Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Quality Tools and Kits?

Anyone got any recommendations for tool kits / socket sets?

Looking for Socket sets, Ring spanners, Screw Drivers, Pliers etc or the whole lot in a metric tool kit since I have problems losing sockets and stuff all the time I want a proper complete set to start off with instead of the random tools and things i've picked up along the way, sitting in a generic toolbox that I can't for the life of me tell when I've lost something until I'm looking for it.

Pretty much looking for a quality branded set which includes a mix of 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive, Deep sockets / 6pt and 12pt that will last me for quite some years.

Something like this is quite appealing which seems to include everything you could need really

http://www.qualitytools.co.nz/255pc-metric-tool-p-55.html

So far I have been looking at SP Tools, Teng Tools, Toptul and SnapOn (which my flatmate tells me is one of the best, however seems quite overpriced)

Considering either buying a kit like above, or buying a box and adding the trays etc with specifics that I want depending which works out the best. Any recommendations for sites / shops or brands ?

Edited by e30ftw

I've read somewhere that it is preferred to have 12 point spanner (good for tighter spots) and 6 point sockets (more sturdy, less likely to strip).

Stanley and Crescent hand tools, socket set has been serving me well over the years. Have heard those brand you've mentioned but seems to cost a lot to me.

If you already have some tools, why not lay them all out and see what you want to upgrade/need/missing then go from there? Then workout what size tool box you'll want to put everything in. Maybe you need one this big?

post-450-0-55648700-1408533015.jpg

Edited by SpikeyLemon

if your after really nice socket sets, hands down go for Koken or Toptul ;)

A friend has nothing but snapoff, but f**k spending $300+ on a powerbar.

Most of my stuff is King Tony, never let me down, and you can buy it in sets or by the piece so you can build up a good collection without spending a huge chunk of cash at once. Most engineering places stock it.

All my tools are either snapon, koken or toptul.

However snapon is bloody expensive

Edited by Luke P

spend the $ on the branded expensive stuff for complex and important tools.

$300 for a power bar. ffs.

Snapon trade on their lifetime warranty. So really worth it for those in the trade. but less so for the home mechanic.

Ive had good runs out of lifetime warrenty toolpro stuff from supercheap for bits like power bars and ratchets etc.

But found more expensive sockets fit the bolts better. Less chance of rounding. even more sp with torx.bits etc.

Was very impressed by both snapon and jonnesway tools.

spend the $ on the branded expensive stuff for complex and important tools.

$300 for a power bar. ffs. 

Snapon trade on their lifetime warranty. So really worth it for those in the trade. but less so for the home mechanic.

Even then some times they are reluctant to replace parts under warranty

SnapOn and BluePoint are pretty much the same thing, but with a significant price difference.

Heard good things about Koken, but haven't used any.

Stahlwille spanners are the absolute business (imho), but you may need to buy in from Germany to get decent prices. They are typically slimmer than most, but so well made they are less likely to cause problems.

I have a couple of sets of 'Halfords Professional' spanners which are really nice to use. Very similar to early Kamasa kit. (Halfords are like a UK version of Repco.)

• Like 1

I was a mechanic for ten years, I advise you not to buy the super expensive stuff. You don't need it if your not on the tools for a crust.

If I were you if go and buy a set with tool box and draws with the foam inserts. I never had these as they take up too much room but It's easy to see if you've misplaced anything at the end of the day. A real money saver if you've lost tools in the past.

Find a friend who has an account with Repco or BNT I find there both good brands and will be plenty good enough for what your after. They sell a sh*t ton of different kitsets. Get your mate a bottle of something for there troubles. Most people are happy to help out.

If you want a list of tools or me to suggest a kit send me a pm and I'll have a closer look.

Just a couple more notes:
Go for single hex sockets, you can put more torque through them with out having to worry about rounding the head off.
If you want to spend some money on somthing... get a snap-on ratchet, there increadably fine an worth the money.
Make sure you have a good 1/4 socket set, deep and normal sockets. Out of all my tools I have (I have lots) I use a simple BNT set with snap-on ratchet the most.

Hope that helped.

Edited by Steve K-B
  • Like 2

Still using my powerbuilt set I got 11 years ago. Never had an issue. Lifetime warranty. Can buy all the pieces as individuals which is handy when they go wandering at the racetrack.

I bought old sidchrome and teng tools for socket sets 1/2 and 3/8. The quality there is decent. A new teng screwdriver collection. My spanners are an assortment of crap right through to sidchrome. I spent money on quality t-bar alen keys loose alen keys and torx bits, both the keys and 3/8 sockets.

A decent toolbox is an overlooked item. Any day on trademe theres a great quality used toolbox full of quality tools for bargain prices. If you shelled out $600 - $800 depending on contents for a used set inc 9 drawer toolbox youd be laughing.

The king tony set I bought about 10 years ago has handled most of the abuse I've given it. Find a sale and go hard. This one was half price at 1600. Added some other bits like torque wrench, hex, spline, torx bits etc and some drives for the battery drill.

+1 for 1/4" deep and normal set.

Cheers guys, definitely a lot to take in and consider but not in a rush to sink into anything.

Dave, that is some solid advice. Im for sure after the #3 "Pro" type tools rather than Workshop level - I will definitely look into the Teng tools range as I was considering building up my own set and that sounds quite ideal. And yup deep sockets and all that are on my list, too many times I've come across those hard to get bolts which would be a breeze with the right sockets!

My current tools consist of random sockets and ratchets I've picked up along the way, bought individually. I once had a complete Jonnesway kit which I still have the ratchets, but the sockets are mostly gone because I kept them in a small throw-all-in box instead of seating them back into the proper tray box. I'm basically missing all the common e30 sizes 8mm, 10mm, 13mm etc.

