Sign in to follow this  
Steve K-B

Plasti dip - plastic paint, Any one used it?

i painted a whole car with it but i wouldnt do it again. painting wheels is a dream tho really easy to use have use pink orange and black and all worked well what you wanna paint with it???

Yup cool stuff. first coat needs to be very thin to stop runs. Easy after that. thicker coats are easier to remove than thin.

My wheels are plasti-dipped white, Has certainly lasted a long time but could do with a respray soon.
It's as easy as ripping it all off (Just peels off with some persuasion) and re-spraying.

Definitely worth doing for a durable, decent finish.

I did my rims in black Plasti dip, was easy, quick and covered up the curbing better than a respray would of :)

Posted Image

• Like 1

That sounds good so far.

Depending on what the final colour/result I was thinking of doing my wheels on my rally car. It's cheep enough that if it doesn't work it's no big deal.

Might source some and give it a go!

Thanks all

About $30 a can. Took just over two cans to do four wheels, and it was a really good thick coat finish.. Might need more if its for Rally?

Edited by MISS BM
  • Like 1

Have used it and like others have said, first coat very thin (DipYourCar on YouTube shows this). As in, almost a transparent mist. After that build up coat thickness, and make sure to apply evenly. Mine was a pain in the ass to get off because I applied it too thin in places.

• Like 1

Used about $350 worth (28ish cans plus guns and tape etc) to do a 350z in black lol. Wheels took 1.5-2.5 cans depending on layers. 5-6 layers is good or pretty much keep layering until there is no difference between the last coat and current.

Yeah goes for about $30 a can at repco but unsure how many colours they stock.

I used black plastidip to paint my boot spoiler for a quick and easy alternative to using a flex additive to paint it due to them being rubber.

Looks really good and is holding up well to the elements so far. It recommends leaving 30 minutes in between coats but I found it peeled extremely easily having done that and instead did about 6 coats with 5 minutes drying time followed by a couple more and it's holding up alright. Unsure if that was a result of my technique or what, Y.M.M.V

I'm also tossing up between using Plasti-dip, and actually getting a set of wheels powdercoated. The issue is, if I decide just to plasti-dip them I'll get the tyres fitted to them first obviously, but if it turns out crap then I'll have to get the tyres removed to get them powdercoated. Question is: Is it worth $60ish of plasti-dip doing a full set of wheels, or would I be better off just spending $300 powdercoating them? How long does the plasti-dip last before it has to be peeled off and reapplied? And can you wash the wheels without it peeling off? I do like that I can just change colours easily this way, but don't really want to be spending $60 on more dip every few months if it has to be re-applied.

Never used this stuff obviously, so sorry for all the questions.

Worth it if you arent sure of colour. Cant change powdercoat if you change your mind.

Seen it last a couple of years on wheels.

Has a satin finish so dark colours are easier to keep clean.

Can be washed just dont scrub with a stiff brush.

To be honest given the choice again, I'd powdercoat.

Reason being:

i) Cost of Plastidip
ii) Preparation time (I cleaned took all wheels off and cleaned them back and front, spotless)
ii) Time dipping

All up I spent about 4 hours on it.

$60 each time allows you to do it 5 times before it ends up being same cost as powder dipping.

Just get tyres fitted, dont do anything until youre sure u will kedp tyres then plastidip it.

Its easy. Nuff said