Sign in to follow this  
Lachie

S62 Wanted

Hi guys, I sold my old Avus E39 last year but got the itch again a couple of months ago. Bought a low KM but but rough looking and running Silverstone one with huge potential. Got Vanos done by Graeme at BM Workshop and although that solved one problem (extremely well, he's a magician) it presented another one being a more guttural noise from within.

Long story short, it looks like I can either do a repair with the risk of throwing a rod out the side of the block at any point or replace the motor. What I'd like to do is a find another S62 to drop in there. Problem is of course, I'm on a tight budget....

Does anyone of any S62s out there for a good price? Can do a good deal on jewellery in return (wife's a jeweller). How much would your mrs love you?? Not only are you selling an engine but you're getting her jewellery. Amazing opportunity!

Cheers guys,

Lachie

Edited by Lachie

Jooles and I went to look at that Silverstone blue M5 earlier this year. Indeed had a very concerning knocking sound from the sump area. Has the mechanic removed the upper and lower oilpans to confirm spun bearing(s) ? usually when they start to knock the damage is already done and will have more than likely damaged the very expensive crankshaft. The longer it's driven the more that spun bearing(s) eat away at the perfectly machined bearing journal finish on the crank.

You're probably going to want to look at sourcing a motor o'seas...... Good luck!!

Edited by BreakMyWindow

Yep sump removed, indeed it is a crankshaft issue so that's why I'm thinking I might quit while I'm ahead and get a fresh motor. Have had a look overseas, bloody expensive.... Might concentrate on getting it looking pretty then re-visit motor issue.

Edited by Lachie

Wow someone actually bought it

Would it be easier to source a e90 m3 v8? Maybe more around?

I thought about that but apparently they're a bit problematic. Unlike the S62 of course.....

Would an M62 non vanos be of interest. I have a 6 speed manual gearbox, driveshaft, diff, diff cradle etc etc to go with it

Would an M62 non vanos be of interest. I have a 6 speed manual gearbox, driveshaft, diff, diff cradle etc etc to go with it

Thank you, might power up if anything though.

How badly marked is the crank? Is it possible to get the crank journals re-ground and then over-sized bearing shells fitted. Always used to be an economic way or repairing an engine - provided you did the strip down and re-build yourself.

anything is repairable (with enough skill/money etc).

I once brought a Suzuki Van for Dad with a run big end... the guy who I brought it off (it was his Dairy van) went to all the effort of stripping the engine down, put a new pair of bearing shells in, then sealed EVERYTHING back together with red silicone. Including the head gasket. When he fitted the new bearing shells, not only did he not clean up/grind the crank, but he left the old shells in with it!!!! It didn't run too quietly!

So we had a crank that had worn about 5mm off the journal, and was a lovely blue colour.

We had the crank spray-welded up to the right diameter and then ground it back to the right size. Worst case is something similar for the S62, but I'd have thought like said above - grind to suit oversize shells and reassemble (with a supercharger for efficiency and safety etc).

Dont be scared off by a few sounds within. Give HellBM a phone, for either repairing it .. or he has a s62 there if that doesnt work out.

^ I can't see Ray selling that low km facelift S62 at all Josh ... that's his back up motor or another secret build haha!!

Good luck to the OP with finding a replacement. They are becoming quite rare these S62s .. and rightly so given how brilliant it is.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

I've looked into it. I reckon best bet is to import a whole car from the UK. You should be able to land one with a decent engine for sub $20K including shipping and tax and you could make a decent chunk of that back parting everything you don't need.

Had a weak moment and offered my spare S62 for this dilemma ($6000).Nothing came of it.

Thankfully that generous offer passed otherwise I`d be kicking myself when the time comes to use it in another Hellbm Project.

• Like 5

$6K! Ray, that's a steal.... Lucky you didn't offer that to me or you might be down one S62 right now!!

Edit: Also a pity Lachie didn't check the boards before buying that Silverstone one. He might not be in the predicament he's in... Should have kept the Avus one, Lachie! I see it now and again and the new owner has done a great job restoring it! Looks mint!!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

haha im out of touch on the whos asked who and whos got what goss .... dam house reno :D

The s65 is not suited to the e39 imo - lacks torque down low. Plus it'd be a lot more extra work getting it to talk to older electronics.

The s65 is not suited to the e39 imo - lacks torque down low. Plus it'd be a lot more extra work getting it to talk to older electronics.

Not impossible ... but very very hard yes. Lots of different sensors types and the digital side of things talks true CAN not LIN bus.

Ha I disappear for a few weeks and I've missed all the action. Yep should've kept the Avus one, was a great car. I'm glad to hear he's minted it.

Ray's deal was very tempting but add to that re-ringed Vanos units and swapping engines, it added up pretty quickly so decided to do shells with BM Workshop for a very reasonable price (Graeme has been fantastic once again). I'm happy to resurrect what is otherwise a good, low KM S62.

Thanks all for your advice, I'm just looking forward to be driving one again. Need a new rear boot lid (Kiwi one) and front bumper if anyone knows of any sitting around.

Edited by Lachie
  • Like 1