kept driving it though, just full hammer down on anything that wasnt a right hand corner! Pulled in, and drove to the servo nearby, those that havent been there Gull are pretty well on site which is usefull, like at Hampton. Will need to research on how to set up a surge tank system, or look at my options here, as running out of fuel isnt a good look.

Fifth and Six sessions i decided to drive it hell for leather and try and sort of try and over cook it a bit so i could learn where the limit was.

I couldnt find it.

The car has more grip and handling than is required.

Not to say i told you so to anyone, but an LSD is not required for this car. the whole time not even one hint of wheel spin under power. admittedley, the R888s were well heated by the time i was driving the car hard, but yeh. The suspension setup is nothing flash. Jamex sedan/coupe springs all round, rebuilt Bilstein shocks in the front, and OEM rear shocks (Billys in the back were far too hard in my road testing)

At this point, should have moved up to the medium grade, but various other vehciles in that grade were dead or sick by this point, the medium seemed to virtually dry up, so was only slow and fast and exotics. no way near comparible to the fast ones.

Was told by various people through out the day that it was a very quick car from what they were seeing, and one guy at the end said i was by far the quickest in the group. The top end of this group was an E55 AMG (pulled off early in the day) and some various Australian and American Muscle, which were quicker in first half of straights, but the little ol' compact can hold a lot more speed in the corners, and brake much much later.

Throughout the day, the brakes were reliable, but could and should be better. Was braking at the 120m mark for most corners, any more and i messed up the corner and/or the ABS would let me know its there. and the corners after the two straights more like the 150m mark or maybe a bit more. I dont think the rear brakes are doing much. they are the original compact ones, and like the body, have been sitting for 5 years or so, so not working correctly. still some rust marks on the rear disks where the pads are not contacting the disk, all after a day of beating on them. So will have them rebuilt, and will fit a set of race brakenpads front and back, not sure where to buy them from. Need Compact rear, may be same as E30?? and 328i front. will see how they go, can always look at spending a bit of dough on the brakes to get them right.

This initial testing phase and improvements here must also come under my budget, i still have a fair amount of room to play before i hit the $2k mark which as above promised i must not go over

So

Things for the to do list now:

• M50 Manifold swap still
  • Surge Tank or similar system for fuel.
  • Improve brake performace.

All three before Pukekohe in 2 weeks time

If anyone is keen for the Pukekohe open day on the 5th Feburary there is a group of us going, mostly E36 some E30s some other stuff.

• Like 5

Oh also, briefly touched on my not needing an LSD above, doesnt spin inside wheels at all because of the sticky 225 R888 tyres...

But i didnt comment on the ratio.

Max speed i achieved today was 175 with a good exit from the last corner onto the long straight before having the brake at the 150m mark.

Consistently achieving 160-170km/h before having the brake.

No idea how long that straight is compared to other tracks, but there you go.

and the gear ratios are pretty well perfect. used 3 4 and 5 all day, just getting to the top of 5 at those speeds, however engine is red lining at 5500rpm not 6500rpm as it should be??? but its right on peak power at that point

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

No such thing as more grip than you need. If the tyres aren't on the verge of letting go, enter the corner faster.

• Like 4

how old is the fuel pump , just fitting a newer low km one might be all you need

Milan had the same issue with his 220k's 330ci , I gave him a 100k pump and no issues now

how old is the fuel pump , just fitting a newer low km one might be all you need

Milan had the same issue with his 220k's 330ci , I gave him a 100k pump and no issues now

130,000 from my 328 parts car. pumps very strong, but only does it on hard right handers (all the fuel goes to the left) and when the tank has less than 1/3rd in it. as soon as i filled it back up before the next session, problem gone again.

• Like 1

130,000 from my 328 parts car. pumps very strong, but only does it on hard right handers (all the fuel goes to the left) and when the tank has less than 1/3rd in it. as soon as i filled it back up before the next session, problem gone again.

yea having similar issue in my e28 now . and had 2 new pumps fitted a few years back , intank and and under floor one

Andy - it won't be the pump. Some, not all of the series E30's suffer this on R/H corners once the fuel gets down to 1/2 - 2/3's of a tank.

