Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Annonoymous letter with no letter head? 0800250850

Hi guys,

Just got a plain letter with no letter head with a phone number and reference number asking me to call them for an "urgent matter" and the above 0800 number. Anyone ever got one of these?

I called them and they claim it's BayCorp. It just seems seedy to me. If they are genuine, could have send something with a letterhead and make it official.

Or could this be a scam?

Scam.

Baycorp is 0800baycorp

At worst ring the real baycorp and ask them if you are wanted. They will be the most interested with stopping scammers using their name.

Its so sad that even scammers just dont put the effort in these days.....

I would be very doubtful its real without a letterhead & would be forwarding it onto the Police or BayCorp.

It does a very professional sounding call centre, seems to based overseas judging by a slight lag. Why would they bother to send a postal letter for a "call me back" scam? Seems like an expensive exercise.

The letter should have had a return P.O box on it. Google that and you'll have an answer if it's a NZ sent letter.

We got one recently asking if we knew the whereabouts of "FULL MIDDLE NAME" and if so, call the number, ask for Alex

and there was a reference number.

Wasn't Baycorp, but a credit control company.

Full middle name is, currently in a rest home with dimentia...

they may not use a letterhead because if you were hiding from them... why would you call them?

Return address search didn't come up with anything. It was a PO box in town. It was only a partial match to my (Chinese) name but it didn't match completely. I guess they were trying their luck using electoral roll or something on everything similar. I just worried that I have been id theft-ed or something.

Common practice for these scum bags. Worked at Baycorp for a full week before walking out on them many years ago.

Training consisted of lying and tricking the person you are harassing into paying. There was a huge number of people that I contacted for unpaid bills where Baycorp had selected the wrong person. Yet it was up to the accused to clear their name. Internal competition for getting people to pay. Near no checks for orgs claiming someone owes them funds. Just lodge it and let baycrap hassle them for months whilst they try and prove themselves innocent.

• Like 2

Dan is right, I had Baycorp after me for a while because they were sure I was someone else.

You could always ring the number and f**k with them :D

Yep had that too... repeatedly - Funny when you start asking for order numbers to go on the invoice for your time spent doing their job, and a lot of my "loud voice" the letters of accusation stop flowing.

I did some research. Apparently Baycorp send the same anonymous letter to every person with that name from their data base in the hope that the offending borrower phones them back. Baycorp request the date of birth of each person that responds to check against the DOB of the debtor. Meanwhile Baycorp are harvesting information from each respondent. There are many other groups of similar names contacted as well. Quite sneaky, very dumb and seemingly in contravention of the Privacy Act?

This post is old.

But

f**k Baycorp (and the like)

post-1246-0-37406300-1462842037_thumb.jp

• Like 12

This post is old.

But

f**k Baycorp (and the like)

Top work.

^^ claaaaaaaasico!