Sign in to follow this  
qube

Considering a r53 mini cooper s 2003-2005 ish

Any advice from nz owners? Have read up on other forums but looking for owners expericence on them.

Have driven a 2012 r56 when it first came out and it was fun but prefer the supercharger.

Also driven an older 2004 cooper non s but its not what i want..

Mid 2004 onwards are the most sorted ones (lci/facelift), they've got 170bhp over the 163bhp they originally came out with. Plus they just feel altogether better to drive. Weak points are cooling system (mostly thermostats and radiators leaking) and engine oil leaks. They're a bit rattley due to the firm ride but when you find a nice one they're an awesome little car : ) and yeh the charger sounds mint. Loads of mods out there too ref smaller pulleys etc

The electric power steering pump is expensive when it gives up the ghost too but I believe they can be repaired and are easy enough to get at. They're a fairly common fault but I had one for 3 years and it was sweet as

Yep, power steering, engine oil leaks and the two stage fan resistor. Fan is an easy fix with bits from Jaycar, oil leaks more troublesome. My boys have two R53's (youtube nzkarter52) and we finished up with a full engine rebuild at 120kms chasing an oil leak on the older one. Not sure what sort of life it had had previously, but when we took the head off we found that the gasket had fretted on the block and when we decided to skim the block deck and check out the big ends, we found that they were all shot. Genuine bits are hideously expensive for shells etc... ($35 for half a shell) but the canny Tom Taylor of Taylor Automotive fitted Mazda piston rings and some obscure Izuzu shells for bugger all. Now runs really well and is great to drive. Later Peugeot turbo engines seem to have a habit of dropping valve seats. We have done heaps of little mods to both cars and the boys would be happy to share if you do end up with an R53. - all the best R