Sign in to follow this  
johnythefish

1994 E38 Passenger door

Good afternoon, all you folks. I finally (about 6mths ago) bought a 740i. Super pleased with it, beautiful car to drive. It came with a few minor problems......no surprises there! However after feeling pretty chuffed with myself after fixing the screen washer pump, and leaky sunroof drains. I hadn't used car much since moving down to the North Taranaki. Suddenly I lost drivers side control of passengers window/mirror and it no longer locks/unlock with remote. I'm picking with 3 separate faults on one door, it 'might' be something common, maybe a broken cable between door to body of car. But before I start pulling the car to bits, I wonder if any of you very nice folk have ever heard or experienced something like this on a BMW. One other quick question......the drivers door lock/unlock is temperamental, in so much as sometimes the mechanism works (button pops up) and sometimes it doesn't, any idea's before I pull driver's door panel off? (while I still can!) with the door open. Ok and just one more question; Really needs a set of tyres, the car came with a set of BMW 18" staggered rims (rear wheels wider) now while this looks sexy.......to me anyway, I seems to pose a problem with tyre shops. Presently car has 235/50R18 on all rims. The door information sticker indicates 18" rims to be 255/50R18 (rear I guess) and 235/50R18 (front I guess) I'm no expert, and don't have a load of money to spend on tyres, and it would be nice if front and rear sets could swapped (side to side, not diagonally) for tyre wear, if its a problem then maybe all the same size tyres. But all The tyre shops have had visited so far have given me the crossed arms tut....tut response "I'll have to order those in" stuff. Appreciate any advice, cheers in advance

Check if wheels are staggered

My 740i had staggered wheels.so ideally stagger tyres

About your window/mirror problem.I found this post.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671009

Drivers door lock sounds like the door lock actuator might be had it.

Heres a vid on removing the door panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXQoBOL0l0M

There are a couple of posts on e38.org for replacing the rear door acuators. Same process for the front just easier to access on the front door.

There is a tab on one side of the acuator, holding the acuator onto the door lock. Press it with a screwdriver and the acuator will pop off the door lock. The tabs on the lock mechanism that slot into the actuator will guide you for the replacement of the acuator.

Oh, and unless you like nasty suprises disconnect the battery first.

As to tyre's I have 255's on the front and 275's on the rear. The problem with swapping side to side is that most decent tyre's these days are directional so you cant just swap the wheels from one side to the other.. You could spend the money and have the tyres removed from the rims and then swapped but as long as you've had a wheel allignment done regularly tyre wear shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Personally as they're a heavy car and I do like to be a bit aggresive into the corners sometimes I like to have a good set of tyres gripping the road for me.

Edited by kulgan

Hey, thanks guys for your answers to my questions. While the last reply remedy sounds bazar (I looked at the link) and by trade I am a electronics tech. It doesn't make sense I will give the suggestions a try. As for the tyres I am taking car to a tyre shop in New Plymouth on Friday, he wants to see car and rims before doing anything else for me. Cheers guys. will let you know how I get on