Sign in to follow this  
Zippy

E36 Suspension upgrade?

Hi everyone. I need a bit of help in deciding what to do with the pretty hard ride on my Z3 2.8, tends to crash a bit and tram line now.

Car has MSport suspension which is getting on a bit. I understand that the car sits lower than standard so do I need to fit oe struts and shocks or can I swap the car to standard ride height Bilsteins or Konis or somthing else and standard springs for a more comfy ride. Would be interested in your opinions. Ta.

Ring Stocks for Koni, they'll be able to tell you whats best. I currently use Bilsteins paired with Eibach springs in my E36, comfortable ride quality but a little too low for my liking. Autolign are the NZ agents for Bilstein, not cheap though.

If you're just after factory spec ride quality why not use OEM struts? I'm not sure there's too much difference in spring rate from std to msport springs, just different ride heights (someone wanna chime in and confirm here?)

Replace shocks with quality items (OEM, Koni, Bilstein etc), redo front top hats and rear mounting plates, have a pro check out your bushes & ball joints and I think you'll enjoy the results. Just don't buy Monroe. They suck!

Thanks Ahmedsinc that's what I'm thinking of doing, going to standard height. Just thought oem would be too expensive and haven't looked into it. Would oem be Sachs?

Not sure I see the point in lifting the ride height. Taller springs do not necessarily mean softer. There are places around that can source OEM without going through the stealerships. As for what brand shock on your car, I have absolutely no idea. Google will though. Bear in mind that the M-sport suspension is a factory option, so I'm not sure I follow you on 'going to standard ride height'. Again, talk to George Stocks, they also carry H&R and Koni springs.

Price wise you'll get what you pay for. Also, the experts will be able to tell you exactly what you can and cannot do, as well as pricing. Good luck!

Crashing and banging is not normally associated with tired worn out shocks and as commented earlier lowered doesn't need to be harsh.

And tram lining doesn't come about from tired shocks - it usually comes from stuffed control arm bushes , ball joints and top mounts.

Go Koni's and H&R from Stocks and you can set it up as you want it they know what works.

Expect also to need some bushes and ball joints , do the lot and transform your car back to better than when it rolled out of the show room.

P.S. I find Bilsteins harsh and I LIKE a firm ride

Agreed, looking to move to Koni or KYB depending on budget once engine build is done. As needs must, though!

I thought of going to a standard ride height as I don't like the lowered look especially seeing as my car may have sunk further due to age of springs. I'd prefer the car to have a more comfortable ride rather than a harsh feel, it is very nice on a smooth road though.

Keep in mind you do have a Z3, not a 5 series so you are going to feel a lot more of the road in general ;)