Those king tony tools aren't bad actually. I've a 1/2 inch ratchet I've had for probably 25 years. I've abused the living sh1t out of it and it functions fine. By abuse I mean I've used it as a power bar and a hammer on occasion. That's probably not saying much, but I've used crap ratchets that I've sunk a bit of weight into to shift a nut and the teeth have let go inside it and I've ended up punching my knuckles into a rusty chassis or engine block..

I'm not too fond of my 1/2 inch Teng ratchet, it works but it's not that smooth, it has a rubberised 'outer' that I can tell will get pretty tatty with use and time. The selector for left/right on it is just a puny little switch. Unlike a nice solid clunky button of the OG Aussie made Sidchrome.

I have one snapon screwdriver, strangely I bought it solely to swap binding screws on my snowboards :-/ I've had that 20 years too and it's had a hard life, functions like brand new and I'm confident I'll abuse it until I die without it failing.

Cheers guys, definitely a lot to take in and consider but not in a rush to sink into anything.

Dave, that is some solid advice. Im for sure after the #3 "Pro" type tools rather than Workshop level - I will definitely look into the Teng tools range as I was considering building up my own set and that sounds quite ideal. And yup deep sockets and all that are on my list, too many times I've come across those hard to get bolts which would be a breeze with the right sockets!

My current tools consist of random sockets and ratchets I've picked up along the way, bought individually. I once had a complete Jonnesway kit which I still have the ratchets, but the sockets are mostly gone because I kept them in a small throw-all-in box instead of seating them back into the proper tray box. I'm basically missing all the common e30 sizes 8mm, 10mm, 13mm etc.

Mate bnt is having a sale on jonnesway tools atm, my mates and i use them all the time... pretty good on the price side of things and the tools aint sh*t

It's a pity you're not in Auckland, I can highly recommend Wallace Heron engineers in Pukekohe for tools. Extensive range of Koken and King Tony kit, will bring in Stahlwille on request, no obligation to buy either. The shop is stocked by former tradesmen so they know what they're on about.

Avoid Bahco, my experience with a 1/4 & 1/2 inch set was less than satisfactory. 6 point sockets have been ok, but the 1/4 inch ratchet blew its gear after a couple months, both ratchets seemed to have pretty coarse gears compared to my koken replacements

I dunno what Teng really costs, but I got shitloads of it really cheap. I can break ANYTHING, but haven't broken anything Teng... yet.

I once snapped the ring in half on a 17mm spanner - It was possibly related to having the meter long handle from the jack on it, but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

I use Bahco, have had my main set for about 6-7 years now, all the bits also available individually for replacing stuff

I also have a Repco Trade card so i can get it for you if needed.

My kit is built up of many sources over the years. Nobody regrets buying quality. I managed 'reasonable quality' most of the time.

Spanners:

Aigo R&OE metric set, very traditional design (read heavy and well-ribbed) and made in Japan, had them 25 years and they're still going strong, augmented by Powerbuilt and Craftsman for those funky euro sizes like 16 and 18mm. Recently added King Tony offset ring spanner set, bought in preference over Teng as it was 25 bucks cheaper and had a more useful couple of sizes. It's not beautifully finished, but is very serviceable. I have Craftsman flare nut spanners that have had light duty over 20 years and look new.

Sockets:

I have plenty of Craftsman (unconditionally guarenteed forever), some Halfords (time served in UK), Powerbuilt, and odds n ends from Proto, Sidchrome, Koken, King Tony, repco. Recently acquired Jonnesway (impressive finish and reasonable pricing from BNT) sockets. latest acquisition: Powerbuilt flex socket set 3/8" on rail, beautiful. Ratchets - mostly craftsman. You can't go past a good ratchet.

Screwdrivers:

Belzer (unobtanium these days), Witte, Snap On (indestructible and likely to outlast me), and the Powerbuilt seem pretty strong-tipped these days.

Sets? Here's my 2c worth:

Get a couple of good quality ammo boxes military surplus. 5.56 box for 1/4", 50 cal for 3/8". They're strong, easy to carry, and have a O-ring seal. Buy cheap socket rails in 1/4, and 3/8. lay out your sockest on the rails in order, make a list of the gaps - go buy them (on sale). Now you know/can see if anything's missing. No need to throw out your baby (your current tools) with the bathwater. Always have a rag in your toolboxes to clean your kit before putting it away - then its ready to go next time.

Sizes? All of them.

As somebody else said, you're going to need the lot working on Euros. 1/4 and 1/2, though I've been finding the really tight stuff 1/2" is just too big - 3/8 is called for also. Torx, Deep, standard and even flex sockets. Wobble extensions and Universal Joints.

Brands?

Of the brands I've isted above, they're all very seviceable. Never broken a socket. Plating has chipped on a couple of sockets through abuse on rattle gun or very long bar. Buying in NZ, Powerbuilt, Teng, King Tony, Jonnesway, even Repco seem pretty reaasonable.

Facom and Stahlwille look beaut, but not justified on my budget. I like Koken but am too tight to buy a set.

Rather than select a fave brand, I'd find a good tool supplier and stick wth him. When I started acquisitions I had a tool rep who had me on his monthly calling list - I was in an office environment rather than a workshop, but he knew what I wanted and my money was good enough for him, and I got good kit at good prices.

Hope you enjoyed my brain-dump.

• Like 1

Have (new old stock 1960s ) sidchrome set for the mini(s) and blue point and 30 y/o sidchrome metric sets. Seem fine for home use. Screwdrivers have been Stanley but I've broken a few along the way

Can anyone recommend a suitable brand for home use air ratchet and socket set ( both metric and sae) ?

Does anyone do a 240v impact wrench. I dont always need portability and battery life is a limit i could do without.