Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

Quality Tools and Kits?

I use Bahco, have had my main set for about 6-7 years now, all the bits also available individually for replacing stuff

I also have a Repco Trade card so i can get it for you if needed.

Where do you get bahco stuff individually? I tried a few places for a new ratchet and 21mm socket. Ended up being cheaper to buy another set.

I needed replacements because they got pinched not because of wear.

I'd absolutely recommend their socket sets to everyone.

my mate and fellow spanner weilder has plenty of Bahco, I think the sockets, extensions, and ratchets are very good. the matte-finish is nicely non-slip and easy to handle, and they're handling a bit of rattle-gun and air-ratchet abuse as well. spanners a bit bendy compared with my Aigos, but effective nonetheless.

I recently picked up a couple of Jonnesway 3/8" ratchets from BNT recently, a stubby (moulded grip), and a polished standard 72 tooth. I'm very impressed, nice feel, little enough play so that I don't feel I've bought cheap shite when using them.

Where do you get bahco stuff individually? I tried a few places for a new ratchet and 21mm socket. Ended up being cheaper to buy another set.

I needed replacements because they got pinched not because of wear.

I'd absolutely recommend their socket sets to everyone.

Mitre 10 Mega are agents for them

I do also agree on buying kits is cheaper, i went through and replaced all my missing bits a few months back, and found it was cheaper to buy a mini set, so now have some double up stuff too which cant hurt

Does anyone do a 240v impact wrench. I dont always need portability and battery life is a limit i could do without.

Yea Makita do, seen a few builders on site using them. And I'd say Milwaukee will do too. I have a 18v battery one and goes pretty good, and a 12v, and a ratchet, and most of the catalogue actually :P

I'm looking for a quality tool chest for work with deep draws. Only dimension that is critical is that it isn't wider than 700mm. Will pay for quality.

Next I'm after a big f**koff toolbox for the shed. As big as I can get for $1500. Can be of lower quality just need somewhere lockable to store tools

I swear by my Fuller Pro 1/2" socket set. Ive given it hell and nothing has broken, and it has a lifetime warranty.

DO NOT buy cheap hex and torx sockets, i made that mistake once and it cost me. The Bahco hex sockets i got are good quality, much tighter fit in the bolt than the cheap SCA ones i had.

In terms of my sockets, anything under 12mm is 6 point for me, and any spanner under 8mm is 6 point.

Yea Makita do, seen a few builders on site using them. And I'd say Milwaukee will do too. I have a 18v battery one and goes pretty good, and a 12v, and a ratchet, and most of the catalogue actually :P

I'm a builder and I have the bosch one.

I chose it because it acts as a 1/2 inch rattle gun AND a drill driver.

Bosch-18V-Impact-Driver-Wrench.jpg

Its exceptional.

Edited by zero

I have a Ryobi One+ 1/2" Impact wrench (which like the Bosch one comes with an adaptor to become a drill driver too) and its bloody great for around the garage. Heaps of torque, and being One+ i have a few other tools too that all use the same batteries.

Ok, so Repco has 40% off handtools this long weekend, so I rocked in there today to buy some stuff.

I have a 7 drawer repco rollcab with a powerbuilt 9 drawer tool chest on top and I have a large craftsman socket and spanner set that fills the rollcab.

I wanted to buy some tool trays for the top chest like some of these;

http://www.powerbuilttools.co.nz/images/Powerbuilt%20Foam%20Tool%20Trays%20-%20March%202014.pdf

Repco guys said they were 40% off but when they looked them up on the computer the computer said no.

Same for the repco tool trays.

I'm pissed off and thinking its false advertising.

What do you guys think?

Were they in stock? Or special order?

Edited by huff3r

Were they in stock? Or special order?

Not in stock. Apparently its normally only at the warehouse as its not a popular item.

Not in stock. Apparently its normally only at the warehouse as its not a popular item.

Did the advertising state the discount included storage and accessories? I have an uncle that has been with rep for about 20 years now, he's the first to admit their margins are among the worst in NZ and they deliberately hire staff with little practical knowledge of cars to keep their overheads as low as possible. His advice to me was only to shop there for the oil specials, for everything else go to the factory backed parts suppliers or BNT.

I already have the storage.

I was trying to buy handtools to put in the storage.

Checkout the link i posted to see what I mean

Koken, Stahlwille, Snapon. I started with Stanley, which i ditched after their bulky primitive design got too much for me, then teng which most of the sockets split on me. Built up my kit with SP, Wurth/Zebra, koken and Snapon, when my SP and wurth bits break i replace with Snapon.

I know as a home mechanic you probably wont need the reliability or warranty that comes with Snapon but it would make sense to me to at least get a set of flank-drive combo spanners and a pivot head 3/8 socket wrench to keep the swearing and knuckle bashing to a minimum.

Also I hear Mac tools are really good too, no experience with them though.

Look on the snapon aus website now and you'll find a whole lot of specials for spanners and sockets. I can order them through my local rep if you want.

GL!

Almost every sale at repco I've ever seen has been store stock only..

Edited by huff3r

Almost every sale at repco I've ever seen has been store stock only..

Gutted.

That means those tools will never be on sale which sucks as they are expensive :(

Pretty much. Best option is trade discount if you know someone who can get it for you.

Edited by huff3r

Pretty much. Best option is trade discount if you know someone who can get it for you.

How much cheaper is trade discount?

How much cheaper is trade discount?

It varies a lot. I think it's cost + a percentage or something. I don't regularly shop there but I get trade through NZDF.

Snap on sockets are a waste of money. Save 2/3rd and buy Koken, or Caterpillar sockets which are rebranded Snap On at half the price.

I've found that torx and hex sockets, it doesn't matter what brand, they all break. Snap On, Blue Point, Cat and Koken I've broken. Replaced no questions asked.

Snap on ratchets 80 tooth are well worth the price, easily the best out there. Once you e used these you'll never go back to Koken, SP etc.

• Like 1

S K Wayne 1/2 drive set imperial and metric in 18 years as a mechanic only cracked one 3/4 socket and that was when using it with a rattle gun, wrong application replaced it even when I told them what had happened.

Koken 3/8 drive set imperial, whit and metric have only replaced ratchet but due to abuse.

Sk for ring open ended spanners better feel and thicker material

Sidcrome ring spanners running out of money just a poor apprentice

Stanley screw driver set

Fuller side cutters, pliers, long nose, cir clip pliers interior exterior

Had a 6 draw tool chest as main unit but a smaller one for other items, volt meter, steel rule, slide verniers etc

+1 for King Tony. I get all mine from Wairau Engineering Supplies in Albany. Awesome price point. Great quality.

Have some Stahwille spanners that I inherited which are just beautiful.

You'll break any 12-point socket if you gorilla it.

Edited by duvey