Sign in to follow this  
michhod

here we go

Been discussed before. Has come down in price since then. Has had amazing care and attention spent on it. When he says new engine and gearbox he means brand new crate items from the factory. Replaced just because the old one had worn in.

Well priced but small market.

Similar priced to an m5. So choice is m5 with 100,000kms or a 540i with 5000kms

Pretty sure it was always 30k

Yes was always 30k. And yes, been discussed - brand new motor and trans. Not kidding when he says 50k in receipts.

Dreamer. How much would it be if it were auto? $10k?

Crate engine or not, for $30k there's no choice between an M5 or a 540i. Throwing that sort of money at an otherwise unremarkable production car makes no sense to me, unless it's restoring a classic.

I understand why he's set his price at the level he has, but I'll be utterly astounded if it sells for anything more than 55% of asking.

Mad!

• Like 2

A e39 540 6 speed is a rare car ,probably fewer 540 6 spds than e39 m5s (in NZ)but strange marketing approach alright.

Edited by kiwi535

Its a very clever selling technique called " the wife told me i have try sell the car but she didnt say how hard i have to try"

• Like 3

E60 M5s are coming down in value to the $40K mark. Doesn't make a $30K E39 sound so credible, new engine or not.

E60 M5s are coming down in value to the $40K mark. Doesn't make a $30K E39 sound so credible, new engine or not.

E60's will keep coming down. Nobody is going to want to touch those in a few years.

This is true. Though it's more a point about the amount of car you can now obtain in that price bracket. Everyone on here understands that new engine or otherwise, it is still a 12 year old 540. It isn't a special car, and it isn't worth $30K. If he was asking a $5K premium over market value then that would be more realistic.

And not had a wife or girlfriend at the time

I'm certainly not knocking the guys efforts, and it is certainly true that there are probably more M5s in NZ than factory manual 540i.

Realistically though, it appears he's attempting to recoup some of the money spent on what is an unarguably lovely car, but a fairly unremarkable one. Maybe, just maybe, there is someone in the country willing to spend 30 large on a whip like this, but I suspect the target market is just too small.

Does pose an interesting question though - just what is a genuine manual E39 540i worth here? It's not like there are many around to benchmark a price from :huh:

Would a range of 13-16k be reasonable for a sub 100,000km, non Motorsport optioned car? Still feel it's a shame that no production E39s ever got an LSD from factory. Guess that's one for the E34s!

I dunno. Last of the E39's, 78k on chassis, spanking engine and gearbox just run in, all the desirable bits, V8 and manual... Could be worth it to the right person. I would advise those who are genuinely interested to talk to Ross at bm workshop.

I've seen factory manual E34 v8's sell for $20k, so really... Don't believe this is unreasonable.

Scoffed the first time I saw it listed, however have had time to think about it.

There's a factory manual 540i with about 250K on it in Chch for $8K.

The other 22K would pay for a fair bit of stuff... and it won't need doing all at once :-)

The two cars won't be in the same league, but I'm not concinved he's too fussed about it selling in a hurry.

Sure I said this last time. But anyway..

I see the new crate motor as nothing but a waste of money.

I would have rather had the original motor rebuilt (keeping the matching numbers). And if I was burning money I would have had the motor built to a much higher standard than the generic stock M60. Forged pistons, Cams... Making the most of the manual box. The M60 is no powerhouse but can be woken up.

I have to use this GIF again.

Joker-Burning-Money.gif

• Like 1

Same money it could have had a rebuilt engine with a supercharger and m5 rear end. Which might be worth closer to 30k

Blue interior remindes me of a japanese ricer, couldnt live with it myself.

Blue interior remindes me of a japanese ricer, couldnt live with it myself.

It could certainly be worse....

smurfskinsdkze.jpg

or Beige :o