Sign in to follow this  
darrencnz

98 Z3 M52B28 Exhaust O2 Sensors Question

Hey people

So i'm about ready to slot this into my E30 but because i purchased the engine already removed and in bits, i have a couple of questions about the O2 sensors in the exhaust.

The factory stainless headers have a threaded nut in each one and look like they have been plugged from the factory.

After looking online, i have found that the Z3 (from which this motor is out of) has 2 sensors down near the cat convertors, looks like one is before and one is after the cat convertors, i dont intend to run one, so am not really sure how to approach this whole thing.

So my question is, where should i put these sensors in the new exhaust system, i am guessing i need to purchase specific sensors for this engine, but is this still relevant if the exhaust system is completely different from factory. Would love to know what everyone else has done on this engine swap.

Cheers

e36 328i harness only has provisioning for 2 sensors, one on each bank. As long as you place them in the headers, or somewhere abit further back (before merging together if you plan to run a single exhaust), should be fine.

I don't actually think Euro M52's had the downstream 02 sensors

Awesome, thanks man. I just dont like to just assume, it's how you mess things up...

So isee the 2 plugs on the harness, one seems different to the other which is why i asked if i needed 2 different sensors as i thought the plugs may be different for the before and after sensors so you dont get them around the wrong way.

So can i use the holes in the headers and just plug them in there? I would prefer that option for a number of reasons, whenever i'm at the wrecking yards, they always seem to be further down which is why i wasnt sure if i can use those holes.

Darren

Possibly, Depends how you modify and fit the headers. On mine I had to relocate one because the way it was sitting there was no room for the sensor.