Sign in to follow this  
Kepes

Head gasket - maybe?

One thing which I noticed was that when I was in traffic/at lights the coolant temp gauge would rise to around 12 position and even a little past that. On the motorway it sat between 1/4 mark and 1/2 mark.

Possibly the fan clutch BUT I think it could possibly be air in the cooling system as I was in a bit of a rush to get home and didn't put a lot of time into bleeding the system. Haven't done any tests for the fan clutch yet. Will try bleeding the system first.

The system will be well bled of air after a drive that long, they are a self bleeding system over time. check your expansion tank is still full, obviously while engine is stone cold. If its still getting warm on idle, yes most likely fan clutch. For comparison my E30 325i stays just under half way in all driving conditions, whether normal driving, traffic, or stretching its legs. entire cooling system is 100% new except heater core and radiator.

The system will be well bled of air after a drive that long, they are a self bleeding system over time. check your expansion tank is still full, obviously while engine is stone cold. If its still getting warm on idle, yes most likely fan clutch. For comparison my E30 325i stays just under half way in all driving conditions, whether normal driving, traffic, or stretching its legs. entire cooling system is 100% new except heater core and radiator.

Sweet, thanks Andy. I'll get a new fan clutch

sorry might have missed it in a previous post, did you fit new timing belt and water pump at the same time?

sorry might have missed it in a previous post, did you fit new timing belt and water pump at the same time?

Yeah all new, might as well do the fan clutch too

Edit: anybody doing an order from USA which i can sneak into? ;-)

Edited by Kepes

Went back out to levin today. Check coolant light came on while I was driving back.
Very unexpected!! gave me a bit of a scare. Got an even bigger scare when I pulled over. First I could hear the sound of liquid hitting the pavement and sure enough when I looked under the car there was coolant pouring out.
Fortunately it was just a split coolant hose.. Bought some duct tape, did some diy magic, filled with more coolant. Just as I was coming up my driveway the coolant light came back on. Perfect timing!!

Car still runs like a champ, I'm so pleased with the results after doing the head gasket. Again, thanks everyone for all the help and whatnot

Just a "split coolant hose" isn't anything to shrug off. You were indeed fortunate.

I frequently go to overheat call outs where a hose has split, & often with fatal consequences, some get out of jail if they have been observant.

This usually on Jap vehicles where there no low coolant warning systems.

Euro cars - most, have been equipped with such for years.

Depending on which hose, & how it splits, the coolant can be lost VERY quickly, i had this happen on my race car & by the time I noticed the light, it was almost empty. This hose had looked to be in good condition, yet gave way big time.

I suggest you carefully check ALL coolant hoses, if in doubt - replace!

• Like 1

Just a "split coolant hose" isn't anything to shrug off. You were indeed fortunate.

I frequently go to overheat call outs where a hose has split, & often with fatal consequences, some get out of jail if they have been observant.

This usually on Jap vehicles where there no low coolant warning systems.

Euro cars - most, have been equipped with such for years.

Depending on which hose, & how it splits, the coolant can be lost VERY quickly, i had this happen on my race car & by the time I noticed the light, it was almost empty. This hose had looked to be in good condition, yet gave way big time.

I suggest you carefully check ALL coolant hoses, if in doubt - replace!

You're right, I knew I had to pull over right away and fortunately I was in an area where I could do so safely/easily. It was the hose which goes from the waterpump to the thermostat, so yeah I lost coolant pretty quick. Thank god for the check lights!!! they're brilliant. I'd say without them I would have overheated this car by now :ph34r:

Will have a good look tomorrow, and definitely replace ones which need it, if not all of them.

Yep, no idea why the Japs don't think to put oil/coolant check lights in - they are a saviour. The gauge is as good as useless in this situation (unless you catch it on its mommontary rise before dropping off)

Ironically the same hose I had blow, it caught me out big time as it had only been off a couple of weeks before & I judged it as good condition - looked/felt perfect, it was infact rotton as it proved. Bear in mind most of these hoses are 20+ yrs old now.

Have just replaced every coolant hose with new.

• Like 2

that hose is also quite common to make contact with the fan blades as well,

recently read from 1989 onwards a clip is fitted to hold the hose back, and a lot of dealers also retrofitted to earlier cars as well. Having said that, clip has usually disappeared by now again. I thought it was all M20 but there you go

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

New hoses and check rest of cooling system,then put in the proper coolant at the proper ratio,nothing more distracting,detracting than a marginal cooling system

recently read from 1989 onwards a clip is fitted to hold the hose back, and a lot of dealers also retrofitted to earlier cars as well. Having said that, clip has usually disappeared by now again. I thought it was all M20 but there you go

Sounds about right, the hose sits just a couple of cm from the fan. However it does have the clips you speak of.

Just inspected all of the hoses. Some still looked fine, a couple had a dry/cracked appearance on them so purchased new from FCP Euro. Never used them before but their prices were the best (particularly for shipping). Hopefully will be smooth sailing from now on!!!

Andy, yes the one speak of is on the Motronic engine & yes does have a retaining clip as it does sit very close to the fan. Mine, although facelift Motronic originally, for Race series rules on pistons, I have converted the engine to L jet, & so as having no distributor on the front of the cam now, I had fitted the Ljet hose which takes a direct path down the front of the engine rather than the Motronic that wound its way around the distributor. This Ljet hose was the one that burst.

Sounds about right, the hose sits just a couple of cm from the fan. However it does have the clips you speak of.

Just inspected all of the hoses. Some still looked fine, a couple had a dry/cracked appearance on them so purchased new from FCP Euro. Never used them before but their prices were the best (particularly for shipping). Hopefully will be smooth sailing from now on!!!

Are you replacing the complete hose set - main, heater, bypass? There are 7 hoses from memory

Are you replacing the complete hose set - main, heater, bypass? There are 7 hoses from memory

I know I really should be, but no. You mentioned before that a hose u judged as being fine burst, so visual inspection probably isn't enough and hoses that are 27 years old should really be replaced now. I'm replacing 3 hoses which looked in bad condition. The other 4 can be done some other time. :ph34r: Doing the head gasket and all that set me back quite a bit! Can't wait until I'm finished studying and have good funds :-) For now I have the check coolant light, which should keep my out of too much trouble.