No ryme nor reason as to which car does/doesn't suffer this.

It almost seems like a cavitation issue - I have beaten down a slight depression in the tank at the bottom of the swirl pot - improved the issue somewhat.

Pressure & flow is perfect.

I need to run a full tank to make weight so it has been a problem in races. That said, it is on practice days - as was last Friday week at Taupo.

No wheel spin - you aint driving it hard enough ;)

• Like 1

Andy - it won't be the pump. Some, not all of the series E30's suffer this on R/H corners once the fuel gets down to 1/2 - 2/3's of a tank.

No ryme nor reason as to which car does/doesn't suffer this.

It almost seems like a cavitation issue - I have beaten down a slight depression in the tank at the bottom of the swirl pot - improved the issue somewhat.

Pressure & flow is perfect.

I need to run a full tank to make weight so it has been a problem in races. That said, it is on practice days - as was last Friday week at Taupo.

No wheel spin - you aint driving it hard enough ;)

Done a bit of research on it now and seems to be no easy solution to the problem other than keeping the tank full.

Have been advise modification inside the tank will need to be inspected if i do anything competitive.

Cant find any off the shelf solution to the issue, a piece to replace the factory cradle with revised design with some sort of bucket would be all thats needed? its by no means my area of specialty tho

and i was driving it hard alright, will be better with some better brakes and i can put it in harder with more confidence i can slow the car if needed!

and i was driving it hard alright, will be better with some better brakes and i can put it in harder with more confidence i can slow the car if needed!

What lap time were you doing?

What lap time were you doing?

no idea

but wouldnt have been anything special. I have never driven at Manfeild, never used this car, and never used a manual box on a track before.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

no idea

but wouldnt have been anything special. I have never driven at Manfeild, never used this car, and never used a manual box on a track before.

Definitely go for the intermarque sprints this year. Follow some similar cars, learn some lines. I had an old dig passenger in my car first time out and teach me basic lines etc, was awesome.

• Like 2

so have done two more track days in this car now, all at Manfeild.

James i was doing roughly 1.28s around there and quite consistently. something to bear in mind i am using 8 year old semi slicks and street brakes. to put it in comparison, my uncle was putting in 1.25s in his Porsche 930 bog standard but on same Semis.

Have since picked up some M3 front brakes and M3 front suspension is on its way,

So will have the following available if anyone is looking to build an E36

- 328 brake kit, much bigger than standard compact, biggest OEM brakes before going to M3 stuff. would be good with race pads, or even something more sporting than the cheapest i could find.

- brand new E36 non-M arms

- Bilstein sport shocks for non-M

- Jamex springs

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 2

Out with the old.....

CC8B0AEC-55CA-4800-A1D8-894D7D588974_zps

59D4CE90-05BA-4145-AB0B-5B256308E86E_zps

• Like 4

Amazing what you can get done on bacon, eggs and a woody. :)

• Like 2

Front done,

M3 Evo arms hubs and brakes, Pagid RS race brake pads, ECS Tuning Braided lines, offset Powerflex CABs, Powerflex sway bar bushings, Yellowspeed coilovers

3D31203F-0658-4629-B8E7-6070DC9931FE_zps

D4B8177D-0655-497F-8828-74959DF9BCF7_zps

and the back, including bushing removal for those that didn't see it on Euro Car Club page

Ferodo race brake pads, ECS Tuning Braided lines, eccentric/adjustable Powerflex bushings and Powerflex subframe bushings, Powerflex sway bar bushings, Yellowspeed coilovers

95D5562C-85FE-4230-87AA-A8085B569577_zps

C7EACED8-C256-4384-BE8B-7467FC8CDB00_zps

Subframe is bolted back in, driveshaft and exhaust to go back in tonight and can go back on the ground :)

• Like 9