Sign in to follow this  
Jpclarke89

E36 328i Manual Conversion Questions

Excuse the noobness and repeating something that has probably been asked a thousand times, but what manual g/boxes can be used for an e36 328i manual conversion? I was looking on realOEM and unless I read it incorrectly it seemed all manual transmissions for the e36 are the same, but 325, 328, and m3 have a bigger gearbox output? Some clarification on what will, and won't work would be great :)

Not changing the diff when converting to manual gives some wicked acceleration, but high revs at 100kph. Still usable though.

Thanks for clearing that up Ron, I read the output thing through some other forum when I was trying to google answers to no avail. Obviously my knowledge in this area isn't great. Hypothetically speaking (as I wouldn't consider doing this), could you run a getrag 200 or 250G with the m54b28, or would it break easily? And more realistically speaking will the Getrag S5D250G run with the b28 with no issues, as I can imagine the ZF manuals are hard to find/costly?

And yes had already planned on changing the diff at the same time, thanks.

it'd be fine, the B28 is hardly a powerhouse in the first place. Have some mechanical sympathy and itll keep going.

• Like 2

Pretty sure my JDM 328i Auto didn't have 4.45 diff.

Converted to manual using a '325i' box - real world was like 'Japanese car' ratios. 2nd would top out around 80km. 100km in 5th was just over 3k rpm.

Initially I was worried it was too short, but after a while I prefer it. If you did A LOT of open road driving / 100km m.way, I would think twice.

yeah, i dont know the ratio of my old 323i diff, but when i converted it to manual using 318i stuff it was great around town but on the open road it was a pain pulling over 3000rpm at 100kph. Was always left wanting a 6th gear. In saying that my M3 pulls about 3000rpm (just below i think) at 100kph and its all good.

I wouldnt worry too much about which box you use, just make sure the rest of the hardware (drive shaft, shifter etc) are all suitable for both your engine (4 and 6 cylinder use different hardware) and the gearbox you use.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the jap import 328i autos got a 3.46 final drive, 323i got the 3.64. 3.46 is the ideal ratio IMO, highway rpm are still good but you get far better acceleration than a 3.07 or 3.15. 3.23 would be nice but bloody hard to find locally in medium case size. Is on my priority list of to-dos for my 325i.